Democracy in Ancient India

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
From the Vaishali excavations (new one)
----
About a kilometre and a half from the historical village of Vaishali in Bihar, archaeologists and a team of local villagers are digging deep into its past.

Raja Vishal ka Garh, spread over 81 acres and which has a mound near Vaishali village that is believed to be the remains of an ancient parliament house, has thrown up some more remarkable secrets recently: a 50-metre-long and 21-metre-high mud rampart built in the late phase of the Mauryan period (321-185 BC) and Shunga period (185-73 BC) and a brick fortification that runs above the rampart.

S K Manjul, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) Patna Circle director and in-charge of the excavation, says the findings are significant. "This is one of the biggest findings in recent Bihar excavations," says Manjul.

According to Manjul, the discovery of 'secular structures' (structures that hold no idols of gods and goddesses) point towards a democratic set-up. Though it would be too early to claim that this was one of the power centres of the Lichchhavi clan, signs of a fortified city with settlements around it point to a well-laid out plan that housed both the ruling class and its subjects.

Bijay Choudhary, director of the Patna-based KP Jaiswal Research Institute agrees. "The findings at Vaishali are very significant. The excavations have the potential to reveal findings till the Chalcolithic age. It is a happy sign that the ASI has found traces of a fortified city at Raja Vishal ka Garh and signs of a democratic set-up."

Sachin Kumar Tiwari, camp in-charge and assistant archaeologist, explains: "Mud rampart and brick fortification show the presence of a fort here. A depression near the fortification shows the presence of a moat to protect it from invaders. The signs of a settlement show it must have belonged to the ruling class."

The findings hold great importance because they found that the settlement within the moat that probably housed the ruling class, and the one beyond the moat—presumably for the commoners—were within a radius of four kilometres.

Tiwari says while the excavation has revealed clear traces of human settlement till the Shunga period (185-73 BC), ASI has found terracotta figurines, shiny pottery shards and punched copper coins, which could date back to 600 BC when Vaishali used to be a power centre of the Lichchhavi Republic. He, however, makes clear that no traces of human settlements beyond 185 BC have been found yet. "We are close to establishing the links of all that has been excavated at the Vaishali site. The wall rampart and the brick fortification are big findings. As we go to the last layer at the site, we will get carbon dating done to know how close we are to Lichchhavi," says Manjul.

Vaishali is not new to history. Historians say one of the world's first democratic republics flourished here in the 6th century BC during the time of the Vajjis and the Lichchhavis. The Ramayana talks of King Vishal who ruled here before the Lichchhavis. Vaishali was once also the centre for trade and industry.

Excavations at the site have unearthed evidence of a drainage system and a small ring well from the Kushan period, which may have been used to dispose garbage. "Once we excavate horizontally, we can get a complete look at the drainage system. The key trench will be excavated till there are no signs of human habitation," says Tiwari.

The excavation has also yielded terracotta figurines of snakes, elephants and dogs, of deer horns belonging to the Gupta, Kushan and Shunga periods. A cylindrical gold bead from the Kushan period has also been discovered.

The excavations will continue till the end of June, before the rains arrive. Excavations were carried out last year in neighbouring Kolhua and before that, there were two excavations in the 1960s that unearthed Buddha relics and pre-Kushan period structures.

The 2010-11 excavation at Kolhua showed a habitation dating back to 1,200 BC (established with carbon dating), which encouraged the ongoing excavation at Raja Vishal ka Garh to find further consonance with details in ancient literature and material evidences.

At 9 a.m., villagers, their faces wrapped in towels, go about their work as the sun beats down relentlessly. Some of them head off to join the excavations. "Itihas nikal raha hai," says an elderly villager, pointing to the mound.

A group of 25 history and archaeology students from Nalanda Mahavihar University works at the excavation site, cleaning the trench walls meticulously with a brush. Richa Kumari, a post-graduate student in ancient Indian history, culture and archaeology from Nalanda Mahavihar University, says, "We have learnt a lot about ancient history with material details and scientific findings. It is amazing to see high-quality shiny pottery being used in the pre-Mauryan period. Here, you can also see one of the first parliaments of ancient India."

Meanwhile, a wooden cot is the open-air laboratory of India's leading palaeo-botanist Mukund D Kajale. Kajale, a former professor at the Deccan College and Postgraduate Institute, drops soil collected from the excavation site into a tub of water and stirs it well. This "floatation method" lets light things like grains and chaff to float and heavier items like antiquities and small bones to settle down at the bottom. He sieves out the floating material and points towards grains of paddy. "Rice was the common food item from Mauryan to Kushan to Gupta periods, wheat and barley in Shunga period. Among fruits, we have so far found traces of plum beads here," says Kajale, adding that birds, fish and animals and also some lentils made up the diet of the people.

THE TEAM

ASI Patna Circle director Dr SK Manjul, camp in-charge Bhagirathi Gartiya, Shankar Sharma and Sachin Kumar Tiwari, photographers Rajnish Raj and Rajiv Kumar, draftsmen Baleshwar Prasad and Joy Bandhopadhyay. Assistant superintending archaeologist and in-charge of Vaishali Museum Dr NK Singh is the guide for the excavation and leading palaeo-botanist Dr Mukund D Kajale too is part of the team

PREVIOUS ASI EXCAVATIONS

2011-12: Raja Vishal ka Garh, western gate of fort exposed

2011-12: Kolhua, Vaishali, 1200 BC settlement found

1960s: Near Raja Vishal ka Garh,

Buddha relic found

Ashok Pushkarni, pre-Kushan

structures found

Remnants of a republic - Indian Express

Iamanidiot

Lurker the gana-sanghas always had a Republican set up.Whether they were a democratic setup are not is pure speculation.The vaishali excavation is the vrijji assembly building

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Lurker the gana-sanghas always had a Republican set up.Whether they were a democratic setup are not is pure speculation.The vaishali excavation is the vrijji assembly building
Yeah, speculation is based on the presence of "secular" structures.

According to Manjul, the discovery of 'secular structures' (structures that hold no idols of gods and goddesses) point towards a democratic set-up. Though it would be too early to claim that this was one of the power centres of the Lichchhavi clan, signs of a fortified city with settlements around it point to a well-laid out plan that housed both the ruling class and its subjects.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Doubt it we don't have any primary resources which speak about the inner working of gana sanghas
Most Greek city-states including Athens were slave societies, i.e. slaves formed a large part (majority in same cases) of population and had no rights. Such a society by definition cannot be democratic, at best they were oligarchic republics (which is probably what the gana-sanghas can best be described as also).

Iamanidiot

The gana-sanghas were extremely evil anti-hindu entities for the then Brahmins.The Brahmanas spew pure venom on the gana ranghar

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The gana-sanghas were extremely evil anti-hindu entities for the then Brahmins.The Brahmanas spew pure venom on the gana ranghar
It was a reflection of the rivalry between brahmins and kshatriyas.

Iamanidiot

Buddha was born in the sakya clan in the vrijji confederacy. The gana-sanghas were situated near the Himalayan foothills and were patrons ofheterodoxy

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
325BC later Mauryan era? Didnt Greece have democracy even before Alexander, it is worth noting that Alexander destroyed all the Democracies in Greece and established Monarchy.

However i have some doubt that Indus may have been Gana Sangha, there is no evidence of any glorious emperor.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Idiot where is your long prose on gana-sanghas? We would like to hear it.

Iamanidiot

Idiot where is your long prose on gana-sanghas? We would like to hear it.
Will post it today and also in the Casteism thread .I lack time beacuse of some heavy work.On a side note I want you to post The HYmn of creation from Page 241 of A.L Basham The Wonder that was India

Iamanidiot

From today I will post some long prose analysis about History in this thread.The History before the Gana-Sanghas and also after the Gana-Sanghas.The History as a Historian sees it our flaws and warts and all.My sources for this will be

In Ancient India A.L Basham and Romila Thapar magnum opus works.

For Ancient South Indian History-K.A Nilakanta Sastry

For Medevial India-S.A Rizhvi,Satish Chandra,J.L Mehta

For Modern India:Sumit Sarkar and Bipin Chandra

I think this will be enough I may not be able to update this thread regulary but whenever I post I will post long Prose though a tad irregularly because of my Job.

Lurker please see top it that posters can ask questions but no pseudo-intellectual and Rightist venom in this thread and no interference from Pseudo-Intellectuals.

Before that I will post about History ,Hisitiography and the disciplines that aid history

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
From today I will post some long prose analysis about History in this thread.The History before the Gana-Sanghas and also after the Gana-Sanghas.The History as a Historian sees it our flaws and warts and all.My sources for this will be
In Ancient India A.L Basham and Romila Thapar magnum opus works.

For Ancient South Indian History-K.A Nilakanta Sastry

For Medevial India-S.A Rizhvi,Satish Chandra,J.L Mehta

For Modern India:Sumit Sarkar and Bipin Chandra

I think this will be enough I may not be able to update this thread regulary but whenever I post I will post long Prose though a tad irregularly because of my Job.

Lurker please see top it that posters can ask questions but no pseudo-intellectual and Rightist venom in this thread and no interference from Pseudo-Intellectuals.

Before that I will post about History ,Hisitiography and the disciplines that aid history
I think you should open a new thread, since it'll include stuff not relevant to Vaishali. If it's just about Gana Sanghas, then I'll rename this thread.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Raja Vishal ka Garh, spread over 81 acres and which has a mound near Vaishali village that is believed to be the remains of an ancient parliament house, has thrown up some more remarkable secrets recently: a 50-metre-long and 21-metre-high mud rampart built in the late phase of the Mauryan period (321-185 BC) and Shunga period (185-73 BC) and a brick fortification that runs above the rampart.
Similar structures in size, built by Native American societies, have been unearthed in North America.

Longhouses of the indigenous peoples of North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles