Use Hindi in official work, says President Mukherjee

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Sep 16, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Use Hindi in official work, says President Mukherjee

New Delhi, Sep 14 (ANI): Asserting that if we want the Indian democracy to be strong and progressive, President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday said 'we should respect Hindi and regional languages in the working of central and state governments respectively'.

After conferring 55 awards in various categories for excellence in different fields pertaining to Hindi on the occasion of 'Hindi Diwas' here, Mukherjee said: "Language has an important role in democracy because it is a mode of communication between the government and people. This is why in our constitution, Hindi has been given the status of national language for work at the Centre while regional languages were recognised for work in states."

He further said that the development programmes of the government could only be implemented effectively through the use of Hindi and other regional languages.

Mukherjee further said that Hindi is also contributing significantly in business arena as foreign companies have adopted Hindi and other regional languages for augmenting their business in the country.

Asserting that Hindi is being taught in 150 Universities across the world, Mukherjee said: "Hindi has also been recognised as one of the seven heritage languages of UNESCO."

Hindi Diwas is being observed across the country today to commemorate the historic occasion, as Hindi was adopted as the official language of constituent assembly on September 14, 1949.

It was on September 14, 1949 when the Constitution-makers of the country decided to accord the status of Official Language of the Union to Hindi. To commemorate the historic occasion, Hindi Diwas is observed every year this day. (ANI)

Use Hindi in official work, says President Mukherjee - Yahoo! News India

panduranghari likes this.
  3. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Wow, comes from a person who can not speak Hindi properly and prefer to speak english and bengali:confused::confused::confused::cool2:

pmaitra likes this.
  4. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

wish if they would have given the status of national language to sanskrit.
    it would have been better accepted.
    and even our south indians would have no problem because the culture and ancient texts of india are linked with sanskrit.
    ofcourse people could have used their regional language for regional works.but learning sanskrit would be compulsory

5. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

It's a shame that the government buried the true heritage language of India-Sanskrit, and instead gave national language status to a fledgling language created after Independence. I was under the impression that "Hindi" of the devanagri form must have been a major language for at least 500 years, evolving during the Mughal rule as the language of the commoners. Seems I was completely wrong. Modern "Shuddha Hindi" is a creation of the Government of India, circa 1958. Before this, there was no "Shuddha Hindi" at all!

Hindi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:rolleyes:

panduranghari, chase and pmaitra like this.
  6. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Actually, Sanskrit and Hindi were tied for the position of National Language (IIRC the terminology used was national not official).

Hindi won by a tiebreaker vote by Rajendra Prasad who was president at that time.

Edit: I now understand the logic behind such a move

panduranghari and pmaitra like this.
  7. Known_Unknown

First time I've heard about that (the tiebreaker). Quite interesting that a Hindiwalla's vote should be the tie-breaker. :rolleyes:

So what is the logic behind the move? Is it to create a language that truly represents the Republic of India, and hence unites all Indians? Could that be one explanation?:confused:

8. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

:p

It was Hindustani in Nastaliq script (aka Urdu) which was popular in the Subcontinent at that time. Making Sanskrit national language would have been purely symbolic. Sanskrit would have been decimated by English (or worse Urdu).

Creation of Hindi was a masterstroke !

Few years later, Urdu and it's parent Farsi were more or less destroyed in Independent India. Hindi will slowly be Sanskritized...it's inevitable

/CT

9. Known_Unknown

^^I doubt Hindi will be Sanskritized. The primary source for learning Hindi for most Indians is not the school textbooks, but Bollywood. Until you Sanskritize that, there is no hope.

Triumph of Hinglish: How shuddh Hindi lost its groove | Firstpost

EDIT: Also, it seems the whole purpose was indeed to institute a national language which would be so Sanskritized that it would be acceptable all across the country, yet it would be practical enough to designate as the national language. After all, hardly anyone then (and now) understands pure Sanskrit.

This does seem like a more noble idea than the usual "hegemony of the Hindiwallahs" that most non-Hindi native speakers are accustomed to.

Although funnily, instead of creating a completely new Sanskritized language, they could have just made Marathi the national language as it already had everything they were looking for. :p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  10. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

I read that the tie was between Hindi and Hindustani not sanskrit. Sanskrit was never seriously considered but by a few fanats

11. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

I can explain. It gives huge advantage to Hindi speakers.

Speaking at a Public Meeting on April 29, 1963 at Chennai Marina (Madras Marina) organized to oppose Hindi becoming the official language of India from January 26, 1965, Annadurai said,

"We will go to every part of Tamil Nadu and tell the people that Hindi is coming and that it is like a thunder strike on the heads of Tamil and Dravidian people.... If Hindi were to become the official language of India, Hindi-speaking people will govern us. We will be treated like third rate citizens".

Read more about Annadurai's opposition to Hindi at
    http://www.tamiltribune.com/00/0101.html

12. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

LB, to be honest I am not sure about this subject, I mean the game of national and official.
    But I found this.......I am not sure, yet. What is true.

Official Language Policy Of The Union

Hindi in Devanagari script is the official language of the Union .The form of numeralsto be used for official purposes of the Union is the international form of Indian numerals {Article 343 (1) of the Constitution (External Website that opens in a new window)}.In addition to Hindi language English languagemay also be used for official purposes.(Section 3 of the Official Languages Act (External Website that opens in a new window))

Business in Parliament may be transacted in English or in Hindi.However, the Hon’ble Chairman of the Rajya Sabha or the Hon’ble Speaker of the Lok Sabha may permit any Member to address the House in his / her mother tongue under special circumstances (Article 120 of the Constitution (External Website that opens in a new window)).

The purposes for which Hindi alone is to be used, the purposes for which both Hindi andEnglish are to be used and the purposes for which English language is to be used, have been specified in the Official Languages Act (External Website that opens in a new window), 1963, the Official Language Rules (External Website that opens in a new window), 1976 and the directions issued under them from time to time by the Department of Official Language, Ministry of Home Affairs.

It has been the policy of the Government of India that progressive use of Hindi inthe officialwork may be ensured through persuasion, incentive and goodwill.

Official Language Policy Of The Union |

13. Zebra

14. Zebra

My friend,

Why?

Since when the spoken language become the criteria to define the rate of their citizenship in India.

btw, there is no such rate like first, second or third rate citizens in India.

At least I never heard of it before.

Guide me please, if I am wrong.

15. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I am also Dravidian, if not full, at least predominantly. No, Hindi does not strike my head like a thunder.

Annadurai surely does not speak for all Dravidians.

16. Ankit Purohit

Ankit Purohit Senior Member Senior Member

Hindi hai hum Watan hai hindustan hamara

mikhail likes this.
  17. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

And Gandhi was totally agreed to dissolve hindi and make a language hindustani ,a mixture of hindi and urdu but with lot more urdu influence ,so that the hindus and muslims both don't have problems . :confused:

Gandhi really had some problems with 'thinking' .He was even ready to divide india from between to provide a corridor to east pakistan!

The culture of india is rooted in Sanskrit.And unless and until we don't recognize Sanskrit's true power then we will be forgetting sources of great wisdom which will be beneficial to india and the world .

These minor languages like urdu,burdu,nurdu are all fads,they don't have any consistent grammar the way sanskrit or even hindi has.
    The brainless idiots want a resurgence of urdu.

18. Known_Unknown

^^Watan hai Bharat hamara damnit. Why refer to our country using the word the Persians coined?

panduranghari and KS like this.
  19. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Then also don't refer the language as "Hindi" and religion as "Hinduism" :troll:

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  20. Known_Unknown

^^"Hindi" is the name given by GoI, nothing we can do about it. But we can refer to Hinduism as "Sanatana Dharma" instead. ;)

21. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

There is nothing wrong in using such names. Lets admit we didn't name what we practiced, which others called "Hinduism" and to this day, we don't have a word for religion. And now there is no harm in adopting foreign names when foreign values and concepts have been deeply ingrained.