USA's biggest import from India

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
GoI needs to make IIT students sign a contract so they don't run off to America. They also need to offer start-up grants for IIT grads and make companies in India.

trackwhack

In my eyes every one of them is a EDITED. The ones that run away, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
No need to "blame USA". In the last century India had a pathetic economy and almost no opportunities to speak of. Who would like to work as a clerk in some nationalized bank after studying electrical engineering? India did not even have decent consumer goods. Life was substandard in India in the licence raj days, and there is no denying that fact.

Today however, we certainly need to have a mechanism by which state-subsidized students are not able to run away to the USA. This should apply not only for the IITs, but for all state subsidized seats across the nation, which is a hell of a lot!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
In my eyes every one of them is a bastard. The ones that run away, that is.
You can't call them bastards for wanting to exercise the full faculty of their brain. The US offers better opportunities and better returns for their investments (of time and energy) and so they will go. If you want to do some name-calling, start with the hypocritical political parties of India, who want to fill their pockets by robbing the poor and the nation.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Its actually the system which is at fault, those who do stay behind are not valued, their research not funded and when inspite of all adversity they do manage to produce something marketable ..the red tape kills it.

Last edited:

pmaitra

GoI needs to make IIT students sign a contract so they don't run off to America. They also need to offer start-up grants for IIT grads and make companies in India.
People have already deliberated on this contract idea. People have also talked about preventing scholars from going out of India. That was the policy of the USSR. That is not a good idea.

Moreover, many IITians actually end up working in India. So not everyone is an escapist. However, the productivity of those IITians who stayed back in India is less than that of those who have gone to the USA.

My point is that even if the IITians stay back in India, what is the guarantee that India will get the same benefits that USA is getting from those who have migrated?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
People have already deliberated on this contract idea. People have also talked about preventing scholars from going out of India. That was the policy of the USSR. That is not a good idea.

Moreover, many IITians actually end up working in India. So not everyone is an escapist. However, the productivity of those IITians who stayed back in India is less than that of those who have gone to the USA.

My point is that even if the IITians stay back in India, what is the guarantee that India will get the same benefits that USA is getting from those who have migrated?

Market forces at work... You cannot fake/control it. India has to become more attractive than the US to prevent IT professionals from migrating...

trackwhack

You can't call them bastards for wanting to exercise the full faculty of their brain. The US offers better opportunities and better returns for their investments (of time and energy) and so they will go. If you want to do some name-calling, start with the hypocritical political parties of India, who want to fill their pockets by robbing the poor and the nation.
If they paid for their education themselves, I would not complain. However, the GOI spends 15 lacs per student per year in an IIT. A recent estimate put IIT and IIM bills at 8% of the total education budget of the country. Thats 8% spent on less than 10,000 students. Do the math and tell me its fair when 60% of them leave the country within 60 days of passing out.

So everyone of those scums who go chasing a six figure dollar salary is a bastard to me.

KS

Bye bye DFI
There is nothing wrong in it IMO. Everyone will go to a place where he feels his talent is best utilized, where he feels he will get the resources he needs to develop his skill and more importantly where the pay is good.

The only place where I feel a contract system must be in place is when the state subsidizes your education. In the case of doctors, for example, where the Govt subsidizes most of their education they must be made to work in India for atleast years before they can go to abroad. That applies to other streams too where the subsidies are there.

There is no point in calling people names who did not take a penny from the Govt and who go out to study/work on their own.

In my eyes every one of them is a bastard. The ones that run away, that is.
Puhleeez. Don't tell me you will not go to US the first chance you get. All these hollow cries are only till you get the chance. Get the chance you will be the first one catching the flight.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
There is no point in calling people names who did not take a penny from the Govt and who go out to study/work on their own.
The discussion is about people who make use of subsidized education... with today's domestic opportunities in India, there should certainly be a bond/contract of some sort. During the NehruGandhi rate of growth, when India had no opportunities, such contracts would not have been reasonable but today - we certainly need something like that.

trackwhack

There is nothing wrong in it IMO. Everyone will go to a place where he feels his talent is best utilized, where he feels he will get the resources he needs to develop his skill and more importantly where the pay is good.

The only place where I feel a contract system must be in place is when the state subsidizes your education. In the case of doctors, for example, where the Govt subsidizes most of their education they must be made to work in India for atleast years before they can go to abroad. That applies to other streams too where the subsidies are there.

Puhleeez. Don't tell me you will not go to US the first chance you get. All these hollow cries are only till you get the chance. Get the chance you will be the first one catching the flight.
Karthic, STFU. I am in the US right now. Working for an Indian firm that gets paid a shit load of money for my services. I will never work for a firm that does not have a majority stake listed publicly on the Indian market. Dont sit in judgement without knowing the full story.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
i don't blame them for running, I blame GoI for letting them get away.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
And btw sorry to interject here - but this thinking that everyone will "run to the US the first chance they get" is another NehruGandhi era hangover. I am surprised that you think that way, in 2012.

Personally, I have umpteen chances to go to the US or any other country. I made a conscious choice not to. Because I am certain that I am better off in India that in the US or any Western nation. I am doing better, leading a more comfortable life here than my NRI counterparts, and it will only get better.

Before discussing about imposing any contract/bond, first this unnecessary "phoren" obsession needs to go.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If they paid for their education themselves, I would not complain. However, the GOI spends 15 lacs per student per year in an IIT. A recent estimate put IIT and IIM bills at 8% of the total education budget of the country. Thats 8% spent on less than 10,000 students. Do the math and tell me its fair when 60% of them leave the country within 60 days of passing out.

So everyone of those scums who go chasing a six figure dollar salary is a bastard to me.
What i am sayin is, their potential will not be fully utilized in India. Besides the salary they receive in India would not compare to that which they receive in the US. Add to that the corruption and red tape bullsh!t. I think its only natural that the seek better opportunities abroad. I know its not fair that many of them leave the nation, but the GoI should use its money and resources in a better way to retain them and reverse this brain drain.The GoI should do something about it.
PS: They may have left the nation, but the nation has not left their hearts.

trackwhack

And btw sorry to interject here - but this thinking that everyone will "run to the US the first chance they get" is another NehruGandhi era hangover. I am surprised that you think that way, in 2012.

Personally, I have umpteen chances to go to the US or any other country. I made a conscious choice not to. Because I am certain that I am better off in India that in the US or any Western nation. I am doing better, leading a more comfortable life here than my NRI counterparts, and it will only get better.

Before discussing about imposing any contract/bond, first this unnecessary "phoren" obsession needs to go.
Sir, if you get a chance to work outside as a consultant for your firm, do it. As long as the firm is listed on the Indian market, there is a substantial amount that goes as taxes and another chunk that comes in as foreign exchange. You are contributing to our economy by doing so. That apart the slot you leave vacant gets occupied by another Indian back home :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles