USA Thinktank: We don't need the Indians as much as they think we do

panduranghari

India as a nation has internationalized in a very unique way when you think about it,
they did it more or less on their own as a nation without even utilizing 5% of the
NRI resources they have IMO. With 40 million NRI's around the globe there is a
vast pool if Indian govt opens their eyes and taps.
LF you are a born bred American, aren't you? Excuse me if I am wrong. However, IMHO people of Indian origin tend to have affinity towards India irrespective of where they are. I do not know if this percolates into the 3rd or the 4th generation immigrants, but its very perceptible among the 1st and 2nd generation immigrants.

What can Indian government do to assist Indians? They started PIO and OCI for this reason and they have this pravasi Bharatiya divas annually somewhere in Delhi.

The way I see it is such- with increasing prosperity in India and the very apparent and the very real downturn in the west, these Indians will very naturally gravitate towards India. Adaptability, culture etc. However Indians are resilient lot and if China offers them a better opportunity, they wont think twice of going there in preference to India.

The only thing Indian government should do - ENCOURAGE EXCELLENCE.

That alone will attract the best and the brightest. Look at Britain and US, they attracted the best and brightest. That took them way ahead of the rest. I do however wonder will the government ever think beyond vote bank politics and try to think globally.

panduranghari

Do explain how India has emerged as a major roadblock to Chinas rise. When the chinese economy is still growing faster than India and the volumes of trade are still increasing between those two countries. Not to mention the ever growing trade deficit between those two countries.
Still, I will take your words for it.

P.S I laughed at the part about India helping Vietnam building nukes. :lol:
That someone actually believes that, tells me about their credibility.
Why does this guy get away with very obvious trollish comments? Its getting a tad boring and really annoying.

pmaitra

Do explain how India has emerged as a major roadblock to Chinas rise. When the chinese economy is still growing faster than India and the volumes of trade are still increasing between those two countries. Not to mention the ever growing trade deficit between those two countries.

Why does this guy get away with very obvious trollish comments? Its getting a tad boring and really annoying.
Frankly mate, if anyone says India is helping Vietnam make nukes, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. In this case, I don't see anything trollish in Ice-Berg's comment. (not sure which comment he is refering to)

panduranghari

(1) Review the civil nuclear liability and make it compliant under the IAEA regime which caps supplier nuclear liability to some extent. A compromise of sorts with the opposition will be required but necessary to give business to US companies. Ofcourse, this could be put in the too hard basket given the history of the Bhopal gas disaster.

Why should the US companies be given business? There are many who would want the business? Japan, France has a solid history of innovation and investment in Nuclear tech.

(2) All other countries that the US collaborates with have signed these agreements so why dont' we? Atleast the CISMOA should not be big problem IMO. The biggest deal in the Obama era - the Hercules transporters came with less precise avionics because we didn't agree to sign this agreement. Same thing with the P8s. I never understood why the hesitancy in signing the CISMOA when so many other countries already do so. The irony that countries like UAE and Kuwait get better avionics than India because of this.
Does USA think we are China to blindly reverse engineer technology? Why CISMOA? Is that because India can be sued in a American court of law for any possible breach? I am sure there lawyers know how terrible CISMOA can be? UAE, Kuwait have nothing going for them other than oil. We are better than that. US can sell stuff to us with no strings attached.

(3) Similarly, India should make an attempt to align more with the US when we don't have any major interests clashing. The Libya case if an example where India should have voted WITH the US. On other items like emissions treaty or WTO rules on agriculture, India has legitimate interest and will need to defend them. But in other places, India should make an effort to co-ordinate positions with the US.
I agree.

(4) FDI in multi-brand retail is a no brainer. Its the domestic politics that are messing this up and hopefully, we can go ahead with this sooner rather than later. But overall, I don't see economic relations as a major block as these have been improving and is probably the only positive thing in recent times.
FDI cancellation was a good move. There are many things to learn from multi-brand retailer, but I doubt it would make much difference to the overall picture. What we really need are good roads to improve logistics. Multibrand retailers wont achieve this. Once the infrastructure improves, perhaps multi brand retail will be indigenous in its origin.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
bro - the state department of the USA has on a number of occasions clearly and unequivocally held india up as a non-proliferator of high-tech defence weaponry , so not necessary to give a second glance at these guys from you-know - where who spout such silly one-liners !

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
having joined the discussion after 6 pages , i'd have to say i didnt get to read all of it thoroughly - so i wonder if anyone has asked the recirpocal question namely :

does the USA also realise that even with the end of the cold-war bloc-groupings , even with the threat of prc-china's claims on indian territory, even so , india doesnt really need to depend on the USA quite as much as they may think ?

having said that i hope both the resident indian family and the people and govt of the usa will display MATURITY, realise that the relationship is important and take great care to make sure it stays on track.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

Sir ( or Madam as the case may be ) - i quite agree wit the first para of your post - indeed india is NOT interested in being a road block to ANYONE - it is not in our nature to do so and a man called Gandhi made it quite clear right from the start ....as for the trade balance - we'll see about that inside of a couple of decades from today .....the other part of your post i have relied to elsewhere ....

as you are a guest on an indian forum , i thank you for your partiicpation

ejazr

Ambassador
Why should the US companies be given business? There are many who would want the business? Japan, France has a solid history of innovation and investment in Nuclear tech.
Well lets look at this way, would it have been possible for France or Japan to tweak the rules of the International nuclear club and give us the nuclear deal? One of the main reasons why we got a civil nuke deal was the expectation that US companies would be getting business as well.

The other side is that are our nuclear liability laws in compliance with IAEA standards or similar to the laws that other countries like Japan, S. Korea, US or France have in their own countries?

Besides, the main idea is to build a partnership and we won't be sacrificing anything or getting inferior quality equipment if we get nuke reactors from US companies

Does USA think we are China to blindly reverse engineer technology? Why CISMOA? Is that because India can be sued in a American court of law for any possible breach? I am sure there lawyers know how terrible CISMOA can be? UAE, Kuwait have nothing going for them other than oil. We are better than that. US can sell stuff to us with no strings attached.
The CISMOA is a MoU to have inter-operable comms equipment. And for the US its a pre-req before advanced tech can be transferred to any country. And this applies to all of US partners including countries like Japan, Turkey and S. Korea - forget UAE or Kuwait.

Any country or even company for that matter will want copyright laws and the likes enforced so that their product is used for the things that they want. Until India develops its own indigenous capacities, there is nothing wrong IMO to have CISMOA signed.

LSA for example, might be more controversial because it means US troops and navy can refuel and base on Indian soil. But CISMOA is something that I see being not signed only because of this unnecessary mistrust with the US.

FDI cancellation was a good move. There are many things to learn from multi-brand retailer, but I doubt it would make much difference to the overall picture. What we really need are good roads to improve logistics. Multibrand retailers wont achieve this. Once the infrastructure improves, perhaps multi brand retail will be indigenous in its origin.
Well we had some good sicussion on the FDI in retail in this thread
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/economy-infrastructure/27724-fdi-multi-brand-retail-sector.html

Again, we are only talking about 51% and that too in limited cities. Countries like Indonesia, Brazil, China e.t.c. all have FDI in retail. Indonesia even after 9 years of 100% FDI in retail still has 90% retail business in the hands of the local small traders rather than multinationals.

IMHO, while all the other points are items where India has to sacrifice some of its interests like caping liability on nuke suppliers, signing CISMOA or working with the US in multilateral organisations; FDI in retail is the one item that is a genuine win win for both countries.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles