US unlikely to block Chinese N-exports to Pakistan

Zaki

Country flag
US unlikely to block Chinese N-exports to Pakistan

By Anwar Iqbal
Thursday, 29 Apr, 2010

A nuclear deal the US signed with India was one of the main reasons that prevented Washington from openly criticising the Chinese export to Islamabad, the report observed. — Photo by APP

WASHINGTON: US-India nuclear deal prevents the Obama administration from blocking a possible export of two Chinese nuclear power reactors to Pakistan, says a US think-tank.

"China is poised to export two power reactors to Pakistan," said a report released by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington.

"The pending Sino-Pakistan deal reflects the growing confidence and assertiveness of China's nuclear energy programme."

A nuclear deal the US signed with India was one of the main reasons that prevented Washington from openly criticising the Chinese export to Islamabad, the report observed.

The US administration, however, might object to it inside the Nuclear Suppliers Group, which oversees such transactions. Such objections, however, "cannot prevent China from exporting the reactors", the report added.

"President Barack Obama will not openly criticise the Chinese export because Washington, in the context of a bilateral security dialogue with Islamabad, may be sensitive to Pakistan's desire for civilian nuclear cooperation in the wake of the sweeping US-India nuclear deal," said the report while explaining the first reason for a muted US reaction.

It recalled that the US-India deal entered into force in 2008 after considerable arm-twisting of NSG states by the United States, France and Russia.

"The breach created by the US-India deal, which would be opened wider by Chinese export of reactors to Pakistan, will not be easily closed because, as stated by paragraph 16 of the (NSG) guidelines, unanimous consent is required for any changes in the guidelines," the report warned.

"The United States may also tolerate China's new nuclear deal with Pakistan because Obama wants China's support for United Nations Security Council sanctions against Iran this spring," the report noted.

Author Mark Hibbs said in the report that Beijing might justify the deal with Islamabad on the grounds of nuclear stability in South Asia and the need for parity between New Delhi and Islamabad.

"China is likely to soon inform the NSG of its planned transaction."

Because of China's growing influence in Pakistan, some NSG countries suggested that the United States would also enlist China to persuade Pakistan to drop its opposition to negotiation of a Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty. Pakistan has said it could not accept the treaty because the US-India deal had tilted the nuclear balance in South Asia in India's favour.

Country flag
This can be a point India can use as leverage when asked to go along with USA in sanctions against Iran, and limit USA's involvement in Indian nuclear trade, since it is obvious the deal was nothing special. These reactors I am assuming are for civilian energy use? If yes India has said it has no issues about that.

Last edited:

Zaki

Country flag
This can be a point India can use as leverage when asked to go along with USA in sanctions against Iran, and limit USA's involvement in Indian nuclear trade, since it is obvious the deal was nothing special. These reactors I am assuming are for civilian energy use? If yes India has said it has no issues about that.
These reactors are for civilian use......... Pakistan is willing to co-operate with IAEA and any other organisation to get these reactors in order to fullfil our electricity demands

gogbot

These reactors are for civilian use......... Pakistan is willing to co-operate with IAEA and any other organisation to get these reactors in order to fullfil our electricity demands
really ? , then hand over A.Q Khan,

one of the biggest nuclear smugglers in the world.

It would very wrong to deny Pakistan nuclear technology over one incident, it would also be wrong for it go without consequences.

A.Q Khan needs to be questioned and all his government supervisors arrested

Zaki

Country flag
This word makes no sense to me........... its like i go to buy bananas ask for its price and then say SELL me apples

This thread is about Pakistan's nuclear plants for civil use and not AQ Khan

By the way i believe AQ Khan story was a government's bluff..... he had no contacts with Libya and Iran whatsoever............... The government did collaboratewith these countries and the Libya was about to open up its Nuclear reactors to IAEA and the government fearing they may reveal link to Pakistan put all that blame to AQ Khan and then forgiven him the next day calling him the National hero and after the immense pressure of US started these Cases against him.

I was never convinced about this Idea that AQ Khan could sell these secrets to a foreign country by himself

Lets get back to topic please - i wonder why everybody has a habit of going off-topic in every second post ;(

DaRk WaVe

one of the biggest nuclear smugglers in the world.

It would very wrong to deny Pakistan nuclear technology over one incident, it would also be wrong for it go without consequences.

A.Q Khan needs to be questioned and all his government supervisors arrested

well, Gogobot, Just tell me popping up of fuss about PAk-US deal, then at the same time AQ Khan made news in Western Newspapers, then Hillary wants to see Pakistan as a part of the solution in 'non proliferation issue', US not pushing Pak to sign NPT,Pakistan offering Nuclear Fuel Services & now this, is it all a coincidence?

mehrotraprince

Country flag
well, Gogobot, Just tell me popping up of fuss about PAk-US deal, then at the same time AQ Khan made news in Western Newspapers, then Hillary wants to see Pakistan as a part of the solution in 'non proliferation issue', US not pushing Pak to sign NPT,Pakistan offering Nuclear Fuel Services & now this, is it all a coincidence?
Pakistan offering Nuclear Fuel Services ??? to whom
Pakistan offering nuclear fuel services to Taliban and Al Qaida.

Hillary wants to see Pakistan as a part of the solution in 'non proliferation issue'
Pakistan is the root cause of terrorism and non-proliferation. Hope USofA soon realize this fact, it will be better for them and for whole world as well.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles