US to supply IED detectors to India

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The May 25 Maoist attack using a 25-kg explosive device in Darba has added impetus to the UPA government's plan to acquire state-of-the-art ground penetration radars from the US to detect buried improvised explosive devices (IEDs ) in low-intensity conflict zones.

The acquisition of ultra wide band microwave radars, which can detect a seven-feet underground IED, was discussed during the Indo-US homeland security dialogue last week, home ministry sources said. "Washington is more than willing to sell the high-tech radars to New Delhi for use by security forces," they added. Delegates to the meeting were led by home minister Sushilkumar Shinde and his American counterpart Janet Napolitano.

While Indian para-military forces still use hand-held metal detectors or mine sweepers to open roads for traffic in insurgency-affected zones, the US radar -- mounted on an IED-proof vehicle (like Husky or Stryker) -- scans the road ahead, jams the device's frequency and gives a 3D picture of the buried ordnance.

The US GPR, developed after a billion-dollar research, has successfully tackled IEDs in Afghanistan and Iraq. "The GPR will be extremely effective in areas afflicted by the left-wing extremists as Maoists typically bury huge IEDs under the roads and trigger them off through remote or wire detonation. The IED used in the May 25 attack was made of ammonium nitrate and hidden under the road," a senior ministry official said.

It is learnt that New Delhi will acquire these radars through the foreign direct military sales route after the radar's trials in Indian conditions. Two Virginia-based companies are market leaders in the segment and have supplied IED detection radars to the US Army.

The US is also willing to supply port scanners so that explosives and nuclear , biological or chemicals weapons do not make their way disguised as imports into India. This hi-tech equipment, which can scan a truck at one go, will be housed at major ports across the country.

US to supply IED detectors to India - Hindustan Times

ladder

Country flag
How many of them we can buy?
To whom or whose cavalcade will it give protection?
What if IED is buried in 8 feet in death?

I think we already have jammer technology developed by DRDO, how many are employed in naxal corridor?

These expensive technology provide only limited security. These cannot cover the mistake one does.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

datguy79

"successful" is a sort of loose term, given that IEDs still kill the vast majority of US troops in AFG.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
"successful" is a sort of loose term, given that IEDs still kill the vast majority of US troops in AFG.
true but identifying them is first step to counter them, with tech on your side you can in future reduce losses of human lives from IEDs.

The Last Stand

Country flag
But I've seen several DRDO newsletters where explosive detecting devices and radars which were PATENTED are shown. And they are all indigenous.

Why can't we use those and cut the crappy move of making "foreign relations better" by buying US stuff when we have comparable equipment. Developing mine protected, mine detecting vehicle will give experience to India on developing such platforms.

Shame on GoI for not encouraging local development.

TrueSpirit

true but identifying them is first step to counter them, with tech on your side you can in future reduce losses of human lives from IEDs.
I am somewhat skeptical about the efficacy & success rate of any IED detector/neutralizing technology. US forces continue to maimed by IED's, no matter what tech. they have deployed there in last 13 years. I would be interested to see (statistics, if available) what effect introduction of any such tech. has, in reducing their causalities.
AFAIK, after suicide bombers, the biggest toll on US-NATO forces & ANA is claimed by IED's that are precursor to Taliban ambushes.

datguy79

I am somewhat skeptical about the efficacy & success rate of any IED detector/neutralizing technology. US forces continue to maimed by IED's, no matter what tech. they have deployed there in last 13 years. I would be interested to see (statistics, if available) what effect introduction of any such tech. has, in reducing their causalities.
AFAIK, after suicide bombers, the biggest toll on US-NATO forces & ANA is claimed by IED's that are precursor to Taliban ambushes.
The only long-term defense against IEDs are paved roads. Also, India needs to ban and control the production of ammonium nitrate. IEDs are particularly lethal if the naxalites manage to put them in roads where civilians pass through.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Good news and bad news.

Good news:- we get life saving detectors.

Bad news:- can't we make a fvcking detector ourselves when we can make fighter jets? I mean this is far less technically challenging than making fighters and aircraft carriers.

We should have had made these ages ago when we have been fighting insurgencies for decades now

drkrn

How many of them we can buy?
To whom or whose cavalcade will it give protection?
What if IED is buried in 8 feet in death?

I think we already have jammer technology developed by DRDO, how many are employed in naxal corridor?

These expensive technology provide only limited security. These cannot cover the mistake one does.
these will be used to sweep roads on which important persons travel.so we expect them only in small numbers only

burying 1 more feet down the earth makes the bomb less powerful by much degree there by decreasing the causalities.but if they increase the payload may be because of its bigger signature they can be easily identified.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles