US: To accept 85,000 Syrian refugees in 2016 and 100,000 in 2017

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
US: To accept 85,000 Syrian refugees in 2016 and 100,000 in 2017

BERLIN — Scrambling to address a growing Syrian refugee crisis, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry announced Sunday that the United States would significantly increase the number of worldwide migrants it takes in over the next two years, though not by nearly the amount many activists and former officials have urged.

The U.S. will accept 85,000 refugees from around the world next year, up from 70,000, and that total would rise to 100,000 in 2017, Kerry said at news conference with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier after they discussed the mass migration of Syrians fleeing their civil war.

Many, though not all, of the additional refugees would be Syrian, American officials have said. Others would come from strife-torn areas of Africa. The White House had previously announced it intended to take in 10,000 additional Syrian refugees over the next year.

Asked why the U.S. couldn’t take more, Kerry cited post-Sept. 11 screening requirements and a lack of money made available by Congress.“We’re doing what we know we can manage immediately,” he said, adding that the U.S. cannot take shortcuts on security checks.

U.S. lawmakers immediately expressed concerns about the potential influx.

The Islamic State group and other terrorist organizations “have made it abundantly clear that they will use the refugee crisis to try to enter the United States. Now the Obama administration wants to bring in an additional 10,000 Syrians without a concrete and foolproof plan to ensure that terrorists won’t be able to enter the country,” said U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and U.S. Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va.

“The administration has essentially given the American people a ‘trust me.’ That isn’t good enough,” according to a statement from the lawmakers, who head the congressional judiciary committees.

Conditions in Syria have been growing increasingly dire as the civil war grinds on. As many as 9 million people have been displaced, including more than 4 million who have fled the country, according to the United Nations.
A letter made public last week and signed by several former Obama administration officials urged the U.S. government to accept 100,000 Syrian migrants, and to put in place special rules to speed the resettlement process. Germany says it will accept as many as a million Syrians this year.

“Current (American) efforts are not adequate,” according to the letter, signed by Michelle Flournoy, a former senior U.S. defense official who once was Obama’s choice for Pentagon chief, and Harold Koh, the former State Department legal adviser. “Humanitarian aid has fallen short in the face of unspeakable suffering.”

Syrian migrants to the U.S. would be referred by the U.N. refugee agency, screened by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and resettled around the country.

“This step is in keeping with America’s best tradition as a land of second chances and a beacon of hope,” Kerry said. Earlier, he and Steinmeier met with a group of refugees around a conference table on the wooded, lakeside resort-style campus of the foreign ministry’s education center outside Berlin.

The Syrians, who Kerry asked reporters not to name for security concerns, said the uptick in migration five years into the civil war was being driven by a collapse of hope that the situation ever will improve.“I personally came here in search of a future,” said a mother of three daughters who made it to Germany with her five-year-old but left two others behind in Syria with her parents. She hopes they all can come, too.

Congressional approval is not required for the Obama administration to expand resettlement slots, though Congress would have to appropriate money to pay for the additional effort, Kerry pointed out. Intelligence officials and Republican lawmakers have expressed concerns that Islamic State militants could seek to slip into Europe or the U.S. posing as migrants.

In 2011, two Kentucky residents who had been resettled as Iraqi refugees were accused of being al-Qaida members. They were convicted of terrorism charges after their fingerprints were linked to roadside bombs in Iraq. That led to new steps to screen refugees, a process that has been criticized as slow and bureaucratic.

“Some of the 65,000 that came from Iraq actually were trying to buy stinger missiles in my hometown in Kentucky,” said U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, a Republican presidential candidate, in a broadcast interview. “So we do have to be weary of some of the threat that comes from mass migration.”

Even if the U.S. took in 30,000 Syrians over the next two years — an unlikely outcome, given that only 1,500 have been admitted since the start of the war — that number would pale in comparison to the hundreds of thousands that Germany is expected to accept, or the 800,000 Vietnamese that the U.S. resettled in the years after the Vietnam war.

In Washington, Democratic presidential candidate and former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in a television interview that the U.S. “has to do more and I would like to see us move from what is a good start with 10,000 to 65,000 and begin immediately to put into place the mechanisms for vetting the people we would take in, looking to really emphasis some of those who are most vulnerable.”

Logistical and resource hurdles remain. For example, there is no suitable facility in Lebanon where Syrian refugees can be taken for interviews, so no interviews are occurring, according to the State Department.

Kerry said the migrant crisis must ultimately be solved by ending Syria’s civil war and replacing President Bashar Assad.

On that score, Kerry made clear Saturday the U.S. was willing to negotiate the terms of Assad’s exit with Russia, which is backing his government with a recent military buildup. The Russians brought in fighter jets and surface to air missiles that could threaten American plans, much to the dismay of American officials.

Critics have accused the Obama administration of passivity in the face of Russian aggression.

After holding out hope Saturday that Russia could help the U.S. fight the Islamic State, Kerry took a somewhat tougher line on Sunday, saying that he and the German foreign minister agreed that “support for the (Syrian) regime by Russia, or by any other country, risks exacerbating the conflict ... and only hinders future cooperation toward a successful transition.”
======================================================================================
@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @alphacentury @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @Bangalorean @Blackwater @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @hit&run @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @maomao @Mad Indian @OneGrimPilgrim @Peter @pmaitra @Razor @raja696 @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @Screambowl @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @Sylex21 @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @thethinker @VIP @Vishwarupa @VIP @Varahamihira @roma

@pmaitra : This is interesting news, ISIS is being clear that they would get in US in form of Refugee.Is US serious to take such large # of Muslims in US? They have taken just 1500 so far since war started as per this news.:hmm:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Reading the "Comments Section" in the above news with Mach 2 speed I found the below comment takes the cake... smallest and yet sharpest.

:notbad:

Enemies at the gate, within the gate and in the White House.

@Gabriel92 : Keep a watch on your big brother US.There would be change of President in 2016 after 8 years.

Last edited:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Well Donald Duck is definitely gonna be the next Pres now!!!! Democrats are gonna get kicked in the nuts in the next election. The bleeding hearts number far less in US and those who are there are already in Democrat camp. But US election is detemined by the swing votes of about 6-7% voters, who ain't gonna be charmed with this decision. Only a single attempted terrorist strike will seal the fate.

Btw, @rock127 , the comment you refered is not far from truth actually. Obama has got several Muslim Brotherhood sympathisers in White House, and Hillary has one as her assistant.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Seems like US would get a "Regime change" of their own in any case. :lol:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
In suppoet of my avove comment, I would like you to see this comment on the aeticle.

Mark Rcca
6:35 AM GMT+0530 [Edited]

Interesting how WP is left-leaning newspaper, and usually most of the commenters are left-leaning as well; however the comments on this specific article are almost entirely against the refugee immigration! Clearly many of those who are usually on the "left" side, are against this. I'm a centrist and often support "left" type issues, but I'm VERY against this

And, rest of the comments if one goes through, valudates my post completely.

Man, I am good. :cool3::biggrin2:

I_PLAY_BAD

USA will not be a fool to let ISIS inside its territory easily. If it did, billions of dollars it spent on wars in the past decade is a total waste. The government has to answer the citizens when another terror attack happens there.

And that is imminent because ISIS will surely slip in through this refugee crisis. Given the fact that guns are easily available in the US for citizens to buy as Christmas gifts it is going to be interesting about how the US is going to tackle these mullah bots.

I am not a USA supporter. But thinking of the consequences the innocent Americans have to face because of this decision makes me puzzled about this foolish decision.

These migrants will sure turn to be 'The sons of Harpy'.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
USA will not be a fool to let ISIS inside its territory easily. If it did, billions of dollars it spent on wars in the past decade is a total waste. The government has to answer the citizens when another terror attack happens there.

And that is imminent because ISIS will surely slip in through this refugee crisis. Given the fact that guns are easily available in the US for citizens to buy as Christmas gifts it is going to be interesting about how the US is going to tackle these mullah bots.

I am not a USA supporter. But thinking of the consequences the innocent Americans have to face because of this decision makes me puzzled about this foolish decision.

I am not fond of americans, too. But I am against such a foolish move 'coz American Dollar still got the heart-strings of global economy, and with Euro floundering, Dollar should not fall. But, such an action will see wide ranges of problems within America, including repeatative incidents of terrorism which will potentially damage Dollar and in extend damage global economy, which at least at the short run hurt India. More likely a civil strife will ensue and with a large no. of firearms everywhere, the civil strife wint be relatively peaceful like ours. Already almost every section of American society is unhappy with the govt in general as the ecnomy never recovered.

Unlike Europe, I will be anxious about USA in trouble.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
labour ki kami ho gayi in logo ko lagta hai...
hum se le lete :p

Sylex21

Very disappointing, though I wonder if the USA is buying time by claiming to take in more NEXT year. He also said from other parts of the world, so they may not really allow that many SYRIAN refugees.

Democrats are heavily favored. Donald Trump is very unlikely to make it to even being the republican nominee because the polls are usually only from swing voters (long explanation would be required on this). There is not going to be enough outrage in the USA over this to prevent Hillary from being the next president.

Alien

I have only one thing to say, may Allah bless Amreeka

blueblood

Good, let there be riots, murder and horror in the US. They have been geographically isolated for way too long and did whatever they pleased because of this isolation.

Let them for once face the consequences for their actions and their meddling in shit they don't understand.

cannonfodder

Country flag
This is indeed a very bad news....!! Looks like trojan horse in US as well. Why can't they simply get some more Mexicans if required and what the hell is fox news doing. :frusty:

I am not fond of americans, too. But I am against such a foolish move 'coz American Dollar still got the heart-strings of global economy, and with Euro floundering, Dollar should not fall. But, such an action will see wide ranges of problems within America, including repeatative incidents of terrorism which will potentially damage Dollar and in extend damage global economy, which at least at the short run hurt India. More likely a civil strife will ensue and with a large no. of firearms everywhere, the civil strife wint be relatively peaceful like ours. Already almost every section of American society is unhappy with the govt in general as the ecnomy never recovered.

Unlike Europe, I will be anxious about USA in trouble.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
By 2016 and 2017 there will be no Syrians left. So USA will probably accept none.
Actually, the report says US will accept 85000 refugees in next year, it dosn't say the refugees have to be syrians only.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well Donald Duck is definitely gonna be the next Pres now!!!! Democrats are gonna get kicked in the nuts in the next election. The bleeding hearts number far less in US and those who are there are already in Democrat camp. But US election is detemined by the swing votes of about 6-7% voters, who ain't gonna be charmed with this decision. Only a single attempted terrorist strike will seal the fate.

Btw, @rock127 , the comment you refered is not far from truth actually. Obama has got several Muslim Brotherhood sympathisers in White House, and Hillary has one as her assistant.

As much as I'd like that to be true and enjoy it, particularly about his recent comments on Paki nukes, Trump will not win even the primary let alone the presidency. next President will be a Democrat, you know why - minorities - mainly Hispanics.

Only reason Bush won was because of the Hispanics. Why do you think the Democrats are so pro-legalizing illegal immigrants? Its certainly not out of the goodness of their hearts.

blue marlin

does this look like a terrorist to you?
syriarefugees1.jpg

I_PLAY_BAD

does this look like a terrorist to you?
View attachment 6192
Does your reply has any sense?
Terrorists are ordinary people who turn into one at some point of time.
Not like terrorists will be born with a tag on their forehead.
Don't just reply for the sake of replying.
This is a public forum where you are expected to at least look sane.

blue marlin

Does your reply has any sense?
Terrorists are ordinary people who turn into one at some point of time.
Not like terrorists will be born with a tag on their forehead.
Don't just reply for the sake of replying.
This is a public forum where you are expected to at least look sane.
well you should think before you talk terrorists do what they do as they think there are doing it of religion.
your post hold s no value.

i can very easily turn and say this guy below is a terrorist, and then expect a huge wave of right wing muppets giving me crap.
hat-8.jpg

I_PLAY_BAD

well you should think before you talk terrorists do what they do as they think there are doing it of religion.
your post hold s no value.

i can very easily turn and say this guy below is a terrorist, and then expect a huge wave of right wing muppets giving me crap.
View attachment 6194
Well this shows that you are a delusional scum who doesn't have any relevance to man kind and just rogue around without a sane mind.
I am saying this because you insult our PM whom we elected.
We don't see him as terrorist.
We don't support everything he does either.
But when you insult the Indian PM then you will not get away with it.
Just beg us to take a photo of pakistan from one of our satellites to show you the photo of cesspool of terrorists.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles