US offers to co-develop advanced Javelin missile with India

drkrn

India has complete knowledge of Brahmos source codes and its range is not 290kms but 750kms. I will not give my source. take it or leave it.
750 kms??
just about the size of russian yakhont. cant believe its gonna make 750 kms.if its true then russian yakhont too is near 750 kms range

drkrn

a shot in the arm announcement for defence industries ,from no other than deputy secretary of defence,USA.
the timing of the decision is interesting for me as USA is losing its support both internally and externally over syria now realising its overwhelming military superiority cannot be maintained by arms alone is deliberately looking for a partner.

they already started pleasing us giving necessary weapons on time under budget scoring distinction ,but still,

as we are already in love(jv) with russian's,unless they offer some thing far better we do not change our priorities..they seemed to realize that part very well.

still i am suspicious about their offer.their companies during mmrca competition surveyed our defence industrial complexes calling them substandard and can't make any american jets.now the same companies are looking for a co-developer aka co-sponsor

do they want this programme like brahmos or f-35 is still unclear for me.

as the cold war is over i wish russia wont mind india joining such projects with its arch rival.truly a diplomatic challenge for our country

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Grab the offer with both hands. Why the eff is this offer being given a cold thought? Shed the anti American mindset and get going

t_co

Grab the offer with both hands. Why the eff is this offer being given a cold thought? Shed the anti American mindset and get going
Because the Russians are undoubtedly emailing over the sales brochure for the Kornet as we speak...

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Bigger issue IMHO is this...

M-777 buy uncertain | StratPost

The fate of the procurement of 145 units of M-777 light weight artillery howitzers from the US government for USD 694 million appears sealed, with the order failing to make the agenda of the meeting of the Defense Acquisitions Council (DAC) of the Indian Ministry of Defense on Friday.

Although the DAC did clear procurement of six Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF), in addition to 236 Russian T-90S main-battle tanks and machine guns, besides five other items on the agenda, for a total value of around INR 12,000 crore, it failed to take up the M-777 acquisition.

But the failure to take up this order for consideration by the DAC has wider implications as it is unlikely that any decision can be taken on this order by October 15, which is the deadline for the expiry of the initial offer of the US government, after which the value of the order will see a 37 percent escalation to USD 885 million, as reported by StratPost. In today's terms this amounts to a difference of about INR 1,200 crore.

Not only does this mean that India will have to pay extra for this cost escalation for the artillery guns, it also makes the question of procurement of the howitzers, itself, uncertain. This is because the existing assembly lines of the BAE Systems M-777 howitzer are scheduled to shut down in the September-October period in the absence of any firm orders and the cost of restarting those lines would also have to be borne by India, if the ministry decides to clear the purchase later.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
not mentioned any where in the article as jv.its only co-development(though i am not sure of what it means)
Joint Venture and Co Develop has Same Meaning I think ..So full of ToT

I'm not favor of DRDO in this Contract Lets Bring the TATA and L&T

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes and it may be purchased not for Infantry units though ..

Because the Russians are undoubtedly emailing over the sales brochure for the Kornet as we speak...

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What is their to develop in the missile? May be downgrade version.
If this come then say bye to nag manport.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I guess... increasing range from 2.5km to 4km and putting in multiple/hybrid seekers (Ir/Radar/Laser)

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
We should prefer a JV which begins from scratch or near-scratch conceptually and technologically. That way we'll learn a lot in inventing the whole wheel.

happy

If US is really serious about involving India in JV then it should include projects that deal with AC/Rail Guns/Fighters. Not missiles. But I think it would never come to that stage.:rolleyes:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If US is really serious about involving India in JV then it should include projects that deal with AC/Rail Guns/Fighters. Not missiles. But I think it would never come to that stage.:rolleyes:
do you really think they are interested in JV on the state of the art stuff. They have all the money and tech, why would they even want to have that tech in first place, unless we are making our own.

happy

do you really think they are interested in JV on the state of the art stuff. They have all the money and tech, why would they even want to have that tech in first place, unless we are making our own.
Exactly, then why do they want to involve us in something which they have already mass produced? Also, I doubt if they are really serious towards JV with India. I doubt that it must be some sort of eye wash or mind game.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Exactly, then why do they want to involve us in something which they have already mass produced? Also, I doubt if they are really serious towards JV with India. I doubt that it must be some sort of eye wash or mind game.
My read of the article, especially the last paragraphs, leads me to conclude the foremost consideration is cost, not advanced technology.

happy

My read of the article, especially the last paragraphs, leads me to conclude the foremost consideration is cost, not advanced technology.
Just for clarification sake......does not JV means that we have to invest 'money' towards development? If that is the case, it means we are going to invest into development not withstanding the cost of each unit we have to pay towards inducting into the armed forces. In such a scenario, aren't we paying more than the present market rate??:tsk:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Just for clarification sake......does not JV means that we have to invest 'money' towards development? If that is the case, it means we are going to invest into development not withstanding the cost of each unit we have to pay towards inducting into the armed forces. In such a scenario, aren't we paying more than the present market rate??:tsk:
The R & D component of the proposed deal was not really clear to me, but your question is apt, I believe.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles