US may operate surveillance drones from Andamans

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
We would be better off slaving for US than your buddies in PRC.As for patronizing of a foreign power you conveniently forgot the communist Congress's Treaty Of Friendship with the former Soviet Union!!Damn your ideology.Put Indian interest ahead of everything.Learn something from the Chinese.
I do not think we would be slaving off for americans as they want an alliance not some master slave relation.

pmaitra

Typical anti-American rant of a lefty!!Get off your high horse.Put India ahead of your outdated China friendly ideology.The way things are moving we need Uncle Sam and Japan to fend off PRC!!
We would be better off slaving for US than your buddies in PRC.As for patronizing of a foreign power you conveniently forgot the communist Congress's Treaty Of Friendship with the former Soviet Union!!Damn your ideology.Put Indian interest ahead of everything.Learn something from the Chinese.
Frankly mate, I think I am more pro-USSR than @trackwhack, and I also think communism has got nothing to do with this problem. The USSR was communist, and was beneficial to India, while PRC is also communist (albeit in name only), but they are a threat to India.

What should matter is India's territorial integrity. I would not mix ideology and territorial integrity. As much as I disagree with @trackwhack, I do respect his stance. Ideally, India should be totally independent, but in reality, we have no other option but to lean towards the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Frankly mate, I think I am more pro-USSR than @trackwhack, and I also think communism has got nothing to do with this problem. The USSR was communist, and was beneficial to India, while PRC is also communist (albeit in name only), but they are a threat to India.

What should matter is India's territorial integrity. I would not mix ideology and territorial integrity. As much as I disagree with @trackwhack, I do respect his stance. Ideally, India should be totally independent, but in reality, we have no other option but to lean towards the US.
India 's territorial integrity has been tested many times by Chinese and India failed every time.
I rather have USA in the Indian Ocean then communist ugly lizard.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

India 's territorial integrity has been tested many times by Chinese and India failed every time.
I rather have USA in the Indian Ocean then communist ugly lizard.
I'd rather have USA in the Indian Ocean than PLAN, regardless of ideology. For me, communism is never the reason to hate PRC; because, if that were the case, we should stop collaborating with Vietnam, and we should not have taken help of USSR during 1971-72 war. PRC also fought a border war with USSR and Vietnam. Communism has nothing to do with India-PRC border dispute. Therefore, I am stopping short of fully agreeing with your post.

Country flag
I'd rather have USA in the Indian Ocean than PLAN, regardless of ideology. For me, communism is never the reason to hate PRC; because, if that were the case, we should stop collaborating with Vietnam, and we should not have taken help of USSR during 1971-72 war. PRC also fought a border war with USSR and Vietnam. Communism has nothing to do with India-PRC border dispute. Therefore, I am stopping short of fully agreeing with your post.
More than ideology they are our biggest enemy that the Indian government is pretending does not exist.
The government has projected a weak image for India that has created A vacuum that other powers want
To fill.I have no problems with india russia ties regardless of communism. But china is an enemy that has
Taken enough Indian territory starting with Tibet and I don't want to carry on a sily chrade about how good
Relations are when they are still supplying nuclear weapons tech to pakistan. They are an enemy and until
They are addressed as one no progress will be made only an inevitable war or wars await.

pmaitra

More than ideology they are our biggest enemy that the Indian government is pretending does not exist.
The government has projected a weak image for India that has created A vacuum that other powers want
To fill.I have no problems with india russia ties regardless of communism. But china is an enemy that has
Taken enough Indian territory starting with Tibet and I don't want to carry on a sily chrade about how good
Relations are when they are still supplying nuclear weapons tech to pakistan. They are an enemy and until
They are addressed as one no progress will be made only an inevitable war or wars await.
Frankly, our biggest mistake was ignoring Aksai Chin after independence. When PLA captured the Tibetan Army in Chamdo, we should have taken a signal and sent our forces to our borders. We did not do that. PRC is an enemy and we all agree with that. War is inevitable. The Indian Government really needs to focus on defense. You are right, GoI is pretending that a threat does not exist, when it is very real and imminent. Just like Ved Prakash Malik said, we have neglected our defense for far too long. We need to get closer with the US, and Japan, Australia, Vietnam, Philippines, and start building up our military.

Country flag
India military is doing the right things we can hold the line alone against china but forming alliances we can crush china.
Any future war against china involving india Imo will be most likely in an anti chinese alliance that are currently forming.
I will give world war two as an example where india soldiers in alliances crushed three major axis Powers japan.
,Germany and italy

pmaitra

India military is doing the right things we can hold the line alone against china but forming alliances we can crush china.
Any future war against china involving india Imo will be most likely in an anti chinese alliance that are currently forming.
Exactly. I am more interested in fighting and taking back Aksai Chin from the clutches of PRC, and to do that, we have to be part of an alliance. We can hold the lines on our own, but we cannot take back our territory without an alliance.

Country flag
Exactly. I am more interested in fighting and taking back Aksai Chin from the clutches of PRC, and to do that, we have to be part of an alliance. We can hold the lines on our own, but we cannot take back our territory without an alliance.
There is no reason to stop withh aksai chin Tibet is more important to get back.any future war involving
China against an alliance will mean a breakup of China into three four different territories eg Germany ww2

aerokan

Country flag
What do you guys mean by alliance? Does it mean lending our territory to alliance countries? If yes, can't we just have an alliance without lending our territory?

People who mention our treaty of friendship with USSR as an excuse to let US use Andaman are probably forgetting that we haven't lent our territory to USSR.

If we don't need to lend our territory to alliance countries, then I am all for an alliance. But that may/may not be wise enough.

If we want to get back Aksai Chin back, don't we need a war with China for that? If we are in an alliance with US right from the start, how would we get a war with China?

The best strategy would be to let China feel that it can defeat us at will when we up the ante and let them make a mistake. Forge secret alliance before this happens and when China hits us, retaliate back in full and 'teach them a lesson'. :laugh:

If anybody thinks that slaving will solve the problems, they are the biggest dumbasses of all time. I guess it's time we need some strategic thinking in this forum as well. :namaste:

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Americans are almost everywhere with permission, Mainly working around with us..
There is no probability that the US military will request any base facility on Indian Soil on the lines of Guam or Bahrain. They are smart enough to know the political sensitivity of the issue in India and indeed in the entire neighbourhood.

What the US military may and probably will request is acess to logistics support for their assets (both covert and overt) in the region of combined interest. This is the reason for their nudging us on the logistics agreement. They want our support to conduct longer and more effective patrols and surveillanve on the Mallaca Straits. In addition they will want sharing and combined surveillance with the IN, especially with the induction of P8i.

Without any major overt agression by the PRC, it is unlikely the US military will request any other forms of access.

However the field of intelligence co-operation between the CIA & RAW has always been an interesting spectacle, and have been fairly good even when the two countries couldn't see each other eye to eye diplomatically. From the 1960s joint monitoring and snooping on PRC's nuke tests to the 1980s when RAW and CIA co-operated clandestinely to spy on Pak's nuclear capability.

The two intelligence agencies share a very good working relationship and they will be at the forefront of any co-operation, not the military. It is possible that CIA spy ACs may be allowed landing rights after conducting snooping missions inside PRC, like the Nehru allowed U2 flights over China in 1960s. The CIA did not get the base to themselves like the Shamsi Airbase in Pak, but only were allowed to conduct flights. The base was maintained and controlled by India. No harm to soverigneity now, is there?

It is also entirely possible that the USN SSNs may be allowed secretive basing rights on the massive complex that is coming up in Andamans, allowing them extended patroling capability on the region. Unlikely IMO though. What I'd really like to see is the sharing of acoustic signature database that USN has built up of the PLAN ships and subs.

Country flag
Most alliances involve sharing territory, supplies,logistics,intelligence,resources etc....
All our neighbors have gladly given territory to Chinese and probably would do the same for any anti
Indian cause US is using the andamans because it's easier than using Diego Garcia. Chinese have taken
Coco islands so this is not the same.

pmaitra

Or US can let India and China fight it out and then deal with China. China occupies 90,000 sq miles of India not the USA.
Or better still, US can simply stay neutral and let India and Pakistan fight it out. You will have less terrorists trying to blow up Times Square.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Most alliances involve sharing territory, supplies,logistics,intelligence,resources etc....
All our neighbors have gladly given territory to Chinese and probably would do the same for any anti
Indian cause US is using the andamans because it's easier than using Diego Garcia. Chinese have taken
Coco islands so this is not the same.
China claims it has got nothing on Coco Islands. But well .. time will tell.
If not today, then in future I expect some listening posts and other infrastructure to pop up.
As far as Americans as concerned, they're looking to combine
a) their intel and surveillance capability with
b) the Indian ground advantage over Malacca straits.
Makes an interesting cocktail ;) but we have to be careful.
Four decades back they were roaring in the same bay with a fleet to threaten us.

Regards,
Virendra

cloud

Country flag
May be we can allow with conditions to Only Operate the surveillance drone under Indian supervision, Not a big deal (drone term has gotten much hype, due to parkies), but we must also get something in return(that should be a strategic place important to India wrt Pak or China or other important place, no material or money,). Now if US can't offer us any strategic location then they can think about leasing one of their moving islands(ACCs) :p or they transfer the full TOT in advance of any drone which lands on Andamans with the option to allow our enggs to inspect the drones. :)

Last edited:
Country flag
China claims it has got nothing on Coco Islands. But well .. time will tell.
If not today, then in future I expect some listening posts and other infrastructure to pop up.
As far as Americans as concerned, they're looking to combine
a) their intel and surveillance capability with
b) the Indian ground advantage over Malacca straits.
Makes an interesting cocktail ;) but we have to be careful.
Four decades back they were roaring in the same bay with a fleet to threaten us.

Regards,
Virendra
China is also in Gwadar and Gilget-baltistan as well as ports in Sri Lanka
and Bangladesh and missiles pointed at all major Indian cities from Tibet,
they have India covered.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Or US can let India and China fight it out and then deal with China. China occupies 90,000 sq miles of India not the USA.
A politically correct statement, but technically it is a border dispute, other then that the real threat perception is in between US-China. For the India story! US wont fight an Indian war.

Country flag
A politically correct statement, but technically it is a border dispute, other then that the real threat perception is in between US-China. For the India story! US wont fight an Indian war.
China is a worst threat than USSR ever was. USSR was.just a military threat
China is a military and economic threat. As far as a USA china war goes india
Will be neutral for the most part even after a US victory india would not be an
Economic or military threat to USA. The war is more likely to be USA and china
First simply because limited resources oil that both nations are the biggest
consumers of.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles