US may offer India-like nuke deal to Pak!!!

Country flag
Pakistan getting the nuclear deal in many ways will be a benefit for India it will take the pressure of India in regards to the NPT and Indian policy would not have to be so tilted towards US like some of their other poodles.

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Let me put my conspiracy theory in this. All those who think the pakistani government is purposely cutting power for 20 hours to instigate its people to protest so that it can prove to the US that it has a problem, put your hands up.

Pakistan is asking for parity with india. Why can't it ask for a deal period. Why say we want what india says? Nothing but like a kid who wants the goodies the neighbor has. There is no way any deal will be given as pakistan will not be able to fund it. As it is its living on hand outs. Where will it get the billions for nuke plants? Companies like GE won't work for free for them and surely the US won't be sucked into giving the pakistanis a nuke plant in charity.
Let me take your theory little further.why would companies like GE etc provide reactors when FODP and USA are ready to fund it on the name of war on terror.Well if usa can fund pak army with offensive weapons like P3c,Aim 120c etc in the name of WOT then why not nuke reactor in the name of WOT?

Country flag
Let me take your theory little further.why would companies like GE etc provide reactors when FODP and USA are ready to fund it on the name of war on terror.Well if usa can fund pak army with offensive weapons like P3c,Aim 120c etc in the name of WOT then why not nuke reactor in the name of WOT?
This is an interesting point AJ, Pakistan can claim they cannot fight terrorists in the dark but USA has given them night vision googles so even that argument can be debated?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The pakistanis can blackmail the US. I don't think it will be able to pass the NSG hurdle that india barely crossed. The US might just humor pakistan knowing fully well that no NSG clearance will come. It can just tell pakistan, see we tried but sorry NSG didn't accept. Barack Obummer will become the laughing stock of the world for giving the pakistanis a deal.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I seriously dont know why the USA is demeaning and making a fool out of itself! Bush did much harm in making the US a laughing stock, Obama seems to be moving forward in that path, clinching hard, more than Bush! I am sure in 10 Years time, the USA will be a pale of what it Once "Was".

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yusuf if you look at the chronology of the voting at NSG for india,USA did a lot of backstage dealing and arm twisting with countries like Newzealand and Austria.At NSG voting USA had put all its weight in favour of india.So,if USA is sure want to get pakistan NSG clearance then UsA can get that clearance for pakistan, if it can get one for india.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I seriously dont know why the USA is demeaning and making a fool out of itself! Bush did much harm in making the US a laughing stock, Obama seems to be moving forward in that path, clinching hard, more than Bush! I am sure in 10 Years time, the USA will be a pale of what it Once "Was".
For USA foreign policy and it interest it doesn't matter if they become a laughing stock or being hated all over the world.If it serves their tactical interest and foreign policy they dont mind breaking the same rule they made.For morality has no place in realpolitik.Morality is for preaching others in foreign policy but not for following the same by self.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Yusuf if you look at the chronology of the voting at NSG for india,USA did a lot of backstage dealing and arm twisting with countries like Newzealand and Austria.At NSG voting USA had put all its weight in favour of india.So,if USA is sure want to get pakistan NSG clearance then UsA can get that clearance for pakistan, if it can get one for india.
Its not easy for US to do the same weight lifting for Pakistan that it did for India. Moreover, India is an economic giant and so others had to fall in line so as not to be in bad books of India lest they lose business. Pakistan doesn't offer any such advantage like India. There will be more countries opposing a nuclear deal to Pakistan than India due to Pakistan's nuclear proliferation record and given current situation of US, its unlikely that it will be able to get everyone onboard. Also one has to remember that Obama's administration is filled with non-proliferation ayatollahs and they will do their job of not giving a nuclear deal to Pakistan unless it signs NPT, which most likely is not possible.

Last edited:
Country flag
a lot of this maybe pressure by USA against India during the reprocessing negotiations, interesting that this news came out during the reprocessing agreement talks with India.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
This does not come as a surprise to me at all. These are the same Americans who say one thing at Delhi and next day say the opposite in Islamabad. USA was never a friend of India and will never be a friend of India. US administration was well aware about the nuclear proliferation by Pakistan in the past two decades. But they never put any sanction on Pakistan as they need Pakistan against Russia. So there is no big deal if US offers a nuclear deal to Pakistan.

It is going to be near about 18 months since India signed a similar deal with US. This deal is signed after 5/6 years of negotiation. But still it is not fully implemented whereas India had already started doing nuclear business with France and Russia. India got the NSG clearance that is the most important thing.

• Now the big question is, will Pakistan able to get NSG clearance? I feel Russia will not allow it. May be some EU countries of the NSG group oppose it.

• So if Pakistan wants to get NSG clearance it has one option. It must sign the CTBT and NPT treaties. Without signing these, Pakistan will never get NSG clearance.

• One more question. With the current economic state of Pakistan, can it invest heavily in nuclear energy sector? Only China will make investment in Pakistan. France may come in, but a bit doubtful.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Its not easy for US to do the same weight lifting for Pakistan that it did for India. Moreover, India is an economic giant and so others had to fall in line so as not to be in bad books of India lest they lose business. Pakistan doesn't offer any such advantage like India. There will be more countries opposing a nuclear deal to Pakistan than India due to Pakistan's nuclear proliferation record and given current situation of US, its unlikely that it will be able to get everyone onboard. Also one has to remember that Obama's administration is filled non-proliferation ayatollahs and they will do their job of not giving a nuclear deal to Pakistan unless it signs NPT, which most likely is not possible.
Pakistan is fighting for the world and spilling its blood for the world on WOT.isn't it?so they do deserve nuke deal.they have advantage on holding the world to ransom by unleashing the same jehadis on to the world.Let another bali,london,madrid,9/11 type attack happen on the west and then see how the same west comes crawling to pakistan.As for proliferation ayatollahs there job is only of sermonizing.they can't do anything beyond that.And wrt to pakistan being biggest proliferator of nukes, i don't agree with it.if you take into account USA and china's roles then they are the biggest nuke proliferators.

Country flag
This Pakistan deal is good for Iran now there is no reason why USA should bomb Iran for their nuclear program, Iran is an NPT signatory and Pakistan is not. This will also kill the worthless NPT treaty goodbye and good riddance.

NSG_Blackcats

US rejects report of Pak N-deal​

Islamabad: US diplomats based in Pakistan on Monday played down reports of a possible civilian nuclear deal with the country after India urged their government to consider the proliferation track record of Pakistan before deciding on the matter.

The US embassy in Pakistan told a TV channel it would act in accordance with their country’s policy on Pakistan and nuclear proliferation and denied there were any steps to bring Pakistan in the civil nuclear energy ambit, a la India.

The US envoy to India Timothy J. Roemer, however, declined to comment on media reports suggesting that the US was thinking of offering a similar deal to Pakistan.

Source - Zee News

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
well if someone ask me i'll say iran is the most deserving candidate for nuke deal than india and pakistan coz its a NPT signatory.

NSG_Blackcats

^^ I agree with you. Iran has no proliferation track record. India has traditionally very good relationship with Iran. We must continue that.

bhogta

Obama not going to be president in next election take my world. Bush party men will come and they not let Pakistan have this deal. Even if Pakistan get this deal, what good for them. Let child be happy.

Country flag
Obama could have said they are cancelling the Indian deal but they didn't so this is all a buisness ploy.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

Their seem to be no reports in the western media regarding this yet

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Obama not going to be president in next election take my world. Bush party men will come and they not let Pakistan have this deal. Even if Pakistan get this deal, what good for them. Let child be happy.
Why obama wont be elected next??He is pulling out of iraq after 11 months from afghanistan.and todat senate passed health care bill.so he has accomplished most of what he had promised before hie election.now only thing remain is to take care of usa economic decline and job to the people,which he will do by being protectionist in economy and trade.

DaRk WaVe

No N-deal with Pakistan yet: America

NDTV Correspondent, Monday March 22, 2010, New Delhi

Amid reports of a possible civil nuclear deal between US and Pakistan, the American embassy in Pakistan has told NDTV that there are no negotiations on for such an agreement. Yet.

A spokesman of the US embassy in Pakistan said: "The US has not entered negotiations on a civil nuclear agreement with Pakistan. The United States is committed to helping Pakistan address its real and growing energy needs, and we look forward to cooperating with Pakistan in ways that are compatible with Pakistan's economic, environmental and security needs and with US international commitments and policies."

Earlier, the words of Anne W. Patterson, US Ambassador to Pakistan, suggested a change of heart on the part of Washington, which has so far kept rebuffing Pakistan's request for a nuclear deal. Patterson said in an interview to a US-based Pakistani newspaper: "We are beginning to have a discussion with the Pakistan Government" on the country's desire to tap nuclear energy.

She said these would be "working level talks" on the issue in Washington this month. "Earlier on, non-proliferation concerns were quite severe. I think we are beginning to pass those and this is a scenario that we are going to explore...," Patterson said.

Reacting cautiously to the possibility of a deal between the US and Pakistan, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said: "America needs to take a holistic view on the US-Pak nuclear deal...The US should consider Pakistan's track record before any deal."

Government sources said India hoped the international community would strike the right balance between meeting energy needs of any country while taking on board its track record on proliferation of nuclear technology and weapons of mass destruction.

The BJP was quick to criticise reports of a possible US-Pakistan deal, and also accused America of overlooking Pakistan's role in Kashmir. Spokesman Tarun Vijay also said the "N-liability bill is shameful, appeasing the US. It's not acceptable to us." He said the "Prime Minister owes it to the nation that before going to Washington he must clarify the stand and should not do anything against the known position of the Indian state."

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will visit the US next month. Sources have said another stage of the Indo-US civil nuclear deal is through and the public announcement is expected when the PM visits Washington.

India and US have agreed on reprocessing fuel. India can process spent nuclear fuel for reuse in civil nuclear reactors. Reprocessing will be done under international safeguards at a national facility.

http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/no-n-deal-with-pakistan-yet-america-18244.php

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles