US, Indian navies sharing information on Chinese subs

Country flag
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...command-chief-admiral-harry-b-harris-4480900/

Admiral Harry B Harris, Commander of the United States Pacific Command, Wednesday said that US and Indian navies have been sharing information on the movement of Chinese submarines and ships in the Indian Ocean. He also said India should be concerned about the increasing Chinese influence in the region.

“There is sharing of information regarding Chinese maritime movement in the Indian Ocean,” Admiral Harris said. The US, he said, works “closely with India and with improving India’s capability to do that kind of surveillance. Malabar exercise… helps us hone our ability to track what China is doing in the Indian Ocean. Chinese submarines are clearly an issue and we know they are operating through the region.”

Responding to a question from The Indian Express, the Commander said, “India should be concerned about the increasing Chinese influence in the region. If you believe that there is only finite influence, then whatever influence China has means that influence India does not have.”

Although Pakistan does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Pacific Command, Admiral Harris said, “The relationship between China and Pakistan is of concern, and in my discussions with my Indian counterparts, they are clearly concerned about that. I believe that China’s relations with Bangladesh is of some concern… India views China correctly and we share the same view of China and I think we are in a good place.”

Highlighting the signing of military logistics agreement between the two countries last year after a decade, he expected that the two pending foundational agreements, the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) — formerly known as the Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) — and Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) will also be signed but “at a pace India is comfortable with”.

COMCASA allows for secure exchange of communication between the militaries, while BECA is meant to facilitate the sharing of geospatial data. Emphasising their importance, he said that signing the COMCASA will allow the two navies to monitor Chinese submarines even better.

“In tangible terms, the P8 will be able to do more interoperable activities. The P8, as you know, is the world’s best anti-submarine warfare platform. India has the P8-I and we have the P-8A but they are completely uninteroperable because of different communication systems. In order to really maximise the potential of the aeroplane here in the Indian Ocean against those (Chinese) submarines we were talking about, we need to get this agreement through,” Admiral Harris said.

indiandefencefan

Country flag
Disclaimer: Just voicing my recent observations.

With this increased level of cooperation between the US and India I wouldn't be surprised if geopolitical realities will begin to shift.

Russia will apparently refurbish Pakistan's il-76 based aerial re-fuel aircraft. This is the first time Russia has supplied/aided Pakistan with weaponry that directly impacts conventional military capabilities between the us and stands in sharp contrast to a even a decade ago were there was barely any military contact between the two nations in terms of weapon sales.
http://quwa.org/2017/01/16/russia-to-reportedly-refurbish-pakistans-il-78-aerial-tankers/

Unless the Govt. does not implement a re balancing act even billions of $ will not stop Russia's tilt towards Pakistan which is being supported/encuraged by China. Evidence can be seen when Russia did not cancel joint exercises even in the immediate aftermath of Pathankot and its recent island storming exercises with China.

US support has its benefits but as we can see from the example of our neighbor, complete reliance on the US will only bite later and no Israel and Europe cannot be considered adequate bulwarks.

Its up to the govt. to decide whether to go further into the US camp or rebalance.
Hopefully they go for the latter.

sthf

Country flag
Makes sense. Even though Admiral Harris's statement more or less suggests that US wants India to shoulder the gun for them to fire but till the moment we can convert Indian Ocean to India's Ocean, all help is welcome.

In the event of an Indo-Pak confrontation, USN unofficially following PLAN in IOR will create a great advantage for IN. Limited power projection of PLAN means that they will be considerably outnumbered and outgunned in the IOR for near to mid future.

Global Defence

Articles