US Gun Culture :5-year-old boy kills 2-year-old sister by a gifted gun

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

US Gun Culture :5-year-old boy kills 2-year-old sister by a gifted gun

(CNN) -- A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot and kill his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.

The shooting in southern Kentucky has been ruled an accident, Kentucky State Police Trooper Billy Gregory said."It's just one of those nightmares," he said, "a quick thing that happens when you turn your back."Young children in the area are often introduced to guns at an early age, Gregory said.

"In this part of the country, it's not uncommon for a 5-year-old to have a gun or for a parent to pass one down to their kid," he said.

On Wednesday, state police were still investigating toddler Caroline Sparks' death, CNN affiliate WLEX reported.Her family kept the Crickett rifle in what they considered to be a safe spot, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the CNN affiliate.The boy was playing with it Tuesday when it accidentally went off and killed his sister, White said. "The little Crickett rifle is a single-shot rifle, and it has a child safety," White told CNN. "It's just a tragic situation."

The Crickett website features three .22-caliber rifle models for kids, with shoulder stock colors ranging from pink to red, white and blue swirls. "My first rifle" is the company's slogan.Family members Wednesday described the shooting as an accident."He just picked (the gun) up before he realized it," grandmother Linda Riddle told WLEX.Riddle said her granddaughter enjoyed singing and playing outdoors, and she loved her brother."It's just tragic," uncle David Mann told the CNN affiliate. "It's something that you can't prepare for."Riddle said she is devastated, but comforted knowing that her granddaughter is in a better place.

"It was God's will. It was her time to go, I guess," she told WLEX. "I just know she's in heaven right now and I know she's in good hands with the Lord."Caroline Sparks' death comes after two other incidents in recent months involving young children shooting others.
Before the play date, the gun talk

Kids and guns: 'These are not isolated tragedies'
In early April, a 4-year-old boy in Tennessee shot and killed a 48-year-old woman, and just days later, 6-year-old Brandon Holt was killed in New Jersey after being shot in the head by his 4-year-old playmate.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Re: US Gun Culture :5-year-old boy kills 2-year-old sister by a gifted

Exaggerated news..

$hit happens all the time..
I agree. However, that a 5 year old was carrying a Gun in vicinity of a 2 year old - without parental supervision is a huge blunder of irresponsible gun ownership.
The parent who owns this Gun should be penalised by the law, even though they have paid the price by losing their daughter.
There is no freeloading of rights. With rights come the responsibilities.

Regards,
Virendra

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Exaggerated news..

$hit happens all the time..
When I was 5 I almost killed my 3 year old sister with a rock. I threw it at her feet to scare her away and it bounced up and hit her in the forehead.:-(

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Shhhh... Anti-gun activists might say that - it is because of the guns you saw as a kid that made you violent enough to throw the rock!

When I was 5 I almost killed my 3 year old sister with a rock. I threw it at her feet to scare her away and it bounced up and hit her in the forehead.:-(

Ankit Purohit

Country flag

Lollypop Key Time Pe Gun

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

was it a .22inch firearm or a .22mm BB type air gun?

DivineHeretic

Country flag

I am no anti firearm activist nor do I advocate a gun for everyone.As far as I am concerned its a personal choice and must be kept as such.

What however I strongly believe, is that Law must clearly mark those who are eligible to own and carry a gun. Only persons who are able to think for themselves and know the significance and understand the responsibility of carrying the gun should be allowed to hold one. As long as these criteria are fulfilled, I couldn't care less if he carries a. 22 or a 12.7mm or a bubble gum.

Ps: A child should always be kept away from violence in formative years. Just my 2 cents.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Strange views of many members. :hmm:

So its right to give real guns to 5 year olds??? and then say "the kid should not go un-attended"!!!!! :shocked:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

Strange views of many members. :hmm:

So its right to give real guns to 5 year olds??? and then say "the kid should not go un-attended"!!!!! :shocked:
A Gun should never be "given" to a 5 year old in the sense you mean.
The child can at most be allowed to familiarize with the Gun for sometime under direct constant adult supervision. No more.
Why familiarize in this age you may ask?
Read these in full to know how in adult supervision such a familiarization could turn the potentially dangerous Gun curiousity of the child into normal knowledge of a boring device - Disarming Kids' Curiosity | Cornered Cat
https://www.corneredcat.com/article/kids-and-guns/the-first-lesson/

How much one exposes their kids to Guns, in what manner at what different ages will eventually determine how they work with Guns; not only tactically but also psychologically.

Regards,
Virendra

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Goddam!!!

This is a .22in caliber firearm, not a .22mm pellet air gun!

Whoever gifts a firearm to a 5yr old?

What kind of irresponsible parenthood is this!

Mother of God!

:wtf: :rage:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Goddam!!!

This is a .22in caliber firearm, not a .22mm pellet air gun!

Whoever gifts a firearm to a 5yr old?

What kind of irresponsible parenthood is this!

Mother of God!

:wtf: :rage:

This is EXACTLY my point.

REALLY irresponsible for a parent to do so.But again this stems out from the "Gun Culture" :tsk:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

No! it stems out of the phenomenon that some people are born semi-retarded.

This is EXACTLY my point.

REALLY irresponsible for a parent to do so.But again this stems out from the "Gun Culture" :tsk:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

No! it stems out of the phenomenon that some people are born semi-retarded.

So what you are simply suggesting is that the Kid would have killed his sister anyway if not the gun(may be with a rock as WG did it) since he was a "retard".

Great analogy!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles