US Embassy attacked in Libya and Egypt

sob

Mod
Country flag
BBC News - US official dies in Libya consulate attack in Benghazi

A US state department official was killed and at least one other American was wounded when militiamen stormed the US consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.It is believed the protest was held over a US-produced film that is said to be insulting to the Prophet Muhammad.

Armed men raided the compound with grenades before setting it on fire.

On Tuesday, protesters against the film breached the walls of the US embassy in the Egyptian capital, Cairo.

In the attack in Benghazi, unidentified armed men stormed the grounds, shooting at buildings and throwing handmade bombs into the compound.Security forces returned fire but Libyan officials say they were overwhelmed.

"One American official was killed and another injured in the hand. The other staff members were evacuated and are safe and sound," Libya's deputy interior minister Wanis al-Sharif told AFP news agency. The consular worker was reported to have been shot.

The rally followed a demonstration in Cairo, in which protesters breached the US embassy and tore down the United States flag, which was flying at half mast to mark the 9/11 attacks, and replaced it with an Islamist banner.Thousands of protesters had gathered outside the US embassy in the Egyptian capital.

Egyptian protesters condemned what they said was the humiliation of the Prophet of Islam under the pretext of freedom of speech."Both Muslims and Christians are participating in this protest against this offence to Islam," said one protester, according to Associated Press news agency.

sob

Mod
Country flag
From Al Jazeera

US consulate employee killed in Libya attack - Africa - Al Jazeera English

From Libya

An American staff member of the US consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi has died following fierce clashes at the compound, Libyan security sources said.An armed mob attacked and set fire to the building in a protest against an amateur film deemed offensive to Islam's Prophet Muhammad, after similar protests in Egypt's capital.

"One American staff member has died and a number have been injured in the clashes," Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, spokesman for Libya's Supreme Security Committee, said on Wednesday, adding that rocket-propelled grenades were fired at the building from a nearby farm.

"There are fierce clashes between the Libyan army and an armed militia outside the US consulate," he said. He also said roads had been closed off and security forces were surrounding the building.
From Cairo

Thousands of Egyptian demonstrators apparently angry over the same film - a video produced by expatriate members of Egypt's Coptic community resident in the US - tore down the Stars and Stripes at the US embassy in Cairo and replaced it with a black Islamic flag.

In the day's first such incident, nearly 3,000 demonstrators, most of them Islamist supporters of the Salafist movement or football fans, gathered at the US embassy in Cairo in protest against the amateur film.A dozen men scaled the embassy walls and one of them tore down the US flag, replacing it with a black one inscribed with the Muslim profession of faith: "There is no God but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

Demonstrators also scrawled the first part of the statement - "There is no God but God" - on the walls of the embassy compound.Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, reporting from outside the US embassy in Cairo, said that the protesters want the film – portions of which can be found online - "out of circulation".

sob

Mod
Country flag
Meanwhile reaction from the makers of the film.
Sam Bacile, an American citizen who produced, directed and wrote the two-hour film, said he had not anticipated such a furious reaction.

"I feel sorry for the embassy. I am mad," Bacile said.Speaking from a telephone with a California number, he said the film was produced in English and he doesn't know who dubbed it in Arabic.

The full film has not been shown yet, he said, and he said he has declined distribution offers for now."My plan is to make a series of 200 hours" about the same subject, he said.

Morris Sadek, an Egyptian-born Copt in the US known for his anti-Islam views, told the AP news agency from Washington that he had promoted the video on his website and on certain TV stations, which he did not identify.
The maker of the movie is not aware who dubbed the movie in Arabic and posted on the internet. This seems to be planned to make maximum possible problem.

Iamanidiot

Jasmine revolution coming home to roost.The Pakistanis will try to derive maximum milage out of this

boris

Country flag
I'd love to see the a-holes who did this barbaric act with two bullets in their chest.I hate these lunatic arabs.

parijataka

Country flag
Interesting to see what steps USA will take as a result of this incident, killing of an Ambassador is a serious thing. And this for some unknown person in USA making a movie allegedly disrespecting Prophet Muhammad. Also, how/whether this will affect President Obama's elections prospects. Will the USA, that permits all shades of opinions and is the most free country, restrict free speech because of these Islamic fundamentalists ?

Last edited:

boris

Country flag
Interesting to see what steps USA will take as a result of this incident, killing of an Ambassador is a serious thing. And this for some unknown person in USA making a movie allegedly disrespecting Prophet Muhammad. Also, how/whether this will affect President Obama's elections prospects. Will thebUSA, that permits all shades of opinions and is the most free country, restrict free speech because of these Islamic fundamentalists ?
I hope the US takes some good hard action,who gives a damn about that [edited] Muhammad

Last edited by a moderator:

average american

I am a proponet of the Horrible Example Theory for the changeing of group behavior, but then I am not very civilized. Think it was Teddy Roosevelt that said speak softly and carry a big stick......some of the things I could think of would be to excute every one in the Libyan embassy in the USA might be a good start. Like I say I am not very civilized. Right now I am mad as hell.

boris

Country flag
I am a proponet of the Horrible Example Theory for the changeing of group behavior, but then I am not very civilized. Think it was Teddy Roosevelt that said speak softly and carry a big stick......some of the things I could think of would be to excute every one in the Libyan embassy in the USA might be a good start. Like I say I am not very civilized. Right now I am mad as hell.
I like what the Russians did in Lebanon in the 80's,I'd send the cut parts of all Libyan embassy employees gift-wrapped to their family.When people do crap like this being civilized is the last thing to do.

average american

I hope the US takes some good hard action,who gives a damn about that [edited] Muhammad
We wont restrict free speech and we did not have anyting to do with the what set them off any way was in UK I think.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Mubarak and Gaddaffi kept the mongrels in check. So did Saddam. I feel for Israel. They will bear the brunt. Its just a matter of time before Turkey plunges into fundamentalism too.
Its already happening. The government is fundamentalist while the Army was secular. Now Army is being cleansed of the secular forces. Its only a matter of time.

average american

Where this could lead is to Israel implementing the Samson Option and reduceing the middle east to radioactive glass. This is going to put more pressure on the Obama to support Israel in a war with Iran.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Where this could lead is to Israel implementing the Samson Option and reduceing the middle east to radioactive glass. This is going to put more pressure on the Obama to support Israel in a war with Iran.
Yeah, you are correct. Only an average american mind is capable of reasoning in this fashion. And what do you think happens to Israel and America after that?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles