US doesn't want to arm Pak against India: Obama to Zardari

smartindian

Country flag
The US does not want to arm Pakistan against India, President Barack Obama had categorically told his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari during a meeting at the Oval Office months after assuming the top American office. "We do not begrudge you being concerned about India," Obama had told

related stories
'US arms sale to Pak matter of concern for India'
Zardari at the meeting on May 7, 2009, which was also attended by the Pakistan President's son Bilawal, according to a new book.
This was a chance for the two Presidents to forge a personal connection, writes award-winning investigative
American journalist Bob Woodward in his latest book Obama's War that hit the stands on Monday.

"... we do not want to be part of arming you (Pakistan) against India, so let me be very clear about that," Obama, who
assumed office in January 2009, had said.

To his remarks, Zardari responded saying: "We are trying to change our world view but it's not going to happen
overnight."

Running into 417-pages, the book gives a detailed account of how the United States has not been able to make things move in a positive direction and get desired cooperation from Pakistan in the war on terror, despite having significantly
increased the aid to Islamabad.

One of the main reasons, several top US officials say, is Pakistan's apprehension and hatred against India, according to
the book.

"Pakistan thinks about the US role in Afghanistan in the context of its relationship with India," the then Director
of National Intelligence Dennis Blair told Obama at one of his situation room meetings.

It was the cliche that Pakistan's obsession with its "mortal enemy", India, cause the nation to harbour terrorists,
the book says.

"There's a fundamental incoherence in the strategy" for dealing with Pakistan, US Vice President Joe Biden said at the
same meeting chaired by Obama.

"What Pakistan does not want, as a matter of faith, is a unified Afghan government that is led by a Pashtun sympathetic
to India" like President Hamid Karzai, he said.

US doesn't want to arm Pak against India: Obama to Zardari - Hindustan Times

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Status of US ties with Pak was like a 'cold shower' for Obama: Woodward

2010-09-27 12:50:00
Well-known author-cum-journalist Bob Woodward has revealed in his latest book "Obama's Wars that President Barack Obama's focus is turning increasingly to Pakistan, even as his administration's military efforts continue to be directed at Afghanistan.

Woodward told ABC News that Obama was told of deep problems in the US relationship with Pakistan in his very first intelligence briefing, and it seemed like"a cold shower" coming days after his triumphant 2008 presidential victory.

"Imagine the high of being elected on that Tuesday and they come in two days later and say, by the way, here's-here are the secrets, and one of the secrets is Pakistan," Woodward said.

"We're attacking with a top-secret, covert operation, the safe havens in Pakistan, but Pakistan is living a lie. And this is a theme throughout the whole Obama presidency: 'How do you get control of Pakistan?' "

In Pakistan, President Asif Ali Zardari is depicted as quietly providing help to U.S. enemies, with the CIA suspecting that his government compromised its intelligence.

"You can't keep playing one side against the other," Biden warns Zardari, according to Woodward's book.

For his part, Zardari expresses frustration that Americans are too concerned about civilian casualties. Woodward reports that Zardari told then-CIA Director Michael Hayden that his poll numbers were high enough to weather blowback from casualties.

"Collateral damage worries you Americans. It does not worry me," Zardari told Hayden, Woodward writes.

The president secretly consulted several times with Colin Powell, the retired general who served as secretary of state under President George W. Bush.

Powell advised the president not to allow himself to get pushed into a decision by the media, the Democratic base, or the military, Woodward writes. (ANI)

Country flag
You are a lying hypocrite Obama, to make a statement like this after arming pakistan to the teeth and making plans to visit India.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
You are a lying hypocrite Obama, to make a statement like this after arming pakistan to the teeth and making plans to visit India.
All these statements are nothing but to soften up indian media and leadership before Obama's visit.Otherwise Obama gonna 've torrid time in india during his visit due to his anti -india policies on all fronts.

Country flag
All these statements are nothing but to soften up indian media and leadership before Obama's visit.Otherwise Obama gonna 've torrid time in india during his visit due to his anti -india policies on all fronts.
I am still puzzled why he is even making this trip?? His ratings in India are terrible. The only thing i can think of is he is desperate to push the MRCA planes.

SHASH2K2

I am still puzzled why he is even making this trip?? His ratings in India are terrible. The only thing i can think of is he is desperate to push the MRCA planes.
2nd reason could be to secure Indian support in front against China.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I think the discussion here is seriously flawed. I am not sure what Obama's ratings are in India before and after the visit, but he does not view Pakistan as a more worthy ally compared to India. Just a more appropriate one for now. All the military hardware US gives to Pakistan is not only second rated but also useless against what he is offering to India.

SHASH2K2

I think the discussion here is seriously flawed. I am not sure what Obama's ratings are in India before and after the visit, but he does not view Pakistan as a more worthy ally compared to India. Just a more appropriate one for now. All the military hardware US gives to Pakistan is not only second rated but also useless against what he is offering to India.
Check the date of Last comment in this thread. What was the date of Obama visit in India? Before his Visit nobody knew whats he is going to offer us and hence that skeptism about his visit.I think you forgot that 2Billion $ Aid that was declared just few days prior to his visit. Even though Pakistan is not getting latest weapons they are still capable to create enough problems for us.

pmaitra

It's more like this:

• Obama to Pakistan (in public): We don't want to arm you against India.
  • Obama to Pakistan (in private): We will give you aid, which you must use to buy US arms. Also, you will promise to fight against the Taliban.
  • Pakistan to Obama (in public): We are victims of terrorism, so the US has to give us aid and sell us weapons.
  • Pakistan to self (in private): Ha ha, got more dough from Obama! We'll keep taking them for a ride as long as they don't come to the brink of nuking us.

ejazr

Ambassador
Actually even before the trip Obama was one of the most popular leaders in India.

According to the PEW survey published in October. Obama had a 73% approval rating as a person while US had a 66% favorable rating as a country. This is much higher than Bush's rating even though he also had a majority favorable opinion in India as well.

Check out a brief here Obama popular in India: Pew poll or the full report here http://pewglobal.org/files/2010/10/Pew-Global-Attitudes-India-Report-FINAL-October-20-2010.pdf

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Actually even before the trip Obama was one of the most popular leaders in India.

According to the PEW survey published in October. Obama had a 73% approval rating as a person while US had a 66% favorable rating as a country. This is much higher than Bush's rating even though he also had a majority favorable opinion in India as well.

Check out a brief here Obama popular in India: Pew poll or the full report here http://pewglobal.org/files/2010/10/Pew-Global-Attitudes-India-Report-FINAL-October-20-2010.pdf
I have some doubts about the above ratings, I have hardly met anyone educated (cant say about illiterates ) who likes Obama, however few college kids were excited about his visit, but hardly anyone I know who likes him.

P.S: Double standards on pakistan is one of the major reasons people dislike Obama and liked Bush more, I am sure Bush is far more popular in India than this buffoon!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles