US confirms ISI role in 26/11 Mumbai attacks

ejazr

Ambassador
US confirms ISI role in 26/11 Mumbai attacks - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: The US has officially confirmed the role of Pakistan's ISI in the 26/11 attacks on Mumbai by charging Major Iqbal and four other Pakistanis with conspiracy to bomb places of public use in India. Major Iqbal was identified by American LeT operative David Coleman Headley as the ISI officer who funded his surveillance trips to India.

Major Iqbal, LeT commanders Sajid Majeed, Abu Qahafa , Abu al Qama and another LeT commander identified only as "LeT Member D" were named in the second superseding indictment filed by the US federal prosecutors before the Chicago court on April 25, 2011.

According to the indictment, Sajid Majeed alias Sajid Mir, Qahafa and Mazhar Iqbal alias Abu al Qama conspired with each other, Headley, 'Lashkar Member D' and others known and unknown to the grand jury to deliver, place, discharge and detonate explosives and other lethal devices in, into and against places of public use, state and government facilities, public transportation systems and infrastructure facilities in India.

India's National Investigation Agency (NIA), which is handling the probe into Headley's role in 26/11 attacks, has named Major Iqbal, along with another Pakistani Army officer Major Sameer Ali, as the brain behind the 26/11 strikes. An Interpol red corner notice is pending against them.

Headley, the LeT operative in US custody who entered into a plea bargain with the US authorities and pleaded guilty to charges of conducting surveillance ahead of the Mumbai attacks, identified Iqbal as a member of Pakistan's Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence, or ISI, according to the Chicago court records.

"I told (Tahawwur Hussain Rana) about my meetings with Major Iqbal, and told him how I had been asked to perform espionage work for ISI," Headley had stated in his grand jury testimony in the court. "I even told him some of the espionage stories that Major Iqbal had told me. I told (Rana) about my assignment to conduct surveillance in Mumbai," said Headley.

Headley's claims have been denied by Tahawwur Hussain Rana.

The Indian files identify Major Iqbal as a suspected ISI officer who was posted in Lahore during 2007 and 2008. He is accused of handling Headley on behalf of ISI for the Mumbai terror attacks and actively planning and executing the 26/11 strikes.

Described as a man aged 35, 5 feet 10 inches tall, fair with a round face and moustache, Iqbal is believed to be from Sargodha in Pakistan and currently based at the Army Cantonment in Lahore.

The US federal prosecutors, in the second superseding indictment, said that Major Iqbal had in July, 2006, provided around $25,000 to Headley to establish and operate the Mumbai office of First World and meet his own living expenses as he carried out reconnaissance for Lashkar.

In September, 2006, February, 2007, September, 2007, April, 2008 and July, 2008, Headley travelled to Mumbai for extended periods for surveillance of future LeT targets. Headley was in constant touch with Major Iqbal and Sajid Majeed regarding locations where he was to conduct video surveillance and after each trip, he provided them with photographs and videos from the surveillance, the US federal prosecutors said.

In July, Major Iqbal provided Headley another $1,500 for the First World office in Mumbai.

Soon after the Mumbai attacks, Major Iqbal advised Headley to avoid contact with him until further notice and to remove any incriminating materials from his home in Pakistan.

Sajid Majeed alias Sajid Mir, also charge-sheeted by the US federal authorities, heads the LeT's set-up in India. The indictment said he was associated with LeT and supervised others linked to the terrorist outfit in planning, preparing for and carrying out the Mumbai strikes.

------------------------------

Not much help to the families of the victims but maybe a step towards justice?

SHASH2K2

26/11: India gets details of evidence against Rana

India has received details of evidence against Lashkar-e-Taiba frontman Tahawwur Hussain Rana from the US. The documents include detailed evidence collected by US probe agencies prior to the trial of Tahawwur Hussain Rana. The evidence includes volumes of paper and audio tape of conversation between Lashkar operative David Coleman Headley with ISI handler Abdur Rehman Pasha.
Other evidence includes mobile phone records and personal diaries of Rana, which have also been produced in the Chicago court.
India, which has already got a charge-sheet ready against Headley in 26/11 attacks case, will use the documents as evidence.
A US court had acquitted Rana in Mumbai attack case, but found him guilty in LeT plot to attack Denmark.

Vyom

Seeker
So is this Major Iqbal and Abdur Rehman Pasha's identity been confirmed? Headly's testimonies bears no fruit, until they can credibly prove his ISI connections.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
do we indians need stamp of approval from yanks to see ISI hand in terror activities in India?

come one guys be real!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles