US: Clerk jailed for blocking Gay marriage released

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
US: Clerk jailed for blocking Gay marriage released

The US county clerk sent to jail in Kentucky for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples praised God and thanked her supporters Tuesday after a judge ordered her release.

The 49-year-old Davis -- who has argued that she should be exempt from following the law because of her religious beliefs -- has become a heroine for millions of Americans, and rekindled a thorny debate about gay marriage.

Kim Davis, a born-again Christian, was jailed last week for contempt of court after refusing to issue licenses due to her opposition to same-sex marriage, which the Supreme Court legalized across the United States in June.

Davis was overcome with emotion as she climbed onto a flatbed truck to address the large crowd of supporters gathered outside the Kentucky jail to greet her, the sound of Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" drowning out their cheers."I just want to give God the glory," she said, after thanking those at the rally.

"We serve a living God who knows exactly where each and every one of us is at. Just keep on pressing. Don't let down because he is here. He's worthy."Supporters waved white crosses and signs declaring "Religious Freedom" and "Courts Don't Make Laws."

The federal judge who ordered Davis held on contempt charges ruled that she could be released because five of the six deputy clerks in Rowan County "stated under oath that they would comply with the Court's Order and issue marriage certificates to all legally eligible couples." Davis was ordered not to "interfere in any way, directly or indirectly" with the issuance of marriage certificates, Judge David Bunning wrote, warning of "appropriate sanctions" should she do so.

- Politicians cash in-

Republican presidential hopefuls have jumped on the Davis bandwagon, capitalizing on the image of an outspoken Christian woman heading to jail as evidence for their claims that people opposed to gay marriage are suffering religious persecution.Mike Huckabee, a Baptist minister and former governor of the southern state of Arkansas, walked out of the jail with Davis following her release. Rival Ted Cruz also met with Davis and her husband but did not speak at the rally organized by Huckabee.

"I know there are some people who will say this is a rally of hate. They would be wrong," Huckabee told the crowd."We gather here today because we love God and we love this great country."

Bunning had previously said Davis could be released from jail as soon as she agreed to issue marriage licenses to anyone who qualifies, as her position requires, or resigned from her government job.But her intentions about her job remain somewhat unclear."Kim Davis will not violate her conscience," lawyer Mathew Staver said.

"She cannot allow her name to be associated with something that conflicts with God's definition of marriage."

She also has no intention of resigning, he told the crowd.Rowan County handed out its first certificate to a same-sex couple on Friday. The license was altered so that "Rowan County" rather than "Kim Davis" appeared on the line reserved for the name of the clerk.Those licenses are not legally valid, her lawyer said.

He proposed a "simple accommodation" -- that the court or the state legislature alter marriage licenses so they are no longer issued with the name or under the authority of county clerks.

- 'God's authority' -

Davis stopped issuing all marriage certificates in mid-August following the Supreme Court's landmark June 26 ruling legalizing gay marriage.

The elected public servant with long hair and a preference for skirts down to her ankles is not the only one to have taken such a position.

But the Apostolic Christian has become a symbol for the fight in the United States between liberals and conservatives and between First Amendment rights to freedom of religion and other laws.A number of gay couples -- often surrounded by journalists -- tried to obtain marriage licenses from Davis in recent weeks. They were all rejected.

"We are not issuing marriage licenses today," Davis says in one video of a confrontation posted online.When asked under whose authority, Davis responds calmly: "Under God's authority."

Critics have accused her of bigotry and hypocrisy, saying she has been divorced three times, and is married for a fourth time.
======================================================================================
@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @alphacentury @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @Bangalorean @Blackwater @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @hit&run @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @maomao @Mad Indian @OneGrimPilgrim @Peter @pmaitra @Razor @raja696 @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @Screambowl @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @Sylex21 @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @thethinker @VIP @Vishwarupa @VIP @Varahamihira @roma @Gabriel92

Sylex21

Everyone here hates her. A very tiny fraction of religious radicals support this horrible woman. She has been warned that she will be jailed again if she interferes in the issuing of Gay Marriage Licenses by the staff in her office. She was also elected in some tiny back-water town.

These sorts of stories are good to share internationally, as they help show westerners the other side of the coin. The west LOVES to run ridiculous stories on India that some random person in a tiny village is rumored to have done and then present it as something that happens in all of India.

Country flag
Us government has passed a law making gay marriage legal. This lady would probably been fired elsewhere. Not made a hero.

I_PLAY_BAD

Personally I feel what this woman has done no wrong. USA passed a law only recently to legalize same sex marriages so she is prosecuted. All these years she and the entire USA treated same sex marriages illegal.

Same sex marriages are unnatural. If it is a biological behaviour why don't we see it in animals and only in humans.

I don't support a law being passed for same sex marriage. Just ignore it.

cannonfodder

Country flag

blueblood

So you want your religious beliefs to be law and the actual law to be just a belief. :lol:

That woman is not particularly smart and with three divorces in her kitty I wonder what she will preach about next.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Same sex marriages are unnatural. If it is a biological behaviour why don't we see it in animals and only in humans.
:lol:. Uttering bs wont take you anywhere. Homosexuality is found even among animals.

You know what is actually unnatural? Marriage. other than the Human apes, no other animal practices that. It is unnatural. So stop marrying. Also stop using computer. No other animal does that, also unnatural. Also, stop flying in aeroplanes. and Stay there in USA. No other animal does that and it is unnatural. Also animals have a strong ingroup tendency, that is animals dont allow animals of other clans/tribes/packs to come near them and work with them. So Americans allowing you to stay and work with them is unnatural and found only among Humans. So stop your work right now and come back to india by swimming across the oceans, because any other mode of transport is unnatural and found only among Humans:rolleyes:

Moral of the story: Stop being a Hypocrite

I_PLAY_BAD

:lol:. Uttering bs wont take you anywhere. Homosexuality is found even among animals.

You know what is actually unnatural? Marriage. other than the Human apes, no other animal practices that. It is unnatural. So stop marrying. Also stop using computer. No other animal does that, also unnatural. Also, stop flying in aeroplanes. and Stay there in USA. No other animal does that and it is unnatural. Also animals have a strong ingroup tendency, that is animals dont allow animals of other clans/tribes/packs to come near them and work with them. So Americans allowing you to stay and work with them is unnatural and found only among Humans. So stop your work right now and come back to india by swimming across the oceans, because any other mode of transport is unnatural and found only among Humans:rolleyes:

Moral of the story: Stop being a Hypocrite
I don't know whether you understood the context or not. What I was trying to ask is if homosexuality is biological or psychological ?
Give a meaningful answer for that if you can instead of your unnecessary BS. I do not want to read it.
I see same sex marriage as unnatural. I am not going to change my perspective. Go bang your head somewhere else.
USA ? Do you know I am in USA ? No.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
As much as I am a libertarian, you can't have the government discriminating once the SC has passed the order legalizing same sex marriage throughout the country. You don't like it, go pass a Constitutional amendment - just as Lincoln did against the Dred Scott decision.

Interesting the super-evangelical Presidential candidate Hucakbee, who has been railing against the SC decision ever since it was handed down, has inserted himself into the case.

Lets see if this gets escalated further.

Sylex21

Us government has passed a law making gay marriage legal. This lady would probably been fired elsewhere. Not made a hero.
The reason she can't be fired is because she is an elected official in a small town, so she wasn't hired by anyone, she ran for the position and there is no way to recall her unless the voters of this small town here to all get on board. She's only made a hero by a very tiny group of religious fanatics, everyone else in the nation is constantly making fun of her. Because she could not be fired, they threw her in jail as a warning.

Sylex21

Personally I feel what this woman has done no wrong. USA passed a law only recently to legalize same sex marriages so she is prosecuted. All these years she and the entire USA treated same sex marriages illegal.

I don't support a law being passed for same sex marriage. Just ignore it.
The fact that you actually got likes on this is shocking. First off "gay" whatever isn't unnatural and it IS seen in nature.
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/homosexuality-is-found-in-over-1500-species-homophobia-is-only-found-in-one-which-one-seems-unnat/question-1874611/
Homosexuality is found in over 1,500 species. Homophobia is found in only one, tell me again which one is "unnatural"

Second religion basically amounts to an opinion. People are welcome to have any opinion they like, but this woman rejecting gay couples marriage applications and breaking the law is absolutely unacceptable. If I believe in Zeus and think people who wear black shirts should get parking tickets, would you still say "oh he's done nothing wrong, he's following his religion?". People are welcome to whatever bs they believe, but when interacting with others they need to follow the laws and do the jobs they have been hired for.

As long as they aren't forcing you to be gay why do you care what other people do? Being against gay marriage because you don't like it, is like being against someone else eating a doughnut because you are on a diet.

Sylex21

I don't know whether you understood the context or not. What I was trying to ask is if homosexuality is biological or psychological ?
Give a meaningful answer for that if you can instead of your unnecessary BS. I do not want to read it.
I see same sex marriage as unnatural. I am not going to change my perspective. Go bang your head somewhere else.
USA ? Do you know I am in USA ? No.
So you are saying he can present you with irrefutable scientific proof, and you aren't going to change your perspective?

As for your "is it biological or psychological", current scientific evidence points to both, though it is popularly accepted as "born this way." Most of the people we think of as "gay" are usually biologically gay, but many more people have the potential to be bisexual, but act heterosexual in our society.

pmaitra

Wrong premise in that link.

In each one of those 1,500 species, what percentage of the population mainfests homosexuality? Is there any statistically significant data to come to any conclusion?

We need thousands of samples for each one of those 1,500 species, and we need the data. We need to define what is homosexuality in each of those 1,500 species, and label them, so as to study the large sample set for each species.

There is no data present in that link.

Quoting:
Science has proven that there are animals out there (other than homosapians) that show homosexual tendancies.
True statement, only if that "homosapians" is changed to "Homo sapiens."

Paralllel:
Science has proven that there are humans out there that show tendancies to rape others.
Again, true statement.

Paralllel:
Science has proven that there are humans out there that show tendancies to steal from others.
Again, true statement.

Paralllel:
Science has proven that there are animals out there that show tendancies to eat members of its own species.
Again, true statement.

Now, do you see where your argument flies?

Tendencies of a small minority are statistical outliers, and not the norm. Some people are lactose intolerant, but they are a minority. It is normal for people to drink milk. Some people are gluten intolerant, but again, they are a minority. It is normal for people to eat wheat that contains gluten, a natural protein duo.

Now, coming back to the spelling mistake made in that article, why would anyone take it seriously? The source is called Soda Head. It was probably written by a soda head.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
United States
The U. S. Supreme Court ruled on June 26, 2015, that the Constitution grants same-sex couples the right to marry, effectively legalizing same-sex marriage in the thirteen states where it remained banned. The five-to-four ruling, which extends to U. S. territories, came amid dramatic shifts in public opinion: 57 percent of Americans polled in 2015 approved of same-sex marriage, up from 35 percent in 2001.

The rulings came less than two decades after President Bill Clinton signed the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman, thereby denying same-sex couples federal marriage benefits such as access to health care,retirement and tax benefits for spouses of veterans and federal employees, and green cards for immigrant spouses of U. S. citizens. In June 2013, the Supreme Court struck down the parts of DOMA that denied federal benefits to same-sex couples.

Despite the Supreme Court ruling, a debate continues in the United States over the balance between legal equality and the rights of individuals and institutions to object to same-sex marriages on the basis of religious belief. Shortly before the Supreme Court decision, Republican lawmakers introduced the First Amendment Defense Act, a bill that would provide legal protection from anti-discrimination laws for institutions, individuals, and businesses that want to avoid involvement in same-sex marriage (for example, by providing services to wedding receptions).

http://www.cfr.org/society-and-culture/same-sex-marriage-global-comparisons/p31177

I_PLAY_BAD

So you are saying he can present you with irrefutable scientific proof, and you aren't going to change your perspective?

As for your "is it biological or psychological", current scientific evidence points to both, though it is popularly accepted as "born this way." Most of the people we think of as "gay" are usually biologically gay, but many more people have the potential to be bisexual, but act heterosexual in our society.
Why do I have to change my perspective for you people ?
I acquired this perspective after applying thought to it. It won't change, sorry.

I_PLAY_BAD

The fact that you actually got likes on this is shocking. First off "gay" whatever isn't unnatural and it IS seen in nature.
Homosexuality is found in over 1,500 species. Homophobia is found in only one, tell me again which one is "unnatural"

Second religion basically amounts to an opinion. People are welcome to have any opinion they like, but this woman rejecting gay couples marriage applications and breaking the law is absolutely unacceptable. If I believe in Zeus and think people who wear black shirts should get parking tickets, would you still say "oh he's done nothing wrong, he's following his religion?". People are welcome to whatever bs they believe, but when interacting with others they need to follow the laws and do the jobs they have been hired for.

As long as they aren't forcing you to be gay why do you care what other people do? Being against gay marriage because you don't like it, is like being against someone else eating a doughnut because you are on a diet.
You are totally wrong. I said gay marriages are unnatural, that doesn't mean I hate them and personally disrespect / disregard them. I pity them. Is there a necessity for us to accept it natural ? Was it done in the past, ever ? When have you seen legal gay couples ? May be after some 100 or 200 years homosexual couples may be treated natural worldwide. Try to understand my point before replying unlike others.
And how are you people able to paint this thought with a religious perspective. Nature is different from religion. Understand that first.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles