US, China heading towards Cold War?

average american

You do realize it is based on Global Competitiveness Report 2004-2005 right?
It was based on companies spending on R&D, the creativity of its scientific community, personal computer and internet penetration rates.
You are judging the current standard based on some 7-8 years old report? :lol:
You truelly are an average american.:cool2:
The USA has earned 331 Nobel Prizes ,, mostly for medicine and science, China has earned one for peace and that man is still in prision for speaking out. When below average China wins a Nobel Prize for medicine or science, get back with me....
China does not worry me any country thats need 30,000 censors biggest threat is their own people, not some out side enemy..

Amnesty International notes that China "has the largest recorded number of imprisoned journalists and cyber-dissidents in the world." The offences of which they are accused include communicating with groups abroad, signing online petitions, and calling for reform and an end to corruption.[3] The escalation of the government's effort to neutralize critical online opinion comes after a series of large anti-Japanese, anti-pollution, anti-corruption protests, and ethnic riots, many of which were organized or publicized using instant messaging services, chat rooms, and text messages. The size of the Internet police is rumored at more than 30,000.[4]

average american

From all appearances, the United States and China have an adversarial relationship. Economically speaking, the former nation has always been a bastion of capitalism while the latter has introduced sweeping market reforms into what was a communist system.

Leaders from both sides regularly rattle their sabers over political issues and express concerns what the other is doing within its sphere of influence. But appearances, even those maintained over decades can be deceiving. Dig deeper and you will find two nations who have grown so close in the past decade that their economic futures are now to a large extent co-dependent.

Many people in the US are uncomfortable with the fact that China today wields tremendous power, thanks to its more than one trillion dollars invested in US government debt. On the flipside, the health of the US economy is crucial to the success of China's economic growth, given the demand for cheap goods from American consumers. For more than a decade, both countries have benefited from this arrangement, but now in the midst of the global financial crisis, leaders are raising questions about its long-term viability. Does it make economic sense?

You aren't the only one worried about your portfolio. In recent weeks, China's leaders have publicly fretted over the health of their portfolio and their dependency on the US economy. "We have lent a huge amount of money to the U.S. Of course we are concerned about the safety of our assets. To be honest, I am definitely a little worried," Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said, according to comments reported by the New York Times in March.

A Communist leader worried about his investment in the US Economy? What is this world coming to? China's leaders are freaking out because they fear they have over-invested in the US. And with inflation expected to rise as the result of printing more money to pay for the stimulus plan, China is fearful that its investments portfolio will lose significant value. There are other cries in China to reduce its dependency on the US and to diversify, raising the nightmare scenario of a significant divestment in US assets. While the move may seen logical, it's unlikely that China will do anything drastic, given the sheer size of its investment in the US and the global consequences that a divestment would cause.

"From an economic aspect, it would be suicidal for them to sell their US assets, which would diminish the value of their portfolio," said Kathryn Dominguez, professor of economics and public policy at the University of Michigan. "They are in a way stuck because were they to do this it would harm them at least as much as it would the US". Such is the reality of a globalized economy. Systems are interconnected to the point that drastic moves by one country will have drastic effects on many other countries. Pulling out hundreds of billions of dollars in US Treasury bills would make a serious impact the value of other countries' holdings.

So far, there are no signs of China pulling out its money en masse, but there is no doubt an easing of China's appetite for US holdings. The US Treasury released figures showing China increased its Treasury holdings by a mere $4.6 billion between January and February 2009, maintaining a slowdown in China's appetite for U.S. government securities since the financial crisis hit. Earlier this month, China's central bank released figures for the first quarter this year showing its foreign holdings increased by $7.7 billion, considerably less than the $153.9 billion surge during the same quarter last year, according to the New York Times.

Dominguez added that China's investment philosophy prevents it from rocking the boat because the government is more worried about the issues that could arise twenty years from now. Despite its pace of growth, China continues to face many domestic challenges, such as the growing disparity in wealth, a growing population of senior citizens, and potential social upheaval from greater masses of unemployed workers affected by the downturn.

Besides, where else will China put its money? The US Treasury remains a safe haven during these challenging times.

For now, both countries face an urgent need to bolster their economies, and both have launched massive stimulus packages. It remains to be seen whether this cycle of cheap imports and cheap credit needs to change. What's certain is that the US and China remain reluctant dance partners who can't find a suitable replacement among the crowd.
MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice | US and China — Two Peas in a Pod

Last edited:

ice berg

The USA has earned 331 Nobel Prizes ,, mostly for medicine and science, China has earned one for peace and that man is still in prision for speaking out. When below average China wins a Nobel Prize for medicine or science, get back with me....
China does not worry me any country thats need 30,000 censors biggest threat is their own people, not some out side enemy..

Amnesty International notes that China "has the largest recorded number of imprisoned journalists and cyber-dissidents in the world." The offences of which they are accused include communicating with groups abroad, signing online petitions, and calling for reform and an end to corruption.[3] The escalation of the government's effort to neutralize critical online opinion comes after a series of large anti-Japanese, anti-pollution, anti-corruption protests, and ethnic riots, many of which were organized or publicized using instant messaging services, chat rooms, and text messages. The size of the Internet police is rumored at more than 30,000.[4]
SO now we are moving from the 7-8 years old article you used to Nobel Prizes and human rights?
When you run out of arguments, use a diversion. :lol:

average american

SO now we are moving from the 7-8 years old article you used to Nobel Prizes and human rights?
When you run out of arguments, use a diversion. :lol:
I like my diversion better then yours. Can you explain why country with over a billion people could not come up with a Nobel Prize winner in over sixty years, seems like a reasonable question. I mean one you have not put in prison.

ice berg

I like my diversion better then yours. Can you explain why country with over a billion people could not come up with a Nobel Prize winner in over sixty years, seems like a reasonable question. I mean one you have not put in prison.
I know as an average joe, your math skills aint so good.

1.Liu Xiaobo, Peace, 2010
2.Charles K. Kao*, Physics, 2009
3.Roger Y. Tsien*, Chemistry, 2008
4.Gao Xingjian*, Literature, 2000
5.Daniel C. Tsui*, Physics, 1998
6.Steven Chu*, Physics, 1997
7.Yuan T. Lee*, Chemistry, 1986
8.Samuel C. C. Ting*, Physics, 1976
9.Chen Ning Yang*, Physics, 1957
10.Tsung-Dao Lee*, Physics, 1957
List of Nobel laureates by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now where is the 60 years coming from. :rolleyes:

And if you wonder why there are so few of them. I will gladly explain to you.
China was a backward country when the commies took over. After been exploited by many colonial powers among them your own country and decades of war, China was mostly a feudal society. Most of them are peasents who couldnt write their own names.

Now to be able to produce world class scientists, you need world class education system. That takes time.
To provide education to 1,3 billion people is not easy feat.

More history lessons?

average american

I think if you will check none of those people were from China when they earned a Nobel Prize.

The Honorable Sir Charles Kuen Kao, GBM, KBE, FRS, FREng (born 4 November 1933) is a Chinese -born American and British physicist

Roger Yonchien Tsien (born February 1, 1952) is a Chinese American biochemist.

Daniel Chee Tsui is a Chinese -born American physicist

Steven Chu is an American physicist and the 12th United States Secretary of Energy

Yuan Tseh Lee (born November 19, 1936) is a Taiwanese -American chemist.

Samuel Chao Chung Ting (born January 27, 1936) is an American physicist who received the Nobel Prize in 1976,

Chen-Ning Franklin Yang (simplified Chinese: 杨振宁; traditional Chinese: 楊振寧; pinyin: Yáng Zhènníng) (born October 1, 1922)[1] is a Chinese-American physicist

The Honorable Sir Charles Kuen Kao, GBM, KBE, FRS, FREng (born 4 November 1933) is a Chinese -born American and British physicist

More history lessons? Lets see now 8 Chinese either born in US or that emigrated to the US has won Nobel Prizes for medicine, physics or chemistry, but no one in China has won a Nobel prize for medicine, physics or chemistry.. Israel has been in existance for less time then China, only have six million people compared to 1.5 billon chinese and have won ten nobel prizes. Thats right you all did win one Nobel prize,, that guy is still in prison.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
So what? None Chinese see that is the sign of a cold war! Calm down, my friend, will you?
@ no smoking, one more from the Chinese, :rolleyes:

US Pivot to the Asia-Pacific and Its Impact on Regional Security

Zhu Feng
June 25, 2012

Regional security in East Asia is in transition. The United States has recently launched the first wave of its "Obama offensive." From Honolulu to Bali, and from Australia to the Philippines, the United States reasserted its high-profile leadership role of the Asia-Pacific region while vowing to tie China down to the rule of law as a responsible stakeholder. To this end, President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hilary Clinton have coordinated their offensive. They announced the establishment of a new military base at Darwin Port in northern Australia, ushered in the Manila Declaration promising a security guarantee and economic partnership with the Philippines and pushed for a new framework based on multilateral resolution to the South China Sea issue at the East Asia Summit in Bali in an effort to address US concerns over the freedom of navigation. This offensive is obviously grounded in a strategy of persuading and even compelling China through strong US engagement in the region. Despite repeated denials by US government officials of any intention to contain China, the Obama offensive has touched off a media frenzy of "strategic encirclement" of China. It now appears that the US-China relationship might be headed towards the brink of a new Cold War.

full article:
US Pivot to the Asia-Pacific and Its Impact on Regional Security — The Tokyo Foundation

(Zhu Feng is a professor in the School of International Studies and the deputy director of the Center for International and Strategic Studies at Beijing University.)

Center for International and Strategic Studies,Peking University

Last edited:

average american

I just dont see a cold war with China, they dont have any ideology,, to be a world power you need an ideology for people to follow. Communics has an ideology, Islam has an ideology, US has an ideology of liberty, freedom and democracy. Its the US military job to defend the USA from all possible theats, the only potential threat as remote as it might be that is left is China and that potential is years and years away.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I just dont see a cold war with China, they dont have any ideology,, to be a world power you need an ideology for people to follow. Communics has an ideology, Islam has an ideology, US has an ideology of liberty, freedom and democracy. Its the US military job to defend the USA from all possible theats, the only potential threat as remote as it might be that is left is China and that potential is years and years away.
I totally agree with you, a cold war between US and China is simply a joke. To have a cold war, you need two players of the same class, whereas China is still no good match for US. As much as people wish to portray China as the next USSR, they are simply exggerating and distorting the fact about China.

But I have to wonder, despite all the impossibiliy of a cold war between China and US, why are people so fond of fantasizing about it?

Jim Street

Country flag
I think if you will check none of those people were from China when they earned a Nobel Prize.

Roger Yonchien Tsien (born February 1, 1952) is a Chinese American biochemist.

I agree with you But people are becoming skeptical about this prize after seeing Obama getting Noble prize for Peace, :laugh:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I totally agree with you, a cold war between US and China is simply a joke. To have a cold war, you need two players of the same class, whereas China is still no good match for US. As much as people wish to portray China as the next USSR, they are simply exggerating and distorting the fact about China.

But I have to wonder, despite all the impossibiliy of a cold war between China and US, why are people so fond of fantasizing about it?
^^Do you know the Indian story of the two monkeys fighting over a piece of Roti and a cat steals it and runs away? :lol:

average american

I agree with you But people are becoming skeptical about this prize after seeing Obama getting Noble prize for Peace, :laugh:
I can understand that.......I thought it was weird myself.

I think the US and China will be competitors in lot of areas, even military, but I dont see that as bad thing, I expect we will both be stronger for it. I think China is stronger then India today becaue it see the US as a competitor or potential enemy. I think the USA is stronger then China because we seen the USSR as a competitor and potential enemy. As matter of fact there some kind of named theory on that subject I read once. Really there is only two potential competitors to the USA. China and the European Union.

Last edited:

sukhish

companies like walmart and apple will make sure that there is no cold war with china. they have a lot at stake.

average american

companies like walmart and apple will make sure that there is no cold war with china. they have a lot at stake.
US corp are investing about 65 billion a year in China but I would not depend on economics to stop a war. US was selling a lot to Japan then then an embargo the Pearl Harbor.....Ideological change is both the most common cause of conflict and the root of most wars, China does not really have an Ideology, unless it totalitarianism and I dont see China going to war to impose it on some one else and there is not enough fear by the USA to go to war to try and change it. The next is territory and I dont think the USA cares enought about China is wanting to expand to go to war about it, nor does China want to push it to the point that it would cause a war.

Zebra

Country flag
I just dont see a cold war with China,
It's fine. It won't make any difference if you don't see it.

But if the professor of the School of International Studies and the deputy director of the Center for International and Strategic Studies at Beijing University, see it / feel it and say about it too, then it does make a lot more difference.

they dont have any ideology,, to be a world power you need an ideology for people to follow. Communics has an ideology, Islam has an ideology, US has an ideology of liberty, freedom and democracy.
Let's see what wiki says about that.......

The Communist Party of China (CPC), also known as the Chinese Communist Party(CCP), is the founding and ruling political party of the People's Republic of China (PRC). Although nominally it exists alongside the United Front, a coalition of governing political parties, in practice, the CPC is the only party in the PRC, maintaining a unitary government and centralizing the state, military, and media.[3] The legal power of the Communist Party is guaranteed by the national constitution. The current party leader is Hu Jintao, who holds the title of General Secretary of the Central Committee.
Communist Party of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is true the first cold war was based on the ideology.
But does it necessary that now onwards all the future cold war should be or must be based on ideology only?

It can be for arm race, maintain superiority and neutralize the strategic challenges.

Its the US military job to defend the USA from all possible theats, the only potential threat as remote as it might be that is left is China
I said it so many times, one more time, it is a cold war. We are talking about the cold war only.

Please keep in mind the world war was fought by the armies but it was the military industrial complex, who was the winner in it, not the army.

and that potential is years and years away.
Yes, that is true.
May be 10 years or say 15, 20 not more than that.

Zebra

Country flag
I totally agree with you, a cold war between US and China is simply a joke.
If it is just a joke then you have to ask Zhu Feng.

To have a cold war, you need two players of the same class, whereas China is still no good match for US. As much as people wish to portray China as the next USSR, they are simply exggerating and distorting the fact about China.
This world already have those two players, one- whose Secretary of Defense visited a country and second- the host country welcomed him by testing their all new fifth generation fighter aircraft.
They are the two, which we are talking here.

China confirms stealth jet-test flight during Gates' visit - USATODAY.com
China Stealth Jet Upstages Gates, Hu - WSJ.com

The Mod, started this thread on DFI, when he saw the news (already there) in the media.
The news says that the source is 'Voice of Russia'.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles