'Urdu be made compulsory language in UP'

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rowdy, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

ALLAHABAD: It is imperative that the Urdu language be made compulsory in the state for it to be survive the changing times. This opinion was expressed by numerous speakers in a seminar `Urdu and the government's attitude' held at Kareli on Sunday, under the auspices of Urdu Development Organisation.

Zubair Farooqui, senior journalist, said, "The state government has persistently adopted anti-Urdu policy, despite the language being given the status of a second language way back in 1989. None of the ruling parties in the past several years took the step of making the language compulsory.''

"Even the Central government has adopted a dilly-dallying approach in recognising the Urdu language as a regional language, though it has been given the status of the second language in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkhand and Delhi,'' he lamented.

A A Kalim claimed that as the state government does not recognise the institutions imparting education in Urdu language, therefore there is not a single intermediate college where medium of instruction is Urdu.

Earlier, national president of Urdu Development Organisation, Akhtar Churiwala welcomed all the guests. The seminar was conducted by Bakhtiyar Yusuf. Other speakers who spoke on the occasion included Hashim Abdullah, Nasim Ahmad, Mushtaq Aamir, Owais Ahmad, Atiq Ibrahim, Khawaja Javed Akhtar and others.
    @Mad Indian @Rashna @maomao @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @OneGrimPilgrim @PredictablyMalicious
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...nguage-in-UP/articleshow/8915935.cms?from=mdr
    Get ready for Urdu compulsory by Mullah-i-am in 2017 state elections.

3. Rashna

Rashna Senior Member Senior Member

He is smoking something..... College education cannot be in vernacular medium or else be bhil nowt bhi sending da boyz to dhisney phor ovar phiri pass bhaijee.... He is still living in the era of Rajendra kumar singing urdu couplets in his college function.
    I have nothing against urdu, its a nice language but only suited for poetry and artistic eloquence...

4. indiandefencefan

indiandefencefan Regular Member

I definitely don't agree with you on that statement ........ every language deserves to be spoken and urdu is a symbol of cooperation between people of different faiths as the language originated from the interaction between hindu and muslim soldiers in mughal armies.
    Besides the sort of urdu people generally hear in movies is pretty different from actual spoken urdu which today is almost indistinguishable from hindi when spoken.

5. Rashna

He isn't talking about it not being spoken, he wants it to be used in colleges as a medium of instruction which in my opinion is impractical.Colloquially they probably use hindustani...

6. musalman

musalman پاکستان زنده باد

Wow there is not a single intermediate college in Pakistan where medium of instruction is urdu. Urdu medium school are up to 10th grade. Beyond that everything is in angrezeeee

7. Rashna

Yes and average Pakistanis are not that great with urdu which is actually not the mother tongue for majority.

8. musalman

musalman پاکستان زنده باد

No actually Urdu grammar of average Pakistani is very good. It is just the accent.

9. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

Not really, no Urdu back in India.

Get rid of the government which backs such proposal.

Mad Indian, TejasMK3 and jackprince like this.
  10. Rashna

That would be for those who get educated in good schools.... for the rest urdu is a foreign language...Similar to how it is in India....

11. Shirman

Shirman Regular Member

Urdu can be compulsory in U.P. and Bihar but not else were not even Kashmiri Muslims speak it...There are some 1600 un official and 30 odd recognised regional languages in India...Ironically India got regionally divided into states / provinces by linguistic background by a Muslim IAS officer i forgot his name in Nehru’s rule in 50s and 60s......

12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Urdu is essentially the camp language. It has its origins from the Turko-Mongols. Essentially, it is Yurt-u, the obvious reference being a Yurt.
    upload_2015-6-7_2-33-11.jpeg

The term Urdu also has a secondary meaning. It means something that is pleasant to the ears.

This is true. Urdu is useful for shayari and ghazals.

Indians should certainly inculcate and cultivate this language. Let us not smear a language with religious affiliations. Remember, Urdu, as is spoken today, is a mixture of Persian, Hindi, and Turkic languages, with some Arabic loanwords, and is a bridge-language for much of South Asia.

Raja.pakistani and blueblood like this.
  13. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

Meh Urdu is hardly useful and too similar. Learning another language is good though. Teach them German or something.

14. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

sanskrit.....................
    30chars :doh:

brational and Mad Indian like this.
  15. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

What a retarded decision. If anything, only Sanskrit should has any right to be made compulsory in India. Urdu Islamic nutjobs who want Urdu to be compulsory here should go to Pakistan.

These are the instances which prove that Partition was incomplete

16. blueblood

blueblood Senior Member Senior Member

If you are a North Indian Hindi speaker chances are that your grandparents had their school and college education in Urdu/English. Urdu and Punjabi had much larger speaker base than they have today.

And I'll be damned if people try to moronically pass this heritage to Pakis. Urdu belongs to India. The language most Indians speak is not Hindi but Hindustani i.e. both Hindi and Urdu. "Pure or Shuddh" Hindi is partly incomprehensible to your average Indian.

Although making it compulsary is a very stupid move.

I suggest you stick to French & English and let the citizens of India and their government sort out this very domestic issue by ourselves.

@musalman, in India various college degrees like B.com, B.Sc are awarded in Urdu medium. It is particularly useful for Afghan immigrants who have a decent knowledge of Urdu but almost none of English or Hindi and in the backward Muslim areas.

17. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

We should do a public poll on this issue to identify the islamists. It will prove to be useful in a later state when house cleaning is needed and we need to pack the rats supporting this crap to Pakistan and bangladesh

18. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I think we should let him share his opinion. Of course, ultimately, Indian citizens will get to decide, indirectly, via the MPs and MLAs they elect.

I agree with the rest of your post.

19. blueblood

blueblood Senior Member Senior Member

I am not against NRIs, not a teensy bit, take my word for it. But I am against the sheer arrogance and the inability to understand what this country is.

Urdu should never be made compulsory but Urdu belongs to India.

While far more Indians speak Urdu than Pakistanis, more Bangladeshis speak Bengali same goes for Punjabi and Pakistan. I would love their opinions on that.

20. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

Sanskrit is a good option too. Whatever it is, it needs to be taught properly.

21. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

The language IS smeared with religious overtone and by the Muslims themselves. If such a move has been made, there would be wide backlash from Hindus, definitely Muslims will rub it on.

Also, cultivation of some language which doesn't have any practical usage should be let to people who may have interest and totally different issue. The argument proposed was making it compulsory, which no sane Indian can accept. Not only it will damage umpteenth no. of students, it will also create unnecessary social friction.

And, I would say the same about Sanskrit too. If anybody is interested, learn it - but don't force it on others.