UPSC results: 22-year-old topper Tina Dabi picks ‘big paradox’ Haryana as cadre

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Peter, May 12, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

UPSC results: 22-year-old topper Tina Dabi picks ‘big paradox’ Haryana as cadre

http://indianexpress.com/article/ed...i-picks-big-paradox-haryana-as-cadre-2794414/

Twenty-two-year-old Tina Dabi woke up from a nap Tuesday evening and discovered she had topped the Union Public Service Commission’s (UPSC) civil services examination in her very first attempt. The rest of the evening, at the family home in BSNL Colony on Kali Bari Marg near Gole Market in the heart of New Delhi, was taken up by interviews to the press, congratulatory phone calls and visits from friends and family.

“I was sleeping when the results came. I knew they would be out today but there’s usually no particular time. When my phone started buzzing repeatedly, I realised the results had been announced. Since then we have been so busy that I still haven’t had time to actually register what has happened,” Tina said.

Congratulating Tina, Northwest Delhi MP and Dalit leader Udit Raj tweeted, “Napoleon said that without opportunity ability can’t be cultivated. Dalit girl topped IAS & this could not have been possible 40-50 yrs back.”

Tina has opted for the IAS, with Haryana as her cadre preference.

“I opted for Haryana because it presents such an interesting example, where you have a lot of economic progress but when it comes to social indicators you are lagging behind, and that is a very big paradox.”

“What is actually holding Haryana back is its patriarchal mindset and the gender inequality, which is a subject very close to my heart, since I am a woman from a progressive family and have also studied in a college that lays great emphasis on gender equality, so that is something I want to change about the state,” she said.

Born in Bhopal, Tina moved to Delhi with her parents and younger sister when she was in Class VII. She completed her schooling from the Convent of Jesus and Mary, opting for humanities in Class XI, by which time she had also started seriously considering attempting the civil services examination.

Himali Dabi, her mother, trained as an engineer. Father Jaswant Dabi works in the Department of Telecom.

“My parents were the ones who suggested I consider a career in the services. They felt this was something I had a flare for, that I had the requisite qualities required for a bureaucrat, and could master the field. They were the ones who encouraged and guided me to consider it, and when I did some research myself, I realised this is what I wanted to do.”

A graduate in political science from Lady Sri Ram College, Delhi University, Tina spent a year attending coaching for the UPSC examinations, waiting until she reached the eligibility age of 21.

She studied for 8 to 10 hours a day and gives the credit for her success to “strategy and planning”, placing emphasis on “having a schedule, weekly targets, and being disciplined and focused”.

“You feel lonely and you feel depressed because this is such a difficult exam. Other parts of your life become almost non-existent, so patience I think is also key.”

A painter of Madhubani art, a voracious reader, and a “big Jane Austen fan”, Tina gives most of the credit for her results to her mother, saying, “I’ve never seen anyone give up so much, make so many sacrifices, to fulfil my dreams. She is my role model. I’ve never seen anyone more humble, honest, sincere or hard working.”

Mother Himali said: “We are absolutely delighted with the results. We knew she would come in the merit list, but we never ever imagined she would top. As a parent I am very happy she is doing what she wants, that is all that matters. Great results are wonderful but that is not the main focus.I would say let the children do what they enjoy doing. There shouldn’t be any parental pressure on them. We hear of so many children going to places like Kota and being under so much pressure. This should not be the case.”

The youngest member of the Dabi family, Riya, describes her sister as her “hero” and intends to follow in her footsteps. “With her results, I am starting to feel the pressure, but I am very proud of her. She is an inspiration,” said Riya.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also congratulated Tina on Twitter: “Congrats to Delhi girl Tina Dabi, topper of UPSC exam. I wish her a bright career.”

While Tina stood first, the second position was secured by Athar Aamir Ul Shafi Khan from Jammu and Kashmir, and the third position by Jasmeet Singh Sandhu, also a Delhi resident.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. Peter

It is quite a feat that this girl has managed to achieve. If we compare her tale with Rohith Vemula we clearly see that it is hard work alone and not foolish emotional acts that will help the Dalit community.
    Rohith Vemula was an anti national while this girl has instead made the country proud. No awards for guessing whose name and memory will linger on after Rahul maino...oops gandhi becomes PM by exploiting the Dalit/OBC issue and then conveniently forgets about Vemula.

@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @alphacentury @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @Bangalorean @Blackwater @Bornubus @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @guru-dutt @hit&run @Indx TechStyle @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @maomao @Mad Indian @OneGrimPilgrim USER=127]@pmaitra @Razor @raja696 @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @saty @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @Screambowl @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @Sylex21 @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @thethinker @VIP @Vishwarupa @VIP @Varahamihira @roma @sasum @CrYsIs

4. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

There was a news report today that Many Kashmiri youth are getting into service.

Good for them..

OneGrimPilgrim and Peter like this.
  5. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Dalits specially youths would do great service to their community if they stop following lefts propagation of DR Ambedkar views and if they start reading that in fact Dr Ambedkar was capitalistic in view.

parijataka, OneGrimPilgrim and Peter like this.
  6. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

achievement is a later story.... what is more important in this nation is she is a Dalit. :hail:

Bhe****d :mad2: , living in delhi, mother an engineer, father in telecom. Living in one of the bestest areas of country. Gol Market, near CP. Done education in LSR...Dalit my foot!!:mad2:

Ofcourse not her fault, but the system is .. the dalit have become more casteist than any one else. Such a bad example of democracy.

She has done a great work. But those who marked her as dalit etc etc ... I mean shame on these Bastards!!

So this means she will only favour Dalit in bureaucracy? WTF!!

7. anoop_mig25

I know most left have surname which suggest they are upper caste but then there also some dalits that follow left leaning becuase they are blind faithed.IF you see maharistrains dalits/SC scholar/politicsan most of them are left leaning

8. anoop_mig25

Well if Prakash ambedkar if you count him in leading moment in mahrashtra is left leaning intellectuals.ther are more

Also i donot want to discuss about it but fact is SC/ST commnuity has not progressed much because they havent take capitalistic thinking but they have slowly started and result is DICCI.

And it was because Dr Ambedkar economic thinking that he was great supporter of capitalism was never propagated

9. Screambowl

prakash ambedkar is a brahmin ...

ambedkar, prabhaker, salasker, manjreker, gavasker, mangeshker, tendulkar.. all ker ker are brahmins

10. anoop_mig25

Prakash Yashwant Ambedkar is the grandson of Bharat Ratna Dr. B. R. Ambedkar who was born into a poor low Mahar (dalit) caste

Simple google search says so.

So how came Praksah Ambedkar becomes upper caste???

or Mahar are now counted in upper caste

11. Screambowl

his caste says so ........ see I did not know which persoan you were mentioning there are so many P. Ambedkar. ;) ...

If a dalit adopts a brahmin caste then he is NO MORE a DALIT simple as that. He cannot enjoy both ki bc Brahmin bhi hai caste se or shudra ka certificate bhi lekar ghoom rahe hai mharaj!

this is hypocrisy and FRAUDULENT!!

12. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Went to Jesus & Mary and LSR. Parents live in posh area in Delhi but still all we hear is Dalit-2!!

13. anoop_mig25

Well this year they could not find people from low income ground making inti ias who also belongs to any cast but upper caste so her story is begin floated.

there needs to be change in how IAS are selected

suddenly this selection process is too becoming expensive and coaching classes dependent

Screambowl likes this.
  14. Peter

Ghosh is mahisya and a few maybe kayasthas. As for others they are Brahmin. It is not upper/lower caste issue. It has to do with literacy and the ideals of equality that education brings forth in educated men.

15. Peter

I think we should not make too much about her caste identity and instead compare her achievement with that of Rohith. Rahul Gandhi had made a nation wide issue on the Vemula case. Yet he finds no time for Kerela rape victim or congratulating Tina.

16. Peter

Jat bhandami (I hope you understand the term) is prevalent in Bengal too. I personally feel that GOI should take measures to eradicate caste.

17. garg_bharat

garg_bharat Senior Member Senior Member

We must congratulate Tina.

Please stop this caste discussion. We should be very happy that all sections of society are coming up.

We need total integration of Hindu society. In our family, almost all marriages now are inter-caste.

OneGrimPilgrim and Peter like this.
  18. Screambowl

why to eradicate caste? Caste is important , what at most you can do is don't use it. But then it's not caste but Gotra which defines caste.

That remains forever as you should know who your ancestors were.

This is an intellectual subversion by anglo saxon groups who want to destroy the lineage of Indians with the Land of Bharat. And their next step will be they will they will start a debate that Hindus were not a part of Bharat but some other geography.

Whether Muslim, Christian or who so ever many still maintain their caste because by this they prove that they belong to this country originally.

19. garg_bharat

Your knowledge of Hinduism and Vedic religion is quite poor. The fact is just opposite of what you say.

Vedic religion has no caste system whatsoever. Caste originated when people of India forgot "dharm".

Study purified "Manu Smriti" as brought out by Arya Press.

The classes given in Veda IS NOT caste. These are based on achievement of the person.

Pin likes this.
  20. garg_bharat

Caste is a weapon of the ignorant and vile people. Only fools hide behind caste.

Vedic society is structured purely on merit. It has no place for caste.

Bangalorean likes this.
  21. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

AFAIK Babasaheb Ambedkar was asked to change his surname to Ambedkar by his Brahmin school teacher who felt it would make life easier for his brilliant young student...

Navnit Kundu and anoop_mig25 like this.