UPA wins FDI vote

parijataka

Country flag
Apparently Mr Fifteen Percent swung it in Congress favour

Kamal Nath sinks Lotus: Midnight knock on Mayawati's door clinches the deal for Congress on the eve of tough FDI in retail vote

It was Union parliamentary affairs minister Kamal Nath's script which Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati read out in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.

Her announcement that her party will vote against the Opposition-sponsored motion in the Rajya Sabha on FDI in multi-brand retail may have surprised the political class and the media. But Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and finance minister P. Chidambaram have been smug all along on the crucial vote on Friday (today).

They have good reason to be so. Congress sources said that for more than a week, Nath has been quietly working out the party's floor strategy in both Houses with Mayawati and Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav. A Congress victory in the Lok Sabha had not been in doubt, but the party had appeared on shaky ground in the Rajya Sabha.

The parliamentary affairs minister had to work overtime to make sure the government did not trip on the threshold.

"There is no deal with Mayawati. I met her after midnight on Tuesday. I explained well and she understood better," said Nath on the sidelines of "Agenda Aaj Tak 2012", a two-day conclave of Mail Today's sister concern in the Capital.

He added: "At the core of our strategy was to play on the front foot and show the people of the country that the politics

Muslim vote

Nath also gave some sound political advice to the two Uttar Pradesh leaders that helped the Congress to politically isolate the BJP. Both parties, like the Congress, are heavily dependent on the Muslim vote especially in Uttar Pradesh.

Sources said he played the communal card to the hilt and converted the BJP's battle over FDI in multibrand retail into a secular versus saffron issue. Sushma Swaraj's personal attack on Mayawati helped to drive a wedge between the secular and communal camps. Nath, however, downplayed the success of his floor management. Asked how he had been able to get the BSP chief on board, he said he had not got anyone to do anything but had only urged political parties to vote against the politics of BJP.

"I am fully confident that the BJP's politics will be defeated. Congress won in Lok Sabha and we will win in Rajya Sabha as well. Numbers are close but clear," Nath said.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
these company will buy directly from farmers so no middleman.so farmer will get proper amount."¨"¨As i said middleman will suffer, farmers will gain from it.
"¨"¨"©This isn't the truth. Only big quality farmers will gain. Not the small farmers. Farmers will be remained same.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
From my experience as an ex-coldstorage walah I think farmers will not benefit from FDI if they are not made partners into this FDI business. They must become a part of the parcel of FDI or they will be heavily misused.Infrastructure is so poor that farmers have to sell their produce in fear of wastage at minimal prices. Often that price is below MSP. Its just not fair and I can feel it in my gut.
"¨"¨"©Exactly. In my village we bought cauliflower at 5rs/ 20 kg. Best quality.And in local market it's about 10rs/kg. A BIG difference. Many people from India get benifit. When walmart comes, do people think it will sell cauliflower for even 50rs/20kg ?? I don't think so. The profit will go outside. Farmers won't get benifit. Middlemen will loose their some profit. But consumer will get benifit. But a small amount of consumer will get benifit as I don't think poor people will go in walmart and will buy from it. They won't be allowed to enter in walmart."©"©Pros and Cons are there. And Vegetables,farmers aren't alone.Other department will be affected,too. There's a big danger of dumping from china.We saw many local big retailers like Bigbazar didn't affect the small business much but walmart is a different player.

SPIEZ

Country flag
"¨"¨"©Exactly. In my village we bought cauliflower at 5rs/ 20 kg. Best quality.And in local market it's about 10rs/kg. A BIG difference. Many people from India get benifit. When walmart comes, do people think it will sell cauliflower for even 50rs/20kg ?? I don't think so. The profit will go outside. Farmers won't get benifit. Middlemen will loose their some profit. But consumer will get benifit. But a small amount of consumer will get benifit as I don't think poor people will go in walmart and will buy from it. They won't be allowed to enter in walmart."©"©Pros and Cons are there. And Vegetables,farmers aren't alone.Other department will be affected,too. There's a big danger of dumping from china.We saw many local big retailers like Bigbazar didn't affect the small business much but walmart is a different player.
These retailers buuy the farm products at a pre determined price. The predetermined price depends on the sale of the product in the last quater or so.

Plus the difference in price also comes due to transportation of the goods.

Retailers will definitely eradicate middle men, this will mean a large sum of profits will go towards the farmers instead.

blank_quest

Country flag
These retailers buuy the farm products at a pre determined price. The predetermined price depends on the sale of the product in the last quater or so.

Retailers will definitely eradicate middle men, this will mean a large sum of profits will go towards the farmers instead.
Not so true :(

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

Do you think walmart will pay farmers more than middlemen ?? I don't think so. Let's assume they'll pay but not to all but big farmers.Walmart needs bulk and small farmers who can't afford managing big crops won't get a sh!t. And it's totally not wise to assume that walmart will buy directly from farmers, I think APMC markets will get the deals from walmart. And you're not getting my example. I seriously experienced that big price difference. 5rs/ 20kg and 10rs/kg. Walmart will eat a lot of profit, agreed that govt will get good amount of tax but the people who relied on the chain will be affected surely.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
naa yarr, common man will get, cheap and more variety,

sarvanash ho gaya middleman aur dalal ka
They're not doing any crime. And you forgot the people who're involved in "small transport business". Many real poor people earn money by working in markets. Walmart has a history of killing competitors brutally in US.

sukhish

Let's see if NDA and BJP run the next lok sabha elections on reversing FDI in retail decision.

Blackwater

They're not doing any crime. And you forgot the people who're involved in "small transport business". Many real poor people earn money by working in markets. Walmart has a history of killing competitors brutally in US.
does poor people get life in india, ?????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::sad::sad:

SPIEZ

Country flag
Do you think walmart will pay farmers more than middlemen ?? I don't think so. Let's assume they'll pay but not to all but big farmers.Walmart needs bulk and small farmers who can't afford managing big crops won't get a sh!t. And it's totally not wise to assume that walmart will buy directly from farmers, I think APMC markets will get the deals from walmart. And you're not getting my example. I seriously experienced that big price difference. 5rs/ 20kg and 10rs/kg. Walmart will eat a lot of profit, agreed that govt will get good amount of tax but the people who relied on the chain will be affected surely.

The idea behind retailers is that they directly buy from the Farmers. Hence they middlemen will not enter the picture.
I never said they will get the same amount as the middlemen. But since the middle men are out of the picture, the farmers stand to gain more money.

The prices in your village is cheap because, for one thing that is must be the whole sale price. Secondly as I had already stated, there is the transportation cost as well. Since agriculture is sparse or non existing in larger metro's, farm produce have to be transported over long distances. Also, this would include the price cost for those small traders, who also have to meet their profits.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
The idea behind retailers is that they directly buy from the Farmers. Hence they middlemen will not enter the picture. "¨I never said they will get the same amount as the middlemen. But since the middle men are out of the picture, the farmers stand to gain more money."¨"¨The prices in your village is cheap because, for one thing that is must be the whole sale price. Secondly as I had already stated, there is the transportation cost as well. Since agriculture is sparse or non existing in larger metro's, farm produce have to be transported over long distances. Also, this would include the price cost for those small traders, who also have to meet their profits.
"¨"¨"©I'm not talking about whole sale. I was talking about buying directly from farmer. That farmer was giving that cauliflower to feed his cattles. Best quality. That middlemen profit will be eaten by walmart. Look, I'm not against FDI in retail. I'm just saying that farmers won't get much benifit,especially small farmers.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How many States have accepted FDI?

Anyone knows?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Can someone explain as to why SP and BSP shouted to the rooftops that FDI is no good and yet ensured that FDI is passed.

My point is that if it was not good for the country and yet they ensured the Bill is passed, is it not their moral duty to accept it for their own State?

Why should they act as Dogs in the Manger, by allowing it to be passed and hence giving a knotty problem for others, when they themselves will not allow it in their States.

I say 'knotty problems for others' is because states like Odisha are not for FDI in retail in their State, but it will affect them since the MNCs may source the products from Odisha for AP, where it is to be allowed and hence put Odisha's procurement policy and market in jeopardy, pushing rates high in Odisha.

Likewise for Bengal, since Assam is for FDI and Bengal isn't.

Blackwater

Can someone explain as to why SP and BSP shouted to the rooftops that FDI is no good and yet ensured that FDI is passed.

My point is that if it was not good for the country and yet they ensured the Bill is passed, is it not their moral duty to accept it for their own State?

Why should they act as Dogs in the Manger, by allowing it to be passed and hence giving a knotty problem for others, when they themselves will not allow it in their States.

I say 'knotty problems for others' is because states like Odisha are not for FDI in retail in their State, but it will affect them since the MNCs may source the products from Odisha for AP, where it is to be allowed and hence put Odisha's procurement policy and market in jeopardy, pushing rates high in Odisha.

Likewise for Bengal, since Assam is for FDI and Bengal isn't.

sir ray. apni janta ko ullu to bhi banana ha.

in lieu of absent from voting SP and BSP received $$$$+ waive of all CBI cases against them

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am very worried what is in store for the country.

Communalism, pseudo secularism, vote bank, corruption, CBI an alleged puppet on a string, Sec 66a, unscrupulous politics and voting in a cavalier manner, CAG and other constitutional bodies lampooned by the very politicians and very party that gave us our Constitution, corporate ruling the roost, crocodile tears for the mango men, weakened defence forces and that whole confusion adds on.

And a new party emerges over popular discontent and the established parties and their media men scares us that they are fascists and who knows.

Money laundering and crony capitalism exposed,and men turn blind and add to the confusion by justifying that the every political party and politicians are but birds of the same feather flocking together and so none can complain!

So, even the mango men must not complain!

Scary!

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles