UPA wins FDI vote

blank_quest

Country flag
FDI is not going to change India's hunger for Money. Allow Gambling in India and Tax it heavily and see what magic happens. :D

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Expecting Walmart in my city......:troll:

Iamanidiot

I think all these reliance fresh ,more ,spencers etc etc will sell a part of their holding share to foreign players

parijataka

Country flag
naa yarr, common man will get, cheap and more variety,

sarvanash ho gaya middleman aur dalal ka
Blackwater paa ji, AFAIK it is not only baniyas who might be affected but small scale industry also. Initially there was a provision of 30% of goods to be sourced from local small and medium industry - later it was changed surrepitiously to 30% goods to be sourced from SME's i.e. can be from anywhere in the world. Fresh produce makes up small portion of items sold in Tesco or Walmart rest will all be finished goods that are sold at MRP so where is the question of middle man.

Only time will tell how this goes.

Blackwater

Blackwater paa ji, AFAIK it is not only baniyas who might be affected but small scale industry also. Initially there was a provision of 30% of goods to be sourced from local small and medium industry - later it was changed surrepitiously to 30% goods to be sourced from SME's i.e. can be from anywhere in the world. Fresh produce makes up small portion of items sold in Tesco or Walmart rest will all be finished goods that are sold at MRP so where is the question of middle man.

Only time will tell how this goes.

u forget jobs created

blank_quest

Country flag
From my experience as an ex-coldstorage walah I think farmers will not benefit from FDI if they are not made partners into this FDI business. They must become a part of the parcel of FDI or they will be heavily misused.Infrastructure is so poor that farmers have to sell their produce in fear of wastage at minimal prices. Often that price is below MSP. Its just not fair and I can feel it in my gut.

Reactions: VIP

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Ok who wants Coca Cola and Pepsi to be chased out of India ......... not to mention various foreign companies.

blank_quest

Country flag
Ok who wants Coca Cola and Pepsi to be chased out of India ......... not to mention various foreign companies.
Coke is not taking away the Milk Business of farmers and retailers :D. Even Amul is heavily dependent on Milk Walah's. But Amul can't just loot the farmers and coerce them as it is a co-operative society and NOT working for Sole "Profit" like that of business houses.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
FDI is only for ultra pultra altra ( upa ) rich Metros not for our country side towns... :D
Few years back my dehat place lacked Showrooms and good roads but we moved on :nod:

Iamanidiot

Yaa, first step should have been FDI in Infrastructure and NOT in retail. Bloody lobby Politics. Politicians will have free lunch for years now.
I think this FDI in retail is a mechanism to get investment into all of existing retail chains.Just look at how Pantaloons share price rose.

parijataka

Country flag
Yaa, first step should have been FDI in Infrastructure and NOT in retail. Bloody lobby Politics. Politicians will have free lunch for years now.

@blank_quest - I read that to open one cold storage facility one needs 27 permits and 2 more to transport farm produce across states. Is that right ?

Last edited by a moderator:

parijataka

Country flag
I think this FDI in retail is a mechanism to get investment into all of existing retail chains.Just look at how Pantaloons share price rose.
Well spotted! All the local players in retail are making losses and infusion of FDI might help. Similar seems to hv been the reason to allow FDI in airline industry - to infuse capital to local airlines

blank_quest

Country flag
FDI has limits of minimum capital investment. That is high and so who so ever will invest in Indian Retail market will think of long term profit and not for "social service". India should have invited 100% FDI in Infrastructure under BOT and provided subsidies to common man for using "quality" Infrastructure.That would keep the "access" to "quality" infrastructure "within reach and low cost" for common man ( aam aadmi ). That would itself make people demand better services. Business houses will see profits and Govt will see social/welfare causes. Govt. can't just burden Social Welfare on Pvt. companies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles