UP villagers prefer open fields, raze Swachh loos

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by PredictablyMalicious, Jan 18, 2016.

1. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

BAREILLY:Used to the "comfortable fields", 90 families quietly demolished the toilets inside their house that was built under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (SBA), preferring to go back to defecating in the open. Authorities, who sent notices to these "defaulters", reckon there may be many more in India's rural and semi-urban belts doing this, unable to break decades of habit. A bunch of

others had removed the toilet seat and converted the space into a small store room.

Building toilets in rural India was one of the major promises Prime Minister Narendra Modi had made during his Independence Day speech last year.

The government has since moved fast on this and now claims to have constructed lakhs of toilets in India's countryside.

But if the Bareillly experience, probably the first such incident of its kind that has come to light, is any indication, there is a tough job ahead for India's Swachh campaigners. According to a World Health Organisation and UNICEF report of 2014, already 82% of the 1 billion people practising open defecation in the world live in India. With 597 million, India holds the top slot, leaving the number 2 in this dubious list, Indonesia (54 million), far behind. Pakistan (41 million), Nigeria (39 million) and Ethiopia (34 million) take up the third, fourth and fifth places.

[​IMG]

The Bareilly revelation happened after a resident of Alampur Zafrabad block here complained to officials that several fellow villagers in whose house toilets were built by district authorities from government funds had brought them down on some pretext or the other.

Alarmed at this, senior administration staff, including the district panchayat raj officer (DPRO) and district development officer (DDO), immediately ordered an inquiry. It was during the course of investigation that shocked officials realised house after house had done away with the toilets.

"When we sought to know why the families had done this, they came up with weird excuses," said an officer. "One of the residents said that as there wasn't enough living area in the house, they thought it fit to add extra space by removing the toilet. Others said the presence of a toilet in an already cramped house stopped their children from playing."

One of the "defaulters", though, was candid enough to admit that elders and children were used to defecating in the open and found it "uncomfortable" to ease themselves in "unnatural surroundings". The toilets, constructed at a cost of Rs 12,000 each, were entirely funded by the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.

TC Pandey, the DPRO here, was angry this had happened under his watch. "In the last financial year, more than 12,000 toilets were constructed in the district from government funds. And this is what these people do, even after they weren't asked to shell out a single rupee," he said. "We have issued notices to them and asked for an explanation within 15 days. If they don't have a proper answer, we will recover Rs 12,000 from each of them."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...lds-raze-Swachh-loos/articleshow/50582495.cms

3. HariPrasad-1

HariPrasad-1 Senior Member Senior Member

Publicity stunt. Black list them for any future help of any government scheme.

maomao likes this.
  4. indiatester

indiatester Regular Member

Well defecation in fields ensures that we don't have to be bothered about polluting our water bodies with sewage and also water wastage.
    Count me as a not complete supporter of toilets.

saty likes this.
  5. punjab47

punjab47 महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट Banned

Why give western toilets when they are known to cause chrone disease among others. Also no one but goras likes using them.

Of course, I understand screwed up inferior complex thinking of today's Indians. Anything western is superior so:

Give squat toilet : stupid cheap feku modi.

Give western : abbe bikar hai, England Mei vadiya hai.

Go to west: Wtf. Did I leave? Wtf is this place, Vande Mataram, take me back. ;(

6. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Who said they were given western toilets?

7. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

"When we sought to know why the families had done this, they came up with weird excuses," said an officer.

This officer thinks that all these reasons are "weird" because probably he has never lived in a village and doesn't understand the simple fact that not everyone thinks like him.

8. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

:rofl: :rofl: :laugh: :laugh:

These bhaiyas don't care, they do the same thing when they come to other states, no offence but the areas where they live here in Gujarat are complete shit holes. Not trying to generalize but the bhaiyas who come here actually are dirty. I'm sure not every UPian is same like the one who comes here.

rohit.gr77, jackprince and prateikf like this.
  9. TheRenegades

TheRenegades Regular Member

These people don't realize that the government has their Aadhar numbers. It would be easier for the government agencies to block their subsidies.

10. PredictablyMalicious

This is not a UP problem. It's an India problem. It's getting more embarrassing each day to call yourself an Indian.

11. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

It is good that you are not generalizing. The term "Bhaiya" is a pejorative for people of Bihar and UP. Using such pejoratives is not the best way to unify India, just so that you know. This is not expected from someone who has batted for Modi, the "India first" guy, all throughout. I have lived in Bihar. Believe me, not everyone defaecates in the open. This is also true for UP. I think you agree with this, since you said you do not want to generalize.

Well, they are going to recover the money, and that is a good step. I see in the report that the toilets were built in the house. Many people do not appreciate the toilet in the house, as it is seen as a source of negative energy. I remember, my grandmother's house had a nice toilet, with everything you need in it, but it was a separate room, about a 100 metres from the house. Perhaps that is something one should consider if we are to persuade villagers to use toilets.

It is an India problem in the sense we all have to work together to resolve this. The problem itself is with some Indians, not all, just so that you know.

12. PredictablyMalicious

Earlier, Indians were known to be good, hard working people. Sure, everyone knew India was dirt poor and Indians didn't command much respect but it was better than the situation now in some ways. Now, Indians are known as rapists and primitive people who shit in the streets. :(

prateikf likes this.
  13. PredictablyMalicious

Those "some" Indians are 597 million Indians lmao.

14. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Can sonebody tell me how they arrive at these numbers?

Do they go house-to-house and check or do they give forms for people to fill out etc?

15. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

I'm glad that you got my point. I'm only describing the situation in other states and obviously we can't differentiate who's from UP or from Bihar so I used the common term bhaiyas. The problem is, such piece of news strengthens the beliefs of other common people. Out of 12000, it's a very small number who did the opposite but common people generalize very rapidly.

16. punjab47

punjab47 महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट Banned

Yes, and you don't remember the articles about random Chinese environmental disaster 10 years ago? Or drunk Russians 10 before that.

It's meant to segregate & ostracize a group that presents a threat to western power structure.

Your problem is, it seems you're Punjabi kid who lives in Vancouver & believes in gora myth. Not realizing you're just a terrorist asset they wave around every once in awhile.

This is what goras are really like : your mind is colonized. Good thing you're a mona

[​IMG]

You're an sjw/fag slap yourself out of it.

17. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

IIT Kharagpur tried to run similar program in Midnapur (West Bengal) in around 2002 and received similar cold response. People simply refused to use the toilets which they considered "filthy". It is also true that people who are habituated to "open defecation" find it hard to relieve themselves in toilet, the "stuff" simply refuses to move out.

Open Defecation is a Cultural problem. I have met people who find it hard to switch from Squat Toilets to Western Style Toilets.

18. indiatester

indiatester Regular Member

I know folks who carry mugs for "their business" during short term trips abroad :lol:

19. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

This story has to be taken with a pinch of salt. In Bengal we mostly prefer toilets rather than open defecation. The residents of Nadia are famous for not practicing open defecation.

20. sasum

sasum Atheist but not Communists. Senior Member

This is true of entire India except perhaps N. East. There are prosperous city-villages in NCR where wealthy Jats have constructed opulent mansions but their toilets are not used for defecating, mostly used for store-rooms, are stuffed with assorted items like logs, news papers, old vehicle parts etc.

21. sasum

sasum Atheist but not Communists. Senior Member

I don't agree. In 2008, I visited Barrackpore (24 pargonas) on some relative's marriage. My relatives r UPites. They use western commodes, but from their attic one could see scores of men/ children defecating in the open fields, vacant plots..nearby.