Untouchabilty alive and kicking in India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Aug 3, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Untouchabilty alive and kicking in India
    Shobha John, TNN 3 August 2009, 02:57am IST

More than 60 years after Independence, untouchability is alive and thriving in India’s hinterlands. Pockets of social change have been but mere drops in an ocean of casteism and prejudice. This was borne out in a survey by National Law School, Bangalore, which was reported recently. Following this, TOI correspondents did a reality check in eight states across India.

Dalits are still segregated with little access to temples, water sources and upper caste areas. And ironically, even in Radhanagar in Hooghly district, the birthplace of social reformer Raja Ram Mohan Roy, there are separate crematoria for Brahmins and non-Brahmins. And in a bizarre case in Waganagere village in Gulbarga district of Karnataka, 120 Dalit households were forced to draw water from their well even after a dog fell in and died. During festivities, not only are they served food separately, but they have to bring their own plates and tumblers. Gulbarga, incidentally, has 126 cases registered under the SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act 1989 and the Protection of Civil Rights Act 1955, the highest in Karnataka.

In UP, almost every village has a chamar toli, a place segregated for them. Dalit children are made to sit separately in schools. In Malasa village in Kanpur Dehat, though the post of gram pradhan was reserved for scheduled castes, it has been lying vacant as no Dalit has the courage to contest the election, fearing backlash from the dominant Thakurs. And when they do, as two Dalits did last year, their candidature was rejected because no one, not even Dalits, seconded them during the filing of nomination papers. Uniquely in UP, untouchability is practised by Dalits too.

In Rajasthan’s Dholeria Shashan village near Pali, newcomers are interrogated and if they are scheduled castes, entry is tough. They also cannot pass upper caste houses wearing footwear or headgear, says poet and writer Vinod Vithall.

Segregation is also blighting the next generation. In Rajpur tehsil, 60 km from Kanpur, Thakurs withdrew their children from a primary school after a Dalit cook was employed to prepare mid-day meals.
    D Shyam Babu, senior fellow, Rajiv Gandhi Foundation, says authorities often turn a blind eye to caste atrocities. Acts which protect the lower castes aren’t implemented either. The National Commission for Scheduled Castes in Chandigarh admitted that it receives 3-4 complaints daily. Ajmer district police reportedly has recorded 360 cases pertaining to SCs/STs over the last 18 months. In UP, over two dozen such cases were filed in the last six months.

But Dalits have now started asserting themselves. ‘‘In Tamil Nadu, upper castes are now at the receiving end after two decades of virulent clashes. In Punjab, thanks to the Green Revolution and prosperity, most Dalits have a good lifestyle,’’ says Balwinder Singh Sidhu, a government official, though there are pockets of discrimination.

Individuals have made a difference too. Tamil Nadu inspector general Pratheep V Philip has started a social justice tea party where the police provides tea to villagers and counsels them against discriminating Dalits. Two months back in Alwar, a Brahmin invited Dalits to his daughters wedding. In rural Bengal, says social scientist Amal Mukhopadhyay, inter-caste marriages too are taking place.

So will B R Ambedkar’s dream of an India where untouchables are not a sub-division of Hindus, but a separate and distinct element in the national life fructify?

Untouchabilty alive and kicking in India - India - NEWS - The Times of India

3. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

All these issues are leading to conversion to other religions and on both sides these people are on ends . If they convert then its an issues and they cant even live like this with the mark of untouchablity.

4. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Cooks fired: BDO

Giridih: Two women were on Wednesday removed from their duty of cooking midday meals in a Giridih school of Jharkhand for allegedly inciting casteism among children, a senior government official said.

“Lakhia Devi and Meena Devi were removed after one of them expressed reservation about a boy on caste grounds. The action was taken after an inquiry was made into the incident,” Gandey Block Development Officer Surendra Sharma told newsmen here.

“Despite the headmaster asking the boy to serve meals on July 29, these women made some objectionable remarks.

However, all the children ate their food ignoring the remarks,” the BDO added. - PTI

The Hindu : Other States / Jharkand News : Cooks fired: BDO

5. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Dalit tonsured, paraded for dialling wrong number
    Swati Sethi, TNN 27 August 2009, 01:59am IST

BHIWANI: A Dalit youth was beaten, tonsured and paraded through the streets in a Haryana village — for dialling a wrong number. Narrating his ordeal to the police on Wednesday, Suresh, a resident of Dani Ramjas in Bhiwani district, said, ‘‘I was trying the telephone number of one of my acquaintances on Monday when I inadvertently dialled the number of Dharam Singh (another villager). The moment I realized my mistake, I apologized immediately and disconnected the phone.’’

The apology, however, did not help. ‘‘On Tuesday, Dharam and his friends, numbering six, humiliated me publicly when I was on my way to Siwani town. They tonsured me after lifting and carrying me away bodily. That done, they tied me to a motorcycle and paraded me through the streets, thrashing me intermittently,’’ Suresh said.

Not stopping at that, his tormentors threatened him with dire consequences if he reported the matter to police, he said. The police are yet to register a case though the Dalits have demanded action against the perpetrators.

Dalit tonsured, paraded for dialling wrong number - India - NEWS - The Times of India

6. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Dalit tonsured, paraded for dialling wrong number
    Swati Sethi, TNN 27 August 2009, 01:59am IST

BHIWANI: A Dalit youth was beaten, tonsured and paraded through the streets in a Haryana village — for dialling a wrong number. Narrating his ordeal to the police on Wednesday, Suresh, a resident of Dani Ramjas in Bhiwani district, said, ‘‘I was trying the telephone number of one of my acquaintances on Monday when I inadvertently dialled the number of Dharam Singh (another villager). The moment I realized my mistake, I apologized immediately and disconnected the phone.’’

The apology, however, did not help. ‘‘On Tuesday, Dharam and his friends, numbering six, humiliated me publicly when I was on my way to Siwani town. They tonsured me after lifting and carrying me away bodily. That done, they tied me to a motorcycle and paraded me through the streets, thrashing me intermittently,’’ Suresh said.

Not stopping at that, his tormentors threatened him with dire consequences if he reported the matter to police, he said. The police are yet to register a case though the Dalits have demanded action against the perpetrators.

Dalit tonsured, paraded for dialling wrong number - India - NEWS - The Times of India

7. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Dalits barred from entering temple here
    TNN 1 September 2009, 10:25pm IST

BELLARY: Untouchability is prevalent in many parts of the country and Dharmasagara village near Hospet taluk is no exception. Here, people from upper castes have forbidden the dalits from entering into temples.

The issue came to the fore when working president of Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha, Koddihalli Chandrashekhar, attended a function on a temple premises recently.

When the farmer leader asked one of the farmers to get into the temple, the latter did not budge. Realizing what could have stopped him, Chandrashekhar told him: "We are all one... there is no discrimination on the grounds of caste and creed. (Social reformer) Basavanna has taught us that in the 12th century itself."

The village has six temples 80 houses belonging to dalits while its population is around 5,000. However, the dalits are allowed to enter hotels and saloons.

Jambanna, a dalit, said: "We have not been allowed to enter into since many years. We have not tried to enter either."

Dalits barred from entering temple here - Hubli - City - NEWS - The Times of India

8. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Disgusting. The people who engage in such archaic and cruel acts ought to be embarrassed in public and their "faith" ought to be ridiculed.

9. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Dalit body demands arrest of three Rajput men for rape

The Centre for Dalit Rights has demanded immediate arrest of three persons belonging to the dominant Rajput community who have been accused of raping a college-going Dalit girl while she was returning from the Independence Day function to her village at Neem Ka Thana in Sikar district of Rajasthan on August 15.

The local Dalit community has organised a series of demonstrations, meetings and dharnas in the region during the past week to protest against the failure of police to nab the culprits despite the FIR naming them. The accused, who were earlier roaming freely in the village, are now reportedly absconding.

A CDR fact-finding team, which visited Neem Ka Thana and the victim’s native village, Narsinghpuri, over the week-end, discovered that the perpetrators of the crime – who allegedly enjoyed political support – had terrorised the local residents and the police was reluctant to take action against them.

“There is every possibility that that the matter would be hushed up under the political pressure and the Dalit girl would be deprived of justice,” said CDR chief patron and Supreme Court lawyer P.L. Mimroth in a memorandum submitted to Director-General of Police Harish Chandra Meena.

The three accused – identified by the 20-year-old victim as Bharat Singh, Gopi Chand and Moti Singh – waylaid her when she was returning from the Government Kamla Modi College at Neem Ka Thana to her village after attending the Independence Day function. They allegedly took her to a hut near a well in a nearby field and gang-raped her.

Following the registration of the FIR, the victim’s statement under Sec. 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code were recorded before a Judicial Magistrate on Friday, while the police were waiting for the Forensic Science Laboratory report after her medical examination.

Mr. Mimroth pointed out that the powerful miscreants of dominant communities had earlier intimidated and sexually abused several young and minor girls in the region, but the police had always failed to take action in these cases: “In the instant matter, the administration has not paid the mandatory compensation under the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, to the victim.”

The CDR demanded that the alleged offenders be arrested without delay and the Dalits in the backward region of Sikar district be provided with safety and protection in view of the fact that the dominant castes do not allow them to raise their voice against injustice and discrimination.

The Hindu : States / Other States : Dalit body demands arrest of three Rajput men for rape

10. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

56 Dalit families facing eviction
    R. Arivanantham

Fifty-six Dalit families living on 0.56 cents in Sengodipuram colony here are facing eviction after six decades. These families were settled in 1948 in the colony, established by the late Communist leader Jeevanantham. Though it was spread over 4.78 acres, patta was given for 4.23 acres to the Cosmopolitan Club and other communities. The Dalits have been denied patta all these years.

A resolution was passed at the Dharmapuri Municipality Council meeting on July 27 to evict the Dalit families with the help of the district administration. The move was opposed by the Communist councillors.

P. Dillibabu, Harur M.L.A. and District Secretary of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) told The Hindu on Wednesday that the Municipal Council’s resolution was against the Government Order which ensured patta to those living on government land for more than 5 or 10 years. It was also against the Constitutionally guaranteed right to life.

He urged the State government to stop the eviction move and take steps to issue patta to the Dalit families immediately. Mr. Babu accused the municipality of being indifferent to the Dalit families and favouring caste-Hindu families, the Cosmopolitan Club and Indian Medical Association building in the area.

Many of the caste-Hindu families are paying only 0.12 paise as tax for using the land from 1954. Instead of raising the income through restructuring its tax structure the municipality was evicting the poor people with ‘ulterior and political motives,’ Mr. Babu charged.

To oppose the Municipality’s move and secure the rights of the Dalit families, the CPI(M) planned agitations in front of the Municipality from September 8 to 15.

N. Varadarajan, State secretary of the party, K. Balabharathy, Legislature Party Leader, S.K. Mahendran, M.L.A. Perambur, G. Latha, M.L.A. Gudiyatham and other leaders are participating in the agitation.

A decision to this effect was announced by Mr. Dillibabu, after the party’s district committee meeting here.

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : 56 Dalit families facing eviction

11. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

History tells us that a nation derives it's political/economical/Military strength from the ethical/moral strength of the groups/individuals dwelling it's land, and from the mature society formed by them. British could build a great empire because of their social system which produced great soldiers and leaders, whose integrity could not be questioned, while they managed to produce many traitors/backstabbers in enemy camps. As long as an Indian cannot treat fellow countryman with dignity, and our society cannot find a way out of our rigid caste system, our dream of getting respectable position as a [Sovereign State] will remain a distant dream.

PS: Today is my "Philosophy Day".

12. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Police invoke stringent NH Act against Dalit activists
    IP Singh, TNN 6 September 2009, 04:49am IST

JALANDHAR: Agitators taking to the streets to register their protests will be forced to think twice before letting their anger spill into the open.

In a pathbreaking decision that is likely to change the course of protestations in a state often left paralyzed with traffic blockades, Punjab police invoked Section 8 B of National Highways Act, 1956 - a stringent, non-bailable provision - in a recent case. This, according to officials, is the first time as far as they remember that the statute has been slapped against protesters, who earlier used to be booked under mild clauses of law.

The development came around when Sri Guru Ravidass Dharam Yudh Morcha activists took out a procession in Kartarpur on September 1 to demand the arrest of SAD councillor Balbir Singh Bittu, booked for allegedly killing Dalit youth Vijay Kumar in Dhilwan village during post-Vienna violence. While Bittu said he fired because a mob had attacked his house, angry agitators claimed the act was unprovoked.

"Morcha convener Satish Bharti, eight identified people and a horde of others have been booked under the said section that can lead to a sentence of up to five years in prison along with fine," said SSP RK Jaiswal, adding, "such a case is non-bailable and in future, too, police will act tough against any group resorting to blocking of NHs. Other sections said to be added to the FIR were 160, 189 and 283 of IPC.

Meanwhile, a delegation of Morcha leaders reportedly met DGP PS Gill to press for the arrest of Bittu and also protest the registration of a case against agitators. "We also met Punjab State Human Rights Commission and state SC/ST Commission to highlight the Dhilwan case. Police registered a false case against us as the procession only passed through GT Road and it did not block traffic on NH," said Bharti, adding, "even as supporters of Bittu had blocked NH for an hour on August 7, police did not book them."

To buttress the charge brought upon agitators, Kartarpur SHO Surinder Pal said, "We have videographic evidence to prove that a dharna had blocked traffic in Kartarpur despite police warning against it."

Police invoke stringent NH Act against Dalit activists - Chandigarh - City - NEWS - The Times of India

13. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

PM shocked over low conviction rate of cases under SC/ST Act

Expressing shock over less than 30 per cent conviction rate for cases of atrocities against SCs and STs, the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday asked State Governments to give more attention to the issue and said court cases related to such matters should be “pursued on priority”.

“Reports of atrocities against SCs, STs and senior citizens continue to appear with disturbing regularity. I have in fact written to the Chief Ministers of all states recently to enforce the provisions of the SCs and STs (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

“It is shocking that conviction rate for cases of atrocities against SCs and STs is less than 30 per cent against the average of 42 per cent for all cognisable offences under IPC. The state governments need to give more attention to this issue,” he said inaugurating a conference of state ministers of welfare and social justice here.

Dr. Singh told them to conduct meetings of state and district level vigilance committees on a regular basis and said that court cases should be pursued on priority.

Focussing on the need to change the general mindset towards disadvantaged groups, the Prime Minister said such people should be made equal partners in the developmental processes.

“We propose to amend the Persons with Disabilities Act in consultation with states so as to bring it in line with the UN Convention (on Rights of Persons with Disabilities),” he said.

Referring to the drought like situation prevailing in many parts of the country, Singh said, "the experience has been that weaker sections tend to be the worst affected by such natural calamities.

"We, therefore, need to step up monitoring and implementation of welfare schemes like NREGA, Annapurna and Old Age Pension Scheme, which target the weaker sections."

He said the government plans to take up a new scheme from this year on a pilot basis namely, 'Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana' for integrated development of 1,000 villages, each having more than 50 per cent SC population.

The scheme aims at implementation of various development projects in these villages, with an additional fund of Rs 10 lakh per village to meet those requirements that cannot be met from existing schemes, he said, adding that if the pilot scheme is successful, then it could be expanded.

On the mobility problems faced by disabled persons, the Prime Minister said educational and healthcare institutions, government offices and banks, should be made more accessible.

"Small steps like ramps... actually go a long way in this direction," he said.

Dr. Singh called on the Ministry of Communications and IT to promote development of user friendly software in all Indian languages.

"Our websites need to be more user friendly for disabled people and I am happy that the ministry for social justice has made a beginning in this regard. The National Institute of Design should be urged to encourage the design of everyday appliances and instruments that cater to people with various disabilities," he said.

With the economy emerging from its slowdown phase, the Prime Minister urged the corporate sector to "respond handsomely" to the scheme to promote employment of disabled persons in the private sector.

Referring to the self-employment scheme for rehabilitation of manual scavengers, a programme run by the ministry for social justice, he said, "I am told that more than half of the identified beneficiaries under the scheme are yet to be rehabilitated.

"States should be more proactive in implementing scholarships and hostel schemes for SCs, STs and OBCs."

He said disability certificates should be issued within a month of the date of application.

Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said focus of 11th Plan is on inclusive growth and both the Centre and the states should work together to achieve the objective of helping socially disadvantaged groups.

"In the Planning Commission, we have been implementing the SC sub-plan and are engaged with other ministries to ensure its implementation," he said.

Noting that the compliance of states was "not satisfactory", he said the Commission has written to Chief Ministers that their annual plans would be cleared only if they implement the SC sub-plan properly.

Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik said effectiveness of ongoing schemes must be enhanced and there should be a strategic partnership with civil society, industry and the government to provide social justice.

The Hindu : News / National : PM shocked over low conviction rate of cases under SC/ST Act

14. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Integrated development for 1,000 SC-dominant villages
    Special Correspondent

The Centre will launch a new scheme for integrated development of 1,000 villages, each with more than 50 per cent of Scheduled Caste population, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced on Monday. The Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana would be taken up on a pilot basis. It aimed at convergent implementation of various development schemes there, with an additional provision of Rs. 10 lakh per village for those requirements which could not be met from the existing schemes. “If the pilot scheme is successful we hope to be able to expand it,” Dr. Singh said inaugurating the annual conference of State Ministers of Welfare/Social Justice here.

Simplified procedures
    Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik said the government proposed to simplify the certification procedure for persons with disabilities. The Ministry would soon develop a fully accessible website.

Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said the 11th Plan focus was on inclusive growth and both the Centre and States should work together to help socially disadvantaged groups.

Noting that the States’ compliance with implementing the SC sub-plan was “not satisfactory,” he said the Commission had written to Chief Ministers that their annual plans would be cleared only if they implemented it properly.

The Hindu : News / National : Integrated development for 1,000 SC-dominant villages

15. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Atrocities on SC/STs disturbing: Manmohan

Disturbed at reports of continuing atrocities against the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes and senior citizens, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday asked the States to vigorously enforce the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

The States needed to give more attention to this issue. The meetings of State and district vigilance and monitoring committees should be held regularly, and court cases pursued diligently and on priority basis, Dr. Singh said here, inaugurating a two-day annual conference of State Ministers of Welfare/Social Justice.

“Shocked”

“Shocked” over the conviction rate of cases of atrocities against the SC/STs being less than 30 per cent against the average of 42 per cent for all cognisable offences under the Indian Penal Code, Dr. Singh said the disadvantaged groups should be considered equal partners in our development processes. “We should reflect on how to harness the largely untapped potential of people of disadvantage to become equal productive citizens.”

Pointing out that the root of the problem of exclusion from the national mainstream lay in social prejudices and associated discrimination, Dr. Singh said that both the Centre and the States would have to work out effective strategies to ensure greater security, dignity, equality and a more non-discriminatory treatment to the vulnerable sections.

Drawing attention to the drought-like situation in many parts of the country, the Prime Minister said experience had shown that weaker sections were the worst affected by such natural calamities. “We need to step up monitoring and implementation of key plans such as the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, the Annapurna programme and the Old Age Pension Scheme which target the weaker sections. It is our duty to ensure that these sections receive their proportionate share of these benefits.”

Dr. Singh said the government proposed to comprehensively amend the Persons with Disabilities (equal opportunities, protection of rights and full participation) Act, 1995 in consultation with the States and all stakeholders to bring it in line with the obligations under the U.N. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

Appeal to institutions

He urged the institutions with public dealings to make the process more user-friendly and accessible to the disadvantaged persons.

Calling upon the States to notify and implement the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 on a priority basis, Dr. Singh said the estimated population of senior citizens was projected to more than double by 2026.

“In keeping with the Indian tradition of looking after the aged and the elderly, we should ensure that our senior citizens feel secure, valued and honoured.”

The Hindu : News / National : Atrocities on SC/STs disturbing: Manmohan

16. Abu Turab

Abu Turab New Member

no matter how much we get civilized we will never get out of this "class cocoon"..its not only a dillema wid dalits or shodars , you will see the same treatment with every poor of this world.. nobody cares for them and nobody has any sympathies for them ... its just sad to see even in 21st century they are still called untouchable. =(

17. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Yes. in all cases the tortured classes are poorer ones.