United Kingdom's Daughters

Kay

Country flag
@thethinker
The content of the documentary was what GOI needed to counter - not on the grounds of who made it and why.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@thethinker
The content of the documentary was what GOI needed to counter - not on the grounds of who made it and why.
You can check the FIR filed by Delhi police, ban was based on content.

Political rhetoric was on who made it and why...

Kay

Country flag
@Samar Rathi
A diplomatic protest, or letters from foreign office could have been sent.

Kay

Country flag
@ezsasa
A counter to the documentary means another documentary or media repudiating it.
If Indian laws are broken, of course FIRs can be filed. But legal action should be against the persons violating the Indian laws - they can be fined or jailed. But the documentary should not be banned. It should be countered.

sorcerer

Country flag
@ezsasa
If Indian laws are broken, of course FIRs can be filed. But legal action should be against the persons violating the Indian laws - they can be fined or jailed. But the documentary should not be banned. It should be countered.

How do you think we can counter it?
With state run media...like DD which works under strict operational rule and protocols?
or
by private media in India owned by the churches and the NGOs of the west?

Kay

Country flag
This individual did which the Indian Government failed to do. Hats off to him. @ezsasa
Of course justice is blind - and depends on facts and evidence presented. But the credibility of the justice system and the government depends on fairness. This brings into question the prosecution bringing the guilty to judgement.
As there are rape cases pending against parliamentarians, the citizens would like to see some actions against them. Results are important - empty statements and promises are not.
It is understandable that the British government can get their hands clean off this issue saying India is free to ban the document. But we know the reputation the Indian government receives if it does so.

Kay

Country flag
@sorcerer
GOI should have encouraged creation of a counter video and post it publicly. If necessary, it could have bought it for viewing in DD. If not possible, it could be shown as sponsored content in private channels. It would have been better to maintain that the video was private while sponsoring it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@ezsasa
Two things :
In this day and age, reaction time is critical. If the documentary is seen by sufficient number of eye balls , damage is already done. No amount of counter propaganda will not be able to remedy the damage already done.

I am pretty sure almost everybody on this forum agrees with you on the counter propaganda point. One thing is clear we do not have a consolidated propaganda tool. It takes some time and money to build one. Ideally it should not be maintained by government, but government should be able to use it when necessary. Until such a consolidated propaganda tool is created, we are on our own.

But look at the positives out of this episode:

Modi govt has abundantly made it clear, the lines that should not be crossed.

UK companies have been fined 4bln USD within a week. Hypothetically I am assuming the message sent is that if UK govt was not willing to help us out in stopping the state owned BBC, the. Indian govt may not be able to help much on income tax dept.

Public reaction was intense, I don't think they were expecting the back lash. UK's own history of rapes have been brought back into highlight.

Indian bloggers have started naming and shaming Leslie udwin. Brits will think twice before taking such risk going further.

This episode has exposed a section of the media, who are willing to go any lengths to defame current govt.

The whole discussion on "Atrocity literature" has been brought to the fore. Earlier very few people believed that this existed.

Some legal loopholes have been exposed, namely that Britain does not care for indian laws.

There might be few more positives.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This individual did which the Indian Government failed to do. Hats off to him. @ezsasa
Of course justice is blind - and depends on facts and evidence presented. But the credibility of the justice system and the government depends on fairness. This brings into question the prosecution bringing the guilty to judgement.
As there are rape cases pending against parliamentarians, the citizens would like to see some actions against them. Results are important - empty statements and promises are not.
It is understandable that the British government can get their hands clean off this issue saying India is free to ban the document. But we know the reputation the Indian government receives if it does so.
Frankly your version of indian judiciary will take some time. They are severely short staffed. It might take some time for all states to take it up as a priority.
I don't think this will get rectified in no less than 15 years, that too only when our economy doubles at least.

sorcerer

Country flag
@sorcerer
GOI should have encouraged creation of a counter video and post it publicly. If necessary, it could have bought it for viewing in DD. If not possible, it could be shown as sponsored content in private channels. It would have been better to maintain that the video was private while sponsoring it.
YOu mean up the ante in a country to country ..gov to gov way for a matter which the UK said was Private affair of a Private company and maintain that posturing!

Diplomatically, I believe GoI did what it should have done. It started a probe into the internal affairs on how the film maker violated the law of this land with the movie.

Govt works within certain frameworks and thresholds beyond that it will look ridiculous.

As for response Our own citizen has already done that by UK's daughters. Thats how patriotism works.

India believes in the strength of its people to do what is right for the country. We can hope for the seculars who believe in Freedom of speech to air UK's daughter all over the world. :)

Kay

Country flag
@ezsasa
The documentary issue was essentially a PR issue and such issues have to be dealt with more maturity and sophistication in the future.

The problem with ban and censorship is that they start with what seems like the right reasons but degenerate quickly into loss of individual freedom and citizen rights. There is a lot of debate around Article 66 A today.

Kay

Country flag
YOu mean up the ante in a country to country ..gov to gov way for a matter which the UK said was Private affair of a Private company and maintain that posturing!

Diplomatically, I believe GoI did what it should have done. It started a probe into the internal affairs on how the film maker violated the law of this land with the movie.

Govt works within certain frameworks and thresholds beyond that it will look ridiculous.

As for response Our own citizen has already done that by UK's daughters. Thats how patriotism works.

India believes in the strength of its people to do what is right for the country. We can hope for the seculars who believe in Freedom of speech to air UK's daughter all over the world. :)
You are free to call out anybody if they are opposing it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@ezsasa
The documentary issue was essentially a PR issue and such issues have to be dealt with more maturity and sophistication in the future.

The problem with ban and censorship is that they start with the right reasons but degenerate quickly into loss of individual freedom and citizen rights. There is a lot of debate around Article 66 A today.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you fail. Failure is a good teacher, if you are willing to learn and improve.

ladder

Country flag
@ezsasa

The problem with ban and censorship is that they start with what seems like the right reasons but degenerate quickly into loss of individual freedom and citizen rights. There is a lot of debate around Article 66 A today.
I had told you I wouldn't quote you until you commit a mistake again.

What has (banning of documentary) this to do with IT act 66A?

Kay

Country flag
I had told you I wouldn't quote you until you commit a mistake again.

What has (banning of documentary) this to do with IT act 66A?
I believe many here can make the connection.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
The best way to react to the BBC video by GOI was to ignore it. If GOI had to react at all, this would have been the way - make a counter video, show it in Doordarshan.
That's the problem with India.We always believe in putting things under carpet and become "Peace Hippies". The hidden agenda of West is simple.

They started it and we should respond.We know we have problems but we have to sort it out.Rapes are no more a "news" in the West as they are used to it so they want to deflect the attention on 3rd world countries.

Who the hell these Western people are to preach us when they cant prevent so many RAPES in their own country and countries like UK can't save their daughters raped/drugged and made preggo by Muslim Paki Men who were their slaves once.Even men are not safe in UK.

If they put 1 finger at us we HAVE to make sure they see that 3 fingers are pointing on them.

ladder

Country flag
I believe many here can make the connection.
I asked you. Try to make the connection and show me.

PS. Don't come out with a theory akin to Supreme Court engages in mob violence.

Kay

Country flag
@ladder
Clearly, my opinions don't matter much. You are free to ignore them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles