UNHRC resolution on SL: Why India should finally stand up

Kito

I detest that. The lives of tens of thousands of our people being cannonfodder and some lies made to pacify us. Such lies only make people loose faith in the country and the Govt.

Smart ? You call turning a blind eye to genocide of half lakh innocents and then further lying to their own countrymen about it smart ?

The SL army did not just finish off the 'rebellious' Tamils, never mind they were fighting a state sponsored racial discrimintion, but also innocent women, children, old and sick in an cold, calclated orgy of state sponsored violence.

And honestly for all those lies to their own country men what did the Govt get ? A big shunya. every single contract that has happened nowadays have been bagged by the Chinese, Lankan ministers regularly indulge in hate speech against India, our commercial interests are being undermined through selective imposition of taxes. This is how we burnt our fingers in Nepal. By betting on the wrong group. This is how we will burn our fingers in Lanka, if we have not already.
when Tamil tiger terrorists genocide all Sri Lankan citizens for 25 years where was these Tamilnadu Tamils/Indians?

There are some projects which handle by India but their record isn't good, it's totally India's constructors' fault. Go to the "Skyscrapercity" website and check how many finished Indian projects or just ask about Indian projects, most of SL members will laugh at you. It's not our fault or hate towards to India, it's the reality!

This is the latest Indian project in Sri Lanka, let's see at least India will finish this with in the next few years...

www.krrishcolombo.com

Last edited:

Kito

The race is the key to the Indian development. ;)
yep, I know.
but India is decades behind China, it is funny some people compare India vs China thing. Actual competition is happening between US vs China.
HeinzGud, look at India's poverty and other social matters, reservations and untouchables etc. Their status is worst in the region, I recently watched a documentary about India which produced by British, really felt sad about situation in India.

Kito

You can laugh. But its your choice if you want to be India's Cuba. Rajapakse surely seems to be set for a Castro like term. Go on, cozy up to the commies.
haha We are Sri Lanka, and Sri Lanka is Sri Lanka! not any country's cuba!
Sri Lankans choose their leaders, when they fed-up with current president they will go for another.

amoy

when Tamil tiger terrorists genocide all Sri Lankan citizens for 25 years where was these Tamilnadu Tamils/Indians?

There are some projects which handle by India but their record isn't good, it's totally India's constructors' fault. Go to the "Skyscrapercity" website and check how many finished Indian projects or just ask about Indian projects, most of SL members will laugh at you. It's not our fault or hate towards to India, it's the reality!

[/IMG]
India need an excuse and leverage for meddling with SL internal affairs, and always something to keep SL busy - so-called beggar-thy-neighbour tactics.

"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

Good that the cancer of terrorism was eradicated at last - after decades of violence.

Sukerchakia

I detest that. The lives of tens of thousands of our people being cannonfodder and some lies made to pacify us. Such lies only make people loose faith in the country and the Govt.
Well, real politik isnt that sensitive about lives. We have lost far more of our own countrymen in internal conflicts.

And give me a break, beyond a few Tamils, know one in India give a sh*t about what happens to SL Tamils. Not after our experiences with the LTTE. There are far bigger issues to contend with.

Smart ? You call turning a blind eye to genocide of half lakh innocents and then further lying to their own countrymen about it smart ?

The SL army did not just finish off the 'rebellious' Tamils, never mind they were fighting a state sponsored racial discrimintion, but also innocent women, children, old and sick in an cold, calclated orgy of state sponsored violence.

And honestly for all those lies to their own country men what did the Govt get ? A big shunya. every single contract that has happened nowadays have been bagged by the Chinese, Lankan ministers regularly indulge in hate speech against India, our commercial interests are being undermined through selective imposition of taxes. This is how we burnt our fingers in Nepal. By betting on the wrong group. This is how we will burn our fingers in Lanka, if we have not already.
I guess your ethnic roots are getting in the way of analyzing the issue objectively. We do not need to care what SL does with its religious minorities, untill it affects us directly. They did what they had to do to handle a population that was actively supporting terrorists. We have done similar in installments in Kashmir, NE and the Naxal hit areas. We dont want a neighbouring country telling us to respect human rights while fighting militants, do we? Size or power not withstanding, we dont need to tell them how to manage their internal affairs.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Automobile prices are higher in Sri Lanka, now it has around 300% tax. It's nothing new or not based on specific country's automobile products.
It is.

For example Chinese and Japanese auto products were exempted and only Indian auto cos were required to pay that tax.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We aren't part of India or Indian sub-continent country, why should we promise things to GOI? SL government promises things to its citizens and of course YES, we are closely monitoring what government promises to us.

Why only Tamils, all the citizens of Sri Lanka are expecting better life in a develop country. Northern Tamils are a small percentage of whole Tamil population, government did a great job, they destroyed a terrorist group and now every citizens of Sri Lanka enjoying their freedom. Converted the Eastern province to tourism destination, now increasing the development projects in Northern province.

honestly speaking, these resolution things are political stuff to reduce the China's capabilities. Unfortunately US trapped India for this, last time INDIA was the only Asian country who voted against us. I won't get surprised if India do that again.
India voted against you after watering down the resolution. It not you might have been in bigger shit.

And no I am not too pleased with Indian govts bungling in SL over the years thanks to the political issues at home. One way or the other, SL did manage to wipe out terrorists but India lost out on all geopolitical counts.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Well, real politik isnt that sensitive about lives. We have lost far more of our own countrymen in internal conflicts.
I'm just asking what has that realpolitik brought to the country ? Nothing. Still its China all the way in Lanka. The carrot has not worked with Lanka whereby they have taken our patience as a sign of weakness. Its time we brought out the stick.

And give me a break, beyond a few Tamils, know one in India give a sh*t about what happens to SL Tamils. Not after our experiences with the LTTE. There are far bigger issues to contend with.
I give you a break and I dont expect you to share the sentiments of your own countrymen. But atleast see what tangible benefits this has brought to India as a whole. What has the real politik given to India in form of some solid strategic or commercial interests.

And why does the question of making Lanka accountable to the genocide on Tamils have to do with LTTE ? Did I ask the Gov to go support another insurgency ? (I deally I would, but then I also recognize that may weaken Indian position). No. India, as the pre-eminent power in South Asia needs to make sure that a tiny state which made plenty promises to it abides by those promises and we are not made to look like fools and played for suckers.

I guess your ethnic roots are getting in the way of analyzing the issue objectively.
No one analyses any thing objectvely. Our inbuilt biases always play a role in shaping our perceptions and I feel there is nothing wrong with it.

We do not need to care what SL does with its religious minorities, untill it affects us directly. They did what they had to do to handle a population that was actively supporting terrorists. We have done similar in installments in Kashmir, NE and the Naxal hit areas. We dont want a neighbouring country telling us to respect human rights while fighting militants, do we? Size or power not withstanding, we dont need to tell them how to manage their internal affairs.
A country of 1.2 billion, a nuclear power, worried what a tiny state of 20 million would question it. This is the reason why India would never be a big power in the leagues of US, China, Russia. Ever. We just dont have the heart.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
haha We are Sri Lanka, and Sri Lanka is Sri Lanka! not any country's cuba!
Sri Lankans choose their leaders, when they fed-up with current president they will go for another.
I seriously doubt that the current president will go. He might amend the constitution or even suspend it at some point. He knows once out of power, he will be open to investigation that will find him guilty of human rights violation.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
yep, I know.
but India is decades behind China, it is funny some people compare India vs China thing. Actual competition is happening between US vs China.
HeinzGud, look at India's poverty and other social matters, reservations and untouchables etc. Their status is worst in the region, I recently watched a documentary about India which produced by British, really felt sad about situation in India.
The Brtish still think India is the land of snake charmers. Take them seriously at your own peril. BTW the Brits are making a beeline to visit india to get Indian business. And yes they are still sore about losing the fighter aircraft deal.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@KS, India didn't go the whole hog in SL. That is why we are neither here nor there.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Because the SL govt promised to GOI about how they are going to move heaven and earth to reconcile with the Tamils. Now all they have to say is a curt ---- off to GOI. Surely a self-respecting nation would not allow itself to be played like a puppet by a tiny island nation smaller than most states in India.

And kid me not - we have exactly ZERO influence on SL.
Rather this is a God given opportunity to better our ties wwith Sri Lanka.

Kito

It is.

For example Chinese and Japanese auto products were exempted and only Indian auto cos were required to pay that tax.
totally wrong! Any country cannot impose taxes like that based on one country, as far as I know it is not accept by international law when taxing.
Normally Japanese vehicle prices are higher than any other in Sri Lanka.

Kito

India voted against you after watering down the resolution. It not you might have been in bigger shit.

And no I am not too pleased with Indian govts bungling in SL over the years thanks to the political issues at home. One way or the other, SL did manage to wipe out terrorists but India lost out on all geopolitical counts.
but voted against us! If India is really that friendly to SL then you could have abstained from voting like some other countries. I don't want to argue on this matter it is India's choice.

Last edited:

Kito

I seriously doubt that the current president will go. He might amend the constitution or even suspend it at some point. He knows once out of power, he will be open to investigation that will find him guilty of human rights violation.
nah, Execute President of Sri Lanka means they have full powers but no any President of SL have used those powers to level of hurting people expect one time by one president decade ago. Political leaders can't dance as they wish or as long as they want, we know how to tame them. He can't win elections if he unable to provide a better development, he is still performing well at the moment that's why some people ignore some of his ministers' corruption activities.

Rajapaksha became president in 2005, following chart tells about his era. I'm not a fan of him but he is doing something for our country...

Rajapaksha era, 2005 to present,Development is happening...

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
but voted against us! If India is really that friendly to SL then you could have abstained from voting like some other countries. I don't want to argue on this matter it is India's choice.
India had to address a section of its domestic ppulation. Something that messe up eeryhig over the years.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
nah, Execute President of Sri Lanka means they have full powers but no any President of SL have used those powers to level of hurting people expect one time by one president decade ago. Political leaders can't dance as they wish or as long as they want, we know how to tame them. He can't win elections if he unable to provide a better development, he is still performing well at the moment that's why some people ignore some of his ministers' corruption activities.

Rajapaksha became president in 2005, following chart tells about his era. I'm not a fan of him but he is doing something for our country...

Rajapaksha era, 2005 to present,Development is happening...

He may be doing well and I am sure he is, but its undeniable that he has dictatorial tendencies.

When I visited SL and surveyed the market a couple of years back, all who I met were unhappy with the total Chinese domination. While you may have built good infrastructure, it has not helped local population to win sub contracts, labor contracts or vendor contracts. This was their grouse. Compare this to Indian infrastructure efforts in Afghanistan which has world wide praise. It involves local and we have got the goodwill of locals. Ditto with Afrcia.

You guys are well advised to not play into Chini hands. It will only lead to problems for your country.

Kito

He may be doing well and I am sure he is, but its undeniable that he has dictatorial tendencies.

When I visited SL and surveyed the market a couple of years back, all who I met were unhappy with the total Chinese domination. While you may have built good infrastructure, it has not helped local population to win sub contracts, labor contracts or vendor contracts. This was their grouse. Compare this to Indian infrastructure efforts in Afghanistan which has world wide praise. It involves local and we have got the goodwill of locals. Ditto with Afrcia.

You guys are well advised to not play into Chini hands. It will only lead to problems for your country.
Our opposition is weak, they don't have unity inside their party and no sign of win in recent years. My area is ruled by opposition party for decades but it also changed in this year, ruling President's party UPFA won it.

I really doubt that. Sure, Chinese have major share so we have to respect that but our people are there too. I haven't seen anyone worrying too much about Chinese but what I saw recent years all the prices of lands around those projects gone high, people get new opportunities and facilities. Chinese work 2-3 years and then they go. after completing those projects example new airport, Hambantota port, expressways and everything bring opportunities to our citizens. So why we should worry for the disadvantage in the first few years? ;)

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

This is the latest Indian project in Sri Lanka, let's see at least India will finish this with in the next few years...

Krrish Square - Sri Lanka Real Estate Developers - Properties & Apartments Colombo Sri Lanka

yep, I know.
good.exposing the Indians double standard.on one hand they accuse pak of terrorist activities while on the other hand they clearly supported the terrorists in India

pak on the other hand has supplied millions dollar arms and support against the terrorist

dont take Indians invading Sri Lanka failed idea seriously.they have never invaded any country not even a city

just chill and look for your interest only

amoy

people get new opportunities and facilities. Chinese work 2-3 years and then they go. after completing those projects example new airport, Hambantota port, expressways and everything bring opportunities to our citizens. So why we should worry for the disadvantage in the first few years?
Chinese come and go - these are golden words here.

But Indians - or of a specific group - will change your demography if they stay as witnessed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles