Understanding India ~ Q & A Thread

Otm Shank2

what constitutes rural in India? Whats the difference/measurement between what is a town and village? Measured by services or population or location?

DingDong

Country flag
what constitutes rural in India? Whats the difference/measurement between what is a town and village? Measured by services or population or location?
Rural area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rural areas are also known as 'countryside' or a 'village' in India. It has a very low density of population. In rural areas, agriculture is the chief source of livelihood along with fishing, cottage industries, pottery etc. The quest to discover the real rural India still continues in great earnest. Almost every economic agency today has a definition of rural India. Here are a few definitions: According to the Planning Commission, a town with a maximum population of 15,000 is considered rural in nature. In these areas the panchayat takes all the decisions. There are five people in the panchayat. The National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) defines 'rural' as follows:

-An area with a population density of up to 400 per square kilometer,
-Villages with clear surveyed boundaries but no municipal board,
-A minimum of 75% of male working population involved in agriculture and allied activities.[12]

RBI defines rural areas as those areas with a population of less than 49,000 (tier -3 to tier-6 cities).[12] It is generally said that the rural areas house up to 70% of India's population. Rural India contributes a big chunk to India's GDP by way of agriculture, self-employment, services, construction etc. As per a strict measure used by the National Sample Survey in its 63rd round, called monthly per capita expenditure, rural expenditure accounts for 55% of total national monthly expenditure. The rural population currently accounts for one -third of the total Indian FMCG sales.[12]

Otm Shank2

Thank you. Is the definition and the idea of rural in the indian psyche or use in day to day conversation the same?

DingDong

Country flag
Thank you. Is the definition and the idea of rural in the indian psyche or use in day to day conversation the same?
I visited my village after 5 years recently, was surprised to see shiny new highways; 24/7 electricity and water supply. But, agriculture remains the mainstay for majority of the population. India's rural landscape is changing very fast (in a positive way) while the Urban space is getting cramped. I am not talking about the interiors and tribal areas, those areas are still underdeveloped.

Otm Shank2

When people say ancestral homes on indian forums...do people trace and have rights to far back in their lineage even if they havent been there before to certain places?

Kshatriya87

Country flag
When people say ancestral homes on indian forums...do people trace and have rights to far back in their lineage even if they havent been there before to certain places?
Yes, that happens in some cases. But mostly people only trace their "native" places as the places where their parents or grandparents grew up. Beyond that they don't care much from where they came form. They claim the places they are living at currently as their homes.

But there are people called "Bhatts", who roam around villages and towns and record in writing all descendants of Hindus. I have traced my lineage till 800 years back through them.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
yes In most cases. Sometimes it is documented but most of the times lineage is explained As an oral tradition explained by grandparents to grandchildren.

in my case my family's history is documented by British India empire books from early 1600 where it started and recently one of my family elders wrote a book connecting them to current generation.

DingDong

Country flag
Yes, that happens in some cases. But mostly people only trace their "native" places as the places where their parents or grandparents grew up. Beyond that they don't care much from where they came form. They claim the places they are living at currently as their homes.

But there are people called "Bhatts", who roam around villages and towns and record in writing all descendants of Hindus. I have traced my lineage till 800 years back through them.
I was surprised to learn that there is a system of record keeping (written) using which I can trace my ancestry back to around 30 generations (Middle Ages).

DingDong

Country flag
Is it common to talk to bhatts? are they pandits?
Read this article: Hindu genealogy registers at Haridwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every Panda/genealogist maintains record of a number of families.

I belong to this community: Maithil Brahmin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maithil Brahmins are a Hindu Brahmin community from the Mithila region of India and Nepal. They are one of the five Pancha-Gauda Brahmin communities. In India, the Maithil Brahmins reside mainly in Bihar and the neighbouring states of Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand and West Bengal. In Nepal, they mostly reside in the Terai region. They are noted for panjis, the extensive genealogical records maintained for the last twenty-four generations.

jouni

What is the meaning of "aryan" in Indian life and society?

pmaitra

What is the meaning of "aryan" in Indian life and society?
It has multiple meanings.
Buddhism
Hinduism
Persian/Iranian
Iran Shahr or Town of the Aryans? (Šahrestānīhā ī Ērānšahr)

The term "Aryan" came to be used as the term for the Indo-European language group, and by extension, the original speakers of those languages. In the 19th century, "language" was considered a property of "ethnicity", and thus the speakers of the Indo-Persian or Indo-European languages came to be called the "Aryan race", as contradistinguished from what came to be called the "Semitic race".
Source provided above (2nd, 3rd links).

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
It has multiple meanings.
Buddhism
Hinduism
Persian/Iranian

Source provided above (2nd, 3rd links).
IMHO

Asking for the meaning of the word "arya" is like asking for the meaning of say "suomi."
Just like the average Finn might not know that "suomi" comes from Balto-Slavic "Zeme" meaning land (cognate with Russian Zemlya), an average Indian may not be able to accurately trace the etymology of "arya", he may not know that it means "noble", because the word is etched into the Indian psyche since long ago.

PS: The word Iran means Aryan.

Last edited:

pmaitra

IMHO

Asking for the meaning of the word "arya" is like asking for the meaning of say "suomi".
Just like the average Finn might not know that "suomi" comes from Balto-Slavic "Zeme" meaning land (cognate with Russian Zemlya), an average Indian may not be able to accurately trace the etymology of "arya", he may not know that it means "noble", because the word is etched into the Indian psyche since long ago.

I have already added another link to my post.

jouni

So what is so special in Aryanism that Hitler adapted it to his rantings?

jouni

IMHO

Asking for the meaning of the word "arya" is like asking for the meaning of say "suomi."

"Suomi" is the name of the ancient Finnish King who met with Frank King Charles the Great at 811, he was a tough king "suomija" means a whipper, respected Kings aide

811: Den aftalte fred mellem kejseren og kong Hemming af Danmark [Danorum regem] blev på grund af vinterens strenghed, som lukkede rejsevejen frem og tilbage mellem parterne, foreløbig kun svoret på våbnene, indtil ved det tilbagevendende forår vejene, som havde været lukkede af streng kulde atter åbnedes, og der nu fra begge folk, franker og daner, trådte tolv fornemme mænd sammen [congredientibus ex utraque parte utriusque gentis, Francorum scilicet et Danorum, XII primoribus] i (...) ved Ejderen, mænd, som bekræftede freden efter ret og sædvane med indbyrdes aflagte eder. Stormændene på frankisk side var: greverne Walach, Bernhards søn, Burchard, Unroc, Uodo, Meginhard, Bernhard, Egbert, Theoteri, Abo, Osdag, Wigman; fra dansk side [de parte vero Danorum]: især Hemmings brødre, Hankwin, Angandeo, dernæst andre ansete landsmænd [deinde cetreri honorabiles inter suos viri] Osfrid med tilnavnet Turdimulo, Warstein, Suomi, Urm endnu en Osfrid, søn af Helge, Osfrid fra Skåne, Hebbi og Aowin.

Af Annales Regni Francorum. Overs. E. Albrectsen Vikingerne i Franken, Odense 1976 s.16, 18. Latinske tekst i Scriptores rerum Germanicarum in usum scholarum, bnd VI 1895 ed. F. Kurze / G. H. Pertz s. 128, 134

Last edited:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
So what is so special in Aryanism that Hitler adapted it to his rantings?
Hitler believed in the "purity" of races. He believed that Aryans were among the first race which had superior civilizational and warrior qualities. He did not see Jews and blacks as belonging to those groups. Hence he also saw Indians as people with whom he can walk side by side. He was also in talks with Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose to fight for India. He respected Indians in that way.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I visited my village after 5 years recently, was surprised to see shiny new highways; 24/7 electricity and water supply. But, agriculture remains the mainstay for majority of the population. India's rural landscape is changing very fast (in a positive way) while the Urban space is getting cramped. I am not talking about the interiors and tribal areas, those areas are still underdeveloped.
Where is your village ?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
"Suomi" is the name of the ancient Finnish King who met with Frank King Charles the Great at 811, he was a tough king "suomija" means a whipper, respected Kings aide

811: Den aftalte fred mellem kejseren og kong Hemming af Danmark [Danorum regem] blev på grund af vinterens strenghed, som lukkede rejsevejen frem og tilbage mellem parterne, foreløbig kun svoret på våbnene, indtil ved det tilbagevendende forår vejene, som havde været lukkede af streng kulde atter åbnedes, og der nu fra begge folk, franker og daner, trådte tolv fornemme mænd sammen [congredientibus ex utraque parte utriusque gentis, Francorum scilicet et Danorum, XII primoribus] i (...) ved Ejderen, mænd, som bekræftede freden efter ret og sædvane med indbyrdes aflagte eder. Stormændene på frankisk side var: greverne Walach, Bernhards søn, Burchard, Unroc, Uodo, Meginhard, Bernhard, Egbert, Theoteri, Abo, Osdag, Wigman; fra dansk side [de parte vero Danorum]: især Hemmings brødre, Hankwin, Angandeo, dernæst andre ansete landsmænd [deinde cetreri honorabiles inter suos viri] Osfrid med tilnavnet Turdimulo, Warstein, Suomi, Urm endnu en Osfrid, søn af Helge, Osfrid fra Skåne, Hebbi og Aowin.

Af Annales Regni Francorum. Overs. E. Albrectsen Vikingerne i Franken, Odense 1976 s.16, 18. Latinske tekst i Scriptores rerum Germanicarum in usum scholarum, bnd VI 1895 ed. F. Kurze / G. H. Pertz s. 128, 134
1.) There is no such thing as Finnish King, at least not in recorded history, wherein Finland was almost always under Swedish or Slavic boot.

2.) The paragraph is in Danish and it says Danish nobleman Suomi, not Finnish King Suomi.

3.) Will need source link to peruse.

4.) Even if there is a person named Suomi, that doesn't mean his name magically appeared. Given names usually mean something.
In this case Suomi is almost certainly a chronological corruption of proto Blato-Slavic word "zeme" meaning land.
This "zeme" is cognates with Russian Zemlya meaning land (Yup, the Finns need to remember the Slavic Ruski gave their country its name)
The word "zeme" is also found in many other languages; in South Asia the equivalent word is Zamin which also means land/ground etc.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Hitler believed in the "purity" of races. He believed that Aryans were among the first race which had superior civilizational and warrior qualities. He did not see Jews and blacks as belonging to those groups. Hence he also saw Indians as people with whom he can walk side by side. He was also in talks with Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose to fight for India. He respected Indians in that way.
That was not a genuine thirst for knowledge from that member.

First of all it is not an "ism"
Secondly, almost everybody knows that Hitler's ideas were his own views (which he developed over the years, with input from certain individuals) and there is not point in asking about it to Indians.

Basically it is kind of a belittling taunt (which he does in almost all threads)
And you fell for it. :pokerface:

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles