Understanding India ~ Q & A Thread

Otm Shank2

I thought I'd start this thread to help people who have never been to or interacted with non western Bharatian Culture understand what and why indians feel abd where our people come from.

I've never been to India, I speak no indian languages and neither do my parents or grandparents. Theres so much that I personally don't understand about modern india and more importantly the thought processes and valuations of things be it socially, culturally or in relation to quality of life

If any questions seem ignorant or offensive... please forgive and excuse ... its out of ignorance NOT malice

Otm Shank2

Do indians eat western/non indian food in their home life or when they eat out? Do people make spaghetti and sauce or chow mein at home for their families?

is there pizza parlours, chinese food and McDonald's every 2 blocks like in north america?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Do indians eat western/non indian food in their home life or when they eat out? Do people make spaghetti and sauce or chow mein at home for their families?

is there pizza parlours, chinese food and McDonald's every 2 blocks like in north america?
I am talking about urban Indians :

Do Indians eat Western / Non-Indian food at home and out ? Yes

Do Indians order/make Spaghetti/Pasta etc at home ? Yes

Do Indians order/make Chowmein at home ? Yes

Are there pizza parlours ? Yes

Is there Chinese food ? Yes. Its the most popular foreign cuisine.

Is there McDonalds every 2 blocks ? Nope McDonalds isn't that ubiquitous there could be 20-50 McDonalds in every big city but they also have home delivery all over cities you can order via net or phone

DingDong

Country flag
I am talking about urban Indians :

Do Indians eat Western / Non-Indian food at home and out ? Yes

Do Indians order/make Spaghetti/Pasta etc at home ? Yes

Do Indians order/make Chowmein at home ? Yes

Are there pizza parlours ? Yes

Is there Chinese food ? Yes. Its the most popular foreign cuisine.

Is there McDonalds every 2 blocks ? Nope McDonalds isn't that ubiquitous there could be 20-50 McDonalds in every big city but they also have home delivery all over cities you can order via net or phone
Your definition of Urban Indians does not include 90% of India's population.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Your definition of Urban Indians does not include 90% of India's population.
Atleast it fits the description of over 120 million folks that's good enough for a start.

Otm Shank2

What is your PERSONAL opinion of Nris. Is an Nri someone who was born in or has a parent born in india? Do you feel all are outsiders, some are, all are or mostly have an indian disposition/character?

I know dramatically different questions.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What is your PERSONAL opinion of Nris. Is an Nri someone who was born in or has a parent born in india? Do you feel all are outsiders, some are, all are or mostly have an indian disposition/character?

Opinion about NRIs ? Generally goodish. Many Indians have relatives abroad. And NRIs play a good role in helping India.

Who is an NRI ? Technically someone who has an Indian passport but lives for an extended period of time abroad. Then there are OCIs overseas citizens of India, PIOs People of Indian origin who have non-Indian citizenship or dual citizenship(?)

I don't understand your last question

DingDong

Country flag

I think you are talking about PIOs (People of Indian Origin). NRIs are Indian Citizens living abroad.

Non-resident Indian and person of Indian origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A non-resident Indian (NRI) is a citizen of India who holds an Indian passport and has temporarily emigrated to another country for six months or more for employment, residence, education or any other purpose.

A person of Indian origin (PIO) is a person of Indian origin or ancestry who was or whose ancestors were born in India or other states but have Indian ancestry but is not a citizen of India and is the citizen of another country. A PIO might have been a citizen of India and subsequently taken the citizenship of another country.

Otm Shank2

Western Indians and South asian Indians dont have the same name for 90 percent of our foods so I dont understand .

examples we call bindi ( long beans) bora and " lady fingers " are okra.

mithai is a crunchy fried sweet while its all sweets for bhartian Indians.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otm Shank2

Are vegetarians seen as more refined culturally in indian culture or usually more affluent sociallu? I notice the most affluent indians in Canada (other than punjabis) are vegetarian (gujarati)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Are vegetarians seen as more refined culturally in indian culture or usually more affluent sociallu? I notice the most affluent indians in Canada (other than punjabis) are vegetarian (gujarati)
No to both.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles