Under-defended India

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Agreed that there might be some basis rule to be followed for inducting a plane,but IAF could have inducted the Tejas and corrections would have been made with pilots feedback in subsequent batches.

Soviets used similar approach for eg the SU-24 when it was inducted it did have its share of teething problems which were rectified in subsequent batches with the design bureau. Similar approach would have been helpful.
Every country does that. US, USSR, UK, France, Germany, China, Taiwan, Sweden.. you name it.

Only the prepubescent girls (aka IAF top brass) wants a magical X-fighter suddenly appearing in front of them with all tests and latest self-incorporating upgrades ready to take on Darth Vader himself.

Even MOD knows that Tejas is ready but is delaying it so that maximum cash can be made from importing unwanted foreign made jets.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Is there any open source document that lists the time period in which HAL can deliver 400 MK1 aircraft to IAF.
that is why we have to keep the old and creaking Migs and spent money on the upgrades of Jaguar and M 2K
Heard of war-time production?

Every country is capable of it and even so is India. Only problem is the current government has no regard for defense sector at all.

So many of our projects in the last 10 years have been stuck and have quietly been kept out of the limelight for nothing.

HAL is claiming that they will start with manufacturing 3 aircraft in first year, followed by 7-8 in two years and then 15 in 5 year years, per year. At that rate, we will not have sufficient Tejas jets in time.

HAL needs to quadruple its production capacity and privatization is the only way I see it happen

Himanshu Pandey

All I know is there 3 category of fighters... MKI is heavy, rafael is medium and LCA is light and they all have their own different strength and weakness. also they have their own use.. there is no use in comparing 2. it will be same as comparing a BMW with a maruti 800.. both are used for travel but they cater the requirement of different people.

sob

Mod
Country flag

Every country is capable of it and even so is India. Only problem is the current government has no regard for defense sector at all.

So many of our projects in the last 10 years have been stuck and have quietly been kept out of the limelight for nothing.

HAL is claiming that they will start with manufacturing 3 aircraft in first year, followed by 7-8 in two years and then 15 in 5 year years, per year. At that rate, we will not have sufficient Tejas jets in time.

HAL needs to quadruple its production capacity and privatization is the only way I see it happen
War time production happens when you already have a ready assembly line, which to me is not ready yet- understandably so. With so much confused signals HAL would be crazy to go in for a production line.

Another point to be noted is that HAL has so much on it's plate and with so much diverse range of aircraft to assemble, service it is not easy.
HAL should spin off an entire seperate division which will handle only servicing and spares for the Migs, Jaguars and M2K.

The existing set up should be geared up for SU 30 , LCA and Rafael whenever both of them come.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Production line is active, Tejas are under serial production ..

First of Tejas will roll out end of this year ..

War time production happens when you already have a ready assembly line, which to me is not ready yet- understandably so. With so much confused signals HAL would be crazy to go in for a production line..

Reactions: sob

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
War time production happens when you already have a ready assembly line, which to me is not ready yet- understandably so. With so much confused signals HAL would be crazy to go in for a production line.

Another point to be noted is that HAL has so much on it's plate and with so much diverse range of aircraft to assemble, service it is not easy.
HAL should spin off an entire seperate division which will handle only servicing and spares for the Migs, Jaguars and M2K.

The existing set up should be geared up for SU 30 , LCA and Rafael whenever both of them come.
I feel HAL should be disintegrated into multiple different firms and be bid for private acquisitions.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Let @p2prada reply to the first half of your point. It will be better for him to comment.

Gripen NG has been in service since 1997 and till date has produced almost 240 aircraft and is in the service of 2-3 nations. So please do not compare LCA with it.

How many different world class fighters have Sukhoi Bureau, Mikhoyan, or LM or Boeing have made in the last 4-5 decades. When they offer a new aircraft then the reliability and performance of those 4 decades backs their offering. The same is not the case with HAL. Maybe in 2020 or in 2025 they may have the same credibility or capacity.

I once again repeat that you cannot say that a aircraft on the design stage is better than a aircraft which is being used in active service. At best you can say that based on the specs our offering will be better. Actual performance and specs on the drawing sheets are two different things and in my limited experience the divergence can be pretty steep.

If I want to buy a Formula 1 car I would rather go to a Ferrari or a Mercedes rather than go to Honda or Suzuki or even Volvo.
What is the reply of @p2prada is not the point,

I know very well what he will reply , when cornered,

I asked your views on the statements made by @p2prada

The one that entered service with Sweedish airforce in 1997 is not grippen NG. It is Grippen C/D .

Not a single production version Grippen NG fighter exists, forget about IOC, FOC, there is only one demo version exists.

Yet IAF saw the wisdom in allowing Grippen NG to participate in MMRCA tender, In case it won , Indian tax payer would have paid through their nose for the development of this NG version, which would have been sold to export markets with huge revenues.

First the PAKFA is supposed to be an answer for F-22 and it was supposed to be delivered with two seater version. Now the clean config RCS of FGFA will be bigger than the clean config RCS of Tejas at 0.5 sq meter according to russian sources themselves..

if we add stealth external weapon bays to tejas mk-2 , then both may carry the same number of air to air missiles with matching RCS , now compare the prices.

Also two seater version won't be coming along and now it is cancelled.Still no one says it is not right for IAF to have backed the fighter without seeing full production version, Why?

An aircraft will exceed or match another aircraft in operational stage, only if the corresponding design principle is applied at design stage itself. Fighter design nowadays is not about lets see what comes at the end of the design process.

If your super rich you can buy forever from Ferrari, but with your currency busting we can not afford to bankroll the Ferrari and Mercedes of the world forever.

What about our Himalayan neighbor about whom we are mortally afraid forever, Does he also stand in the Q before the ferrari firm?

And why did the top speed of russian ferrari (FGFA ) has been reduced from Mach 2.5 to Mach 2?

So did the IAF went ahead with Su-30 MKI after throughly satisfying itself with the first production version fully developed by the Russians. No. 40 Russian SU-30 series fighters spent their teething time in IAF stables not in the paid for configuration and they were recently returned to Rusia in exchange for the Full SU-30 MKI version. It is not something you would not have known I think.

Even Russian airforce has now ordered the SU-30 MKI in the name of SU-30 SM for their fleet all thanks to combined hardwork by various Indian agencies including the much maligned HAL.

SO when IAF was ready to pay for SU-30 MKI with specs only in their ASR sheets making a song and dance over tejas is not fair to the young pilots whose fate is being tied with Mig-21s.

If at all IAF wanted it would have given orders for 50 or so tejas mk-1 6 or 7 years before

with needed modifications done after the FOC

like they did with the initial SU-30 batch which did not conform to their specs.

Even sweedish airforce did not insist on 2 or 3 IOCs and one FOC along with 2300 test flights for their 1997 induction of grippen, it gave immediate orders a few years after the prototype flew. thats why grippen program is in an advanced stage compared to tejas,

Since IAF did not give a firm committed order of 50 or 80 Tejas mk-1 production of LSPs has become a low priority job for HAL.That was one of the reasons tejas was delayed as well because why do you expect HAL invest in a brand new production line for tejas with no firm commitments from IAF?

So we can see the rudimentary shapings on tejas prototype wings all due to the obsolete production line through which tejas is being produced. Only now HAL has asked money for investing in modern production tech for tejas from MOD and it is still not cleared by MOD. All of this is going on because of the lack of interest shown by IAF from the start.

Even AM Rajkumar in his Tejas story book has written that IAF came on board tejas only after 2006 and raised many requests for action numbering around 200 which further delayed the program.

If IAF gives a bigger order and asks for urgent deliveries HAL can set up a higher capacity production line along with firm orders for engines for speedy deliveries. So making 400 Tejas fighters in ten years at 40 an year is no rocket science,

Why if IAF give orders in the vicinity of 400 many domestic firms too will be willing to jump in , Remember reliance tying up with Dassault and TATAs tying up with Boeing in MMRCA. Because then it is sure to have even export orders.

Why is IAF not insisting on it? If it wants faster deliveries. They are still setting their eyes on RAFALE , FGFA only with just lip service for tejas. But the reality in the form of dwindling forex reserves and falling Rupee will bite them soon.

Lets see how things fare then.

Purely from air defence perspective tejas mk-2 will be on par with the Grippen NG as both carry the same engine and same empty weight , and even the same air to air missiles in the form of Meteor. Why tejas mk-2 will have a slightly bigger radome dia than the grippen NG too.So there is nothing wrong in IAF chiefs remarks that tejas mk-2 will be on par with grippen NG.

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Is there any open source document that lists the time period in which HAL can deliver 400 MK1 aircraft to IAF.
that is why we have to keep the old and creaking Migs and spent money on the upgrades of Jaguar and M 2K
If IAF gives a bigger order and asks for urgent deliveries HAL can set up a higher capacity production line along with firm orders for engines for speedy deliveries. So making 400 Tejas fighters in ten years at 40 an year is no rocket science,

Why if IAF give orders in the vicinity of 400 many domestic firms too will be willing to jump in , Remember reliance tying up with Dassault and TATAs tying up with Boeing in MMRCA. Because then it is sure to have even export orders.

Why is IAF not insisting on it? If it wants faster deliveries. They are still setting their eyes on RAFALE , FGFA only with just lip service for tejas. But the reality in the form of dwindling forex reserves and falling Rupee will bite them soon.

And did IAF know all the finished fighter specs of FGFA before they entered into the program when they backed it with firm orders of 200 ?

Did they know what is the final clean config RCS of FGFA when they gave a commitment of 200 to Sukhoi?

No is the answer to all the questions.

Do you think IAF would have accepted a stealth fighter with primitive radar blocker (employed in Super hornets of yore)for exposed engine blades from ADA in AMCA?

A big No is the answer.They would have taken ADA to the cleaners for this single inept solution which will definitely lead to detection and tracking by future highly sensitve ASEA radar.

Even the chinese J-20 and J-31 does not employ this exposed engine blades with radar blocker solution. So Sukhoi too is not ferrari or mercedes when it comes to 5th gen fighters.

The Sukhoi has just evolved the Su-30 design to 5th gen stealth with no thoughts about serpentine intakes for stealth.even Chinese introduced serpentine intake for better stealth compliance. Why has IAf not insisted on this feature in FGFA from Sukhoi?

Then why a different yardstick needs to be applied for tejas mk-2 for bulk orders?

Isn't it a common fact that all fighters will fall short of the top 5 or ten percent extreme design specs as we are witnessing on FGFA?

Last edited:

p2prada

My friend, the aircraft is purposely stuck in limbo. If it cannot crash in 2200 hours of flight testing, weapons testing, characteristic testing, aerodynamic testing etc, then it is good to go. The netas are using the jet as a political tool rather than something concerning national defense.
That's complete and utter nonsense. LCA's failures are purely technical. That is very very well established and proven.

Can you tell me what is it that Tejas can't do that a 50 year old Mig-21 IN SERVICE, can do? That is all I want to know from IAF.
Fire BVRs. Even after that the difference between the two would be training a pilot to get into a firing position. That's where the vastly experienced Mig-21 pilots will triumph whereas it will take at least half a decade more for Tejas to fully conform to its superior capabilities.

Overall, LCA has the better tech specs, but it isn't a weapons platform yet.

And this is from the perspective of human life and the lives of valuable pilots that fly the vintage jet which is long supposed to have been scrapped.
Where is Tejas? It does not exist.

Nothing. A MiG-21's role is point defense and basic interception; even Tejas can do that.

So why is IAF not letting pilots be trained for Tejas and starts inducting them while letting the variants evolve?

Why is IAF not protesting this decision and putting the lives of pilots at risk?
They have cried their throats hoarse a decade ago.

Today 1 pilot has gone to file a case against flying the MiG-21. Tomorrow a hundred will.
Point at your ruling class for negotiating substandard equipment and buying into ADA's promises.

Please understand the context in which I am talking.
I perfectly understand your point. Just that you don't understand Tejas is still years away from operational deployment.

MiG-21s should have been phased out 15 years ago. It is a shame that MOD is making them fly even today while keeping a spanking new jet like Tejas in limbo for cheap under-the-table commission on imports. Who bears the cost? Anthony? Rahul? Sonia? MMS? Chidambaram?
Not 15 years ago, but 10 years ago, around the time Tejas was "supposed" to be inducted. Still a 100 odd aircraft were still capable of flying safely and those were upgraded. The rest are merely grounded.

I refuse to believe that Tejas can't do the role that MiG-21 is doing today and if you believe that it can't then you need to rethink on every parameter of the old MIG versus the brand new Tejas even in Mk1 configuration.
Tejas is the better aircraft. But it does not exist yet. So the question, where is Tejas?

You want IAF to phase out Mig-21s in the year 2000 and wait for Tejas in 2020. Well, that's the most realistic date for Tejas anyway.

The first 40 aircraft will only function as trainers.

MKI is not the answer to everything,
No it is not. Neither is Tejas.

There is a reason why we don't have a 800+ fighter force of all-MKI fleet only.
Just so you know, IAF has a sanctioned squadron strength of 42, with a potential of reaching 45 by the end of the next decade. Out of that, by 2030, over 20 will be filled by MKI class aircraft, 9 will be filled by medium class aircraft like Rafale and LCA will form 4+2 squadrons. The rest will be obsolete aircraft ready to be phased out with AMCA. These are the facts. Please don't expect to change those. There is no real place for LCA in IAF unless the squadrons limit is raised to much higher levels, which we won't be able to afford by the end of this decade anyway.

Think realistically. We have 10 squadrons of MKI today, will have at least 14 by 2018. We plan on purchasing 9 squadrons of Rafale. 14+9 = 23 squadrons. At the same time we will start inductions of FGFA, minimum 10 squadrons. So take that number up to 33 squadrons. We will have 6 LCA squadrons. Total = 39 squadrons. What's left is 3 squadrons apart from at least 10 Jaguar, Mig-29 and Mirage-2000 squadrons of which the Mig-29s will be the first to go followed by Jaguar and then Mirage-2000. All to be replaced with the more capable AMCA and later block FGFAs.

So why on earth would we want more LCAs, which is obsolete by the standards of all modern air forces, even Sweden?

Go to the Korean KF-X thread and see why they are trying to build a Rafale class aircraft today and moving on to F-35 class aircraft by 2030, while keeping the F-50 (LCA class aircraft) in a secondary role.

Heck they have the same two programs that we have. F/A-50 will be a LCA Mk1 class (actually better) and F-50 will be a Mk2 class with AESA and more powerful engine. They have ordered only 20 F/A-50 aircraft. They say there is a potential of pushing the order to 50, but it doesn't look like they will be going for it. Even the Koreans have 120+ F-5 that need replacement. They are Mig-21 class aircraft. Also note that Korea has a poorer air force than India.

Go observe what other air forces are doing around the world and then compare with what a better air force like India can do. That will give you all the answers you need. FYI, both Russia and US plan on equipping their forces with mostly heavy aircraft.

A bit of browsing, common sense and looking at the capabilities of the enemy will tell anybody that the replacement for a Mig-21 is a MKI and not LCA, and that's what's happening. We are not PAF.

p2prada

Let @p2prada reply to the first half of your point. It will be better for him to comment.
I consider him to be an idiot not worth responding to. Complete waste of time. He severely lacks in comprehending what I am saying too and the discussion goes nowhere. He is on my ignore list, so I ignore all of his posts and have never replied to a single post of his in the two years he's been here.

400 LCAs is beyond sanctioned strength. Children like those numbers. Even 6 squadrons is asking for much. I have explained a bit of that in post #71. Anyway, at planned capacity, it would take 25 years at 16/year or 50 years at 8/year to get to 400.

For the entire LCA project, 200 LCAs is the best number shared between IAF, IN and exports if possible. The current official numbers is 178 as mentioned by HAL. 123 (40 Mk1 + 83 Mk2) for IAF, 53 (8 + 45) for IN. The remaining 2, I don't know where that fits, but 178 is the official figure today.

Any idea about the target for this year.
I believe 2 LCAs in April next year was planned. Currently the plan is to just get the IOC certificate as soon as possible. First LCA will be out 6 months after IOC is given. 2 more will follow after a year. Then 4 the next year, followed by 4 more after that and then 8 and 8 and 8 for a total of 40 aircraft. Production time period would be 6 years for the first 40. That's 2018. I suppose Mk2 production will commence after that. I don't know how the Naval requirement will be filled. I suppose their aircraft will be ready for induction only next decade. Event the lone Naval prototype is grounded as of today.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

You are talking to a guy who has worked in HAL.

This is how it works everywhere. Even US will take more than half a decade to reach their 1 aircraft per day for F-35.

It is already happening as we speak. HAL has planned a $6 Billion investment plan for increasing production. Our of the $6 Billion we are spending on FGFA, $2.5 Billion is for building production capability and design facilities for the FGFA program. The $6 Billion is separate and most of it will be used in producing 20 Rafales a year, maybe more if the demand presents itself. This is apart from a possible scale up of the LCA numbers from 8/year planned to 16/year by early next decade if LCA Mk2 succeeds.

Note that ADA has placed orders for only 9 F-414 engines due to the uncertainty in the progress of the LCA Mk2 program. The remaining 90 engines and 50 options will be exercised at a much later date.

I feel HAL should be disintegrated into multiple different firms and be bid for private acquisitions.
Not possible. It is too gargantuan and there is not a single private firm capable of handling HAL.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I consider him to be an idiot not worth responding to. Complete waste of time. He severely lacks in comprehending what I am saying too and the discussion goes nowhere. He is on my ignore list, so I ignore all of his posts and have never replied to a single post of his in the two years he's been here.
I don't want to say what I think about you, because everyone around here knows it,

I know why you won't reply to my posts because you have no replies.

400 LCAs is beyond sanctioned strength. Children like those numbers. Even 6 squadrons is asking for much. I have explained a bit of that in post #71. Anyway, at planned capacity, it would take 25 years at 16/year or 50 years at 8/year to get to 400.

Russians are planning to produce around 1000 FGFA s including exports.

So at 16 a year Sukhoi will take 50 years for FGFA

and

at 25 a year Sukhoi will take 40 years

to produce all those FGFAs by your logic,

If you turn around and say no no Sukhoi will produce them at faster rate, You have to answer if firm orders are given what stops HAl from increasing production capacity to 30 or 40 fighters a year.

Thats why most of your comments are crap AFAIk.
For the entire LCA project, 200 LCAs is the best number shared between IAF, IN and exports if possible. The current official numbers is 178 as mentioned by HAL. 123 (40 Mk1 + 83 Mk2) for IAF, 53 (8 + 45) for IN. The remaining 2, I don't know where that fits, but 178 is the official figure today.

If Rupee touches 70 0r 80 a dollar then there will be no justification in going for 200 rafales at the same cost of 500 Tejas mk-2s which will have same Thrust to weight ratio and higher top speeds with same radome dia when compared to RAFALE

And in those circumstances orders for tejas mk-2 will increase many fold if stuff like external stealth weapon bays are added to much more powerful tejas mk-2 then there will be no justification for the rip off called RAFALE deal.

Since most of the long range strike roles will be split between the 270 odd SU-30 MKIs and long range cruise missiles like Nirbhay there is no justification for going for the extremely costly RAFALE buy.

And since you have already posted that you write without even knowing full specs of Tejas mk-2 which will be in the same class as Grippen Ng, you are even more ill equipped to calculate your at the most export numbers as well.
I believe 2 LCAs in April next year was planned. Currently the plan is to just get the IOC certificate as soon as possible. First LCA will be out 6 months after IOC is given. 2 more will follow after a year. Then 4 the next year, followed by 4 more after that and then 8 and 8 and 8 for a total of 40 aircraft. Production time period would be 6 years for the first 40. That's 2018. I suppose Mk2 production will commence after that. I don't know how the Naval requirement will be filled. I suppose their aircraft will be ready for induction only next decade. Event the lone Naval prototype is grounded as of today.
Obviously you have neither read the Avinash Chander interview which clearly states that all bottle necks for serial production are cleared and a few serial production tejas Mk-1 will arrive on this year end,

And already plans are afoot to ramp up capacity to produce 25 an year,

So this 2 this year , 2 next year, 4 the year next production shedule of yours is fit for lalal land.

Since there is no rocket science involved in tejas mk-2 modification which will simply keep the same wing loading which means most of the testing points can be shortened .

Also most of the teething troubles were licked in Mk-1 itself with no big problems remaining in MK-2 it will get it's IOC very quickly like the Sukhoi PAKFA which is about to be delivered to Russian airforce next year (but it has finished just 500 odd test flights till date.)

So the time for navel gazing has long gone for tejas biters.

Last edited:

raghavK.dua

Lets say 150mki & 150 rafales at start , In war the number could go below 100mki and 100 rafales due to combat loses at the same time China will be chunking out 100 J-10 and J-11 a month ..

At the end of the day, Who will have air superiority ? there is not much to guess..

If I am not wrong India already have license to manufacture MKI'S and India can manufacture Rafales under transfer of technology agreements.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
License manufacturing comes with its own flaws ..

1. Restricted number of aircraft as per license agreement, One need the permission for making more aircraft ..
2. Restriction on modifications on aircraft, One cannot do modification without permission ..

If I am not wrong India already have license to manufacture MKI'S and India can manufacture Rafales under transfer of technology agreements.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles