Uma Bharati could be BJP's CM candidate for UP assembly polls

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Galaxy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Uma Bharati could be BJP's CM candidate for UP assembly polls

7 DEC, 2011

LUCKNOW: Bharatiya Janata Party leader Uma Bharati may contest from Uttar Pradesh in the upcoming assembly polls in the state, people familiar with the development told ET.

The move aims at consolidating the party's core Hindu support base, attracting Backward caste votes and reinvigorating the cadre. It comes amid murmurs of discontent within the BJP over her appointment as the party's campaign chief.

Political analysts say Bharati was chosen over other senior leaders from the state to counter the aggressive Bahujan Samaj Party leader and chief minister Mayawati and Congress party scion Rahul Gandhi, who is trying hard to revive the party in the state. A firebrand leader but considered an outsider in UP, Bharti was favoured over several high-profile leaders like Rajnath Singh, Kalraj Mishra, Lalji Tandon and Vinay Katiyar, who have a limited appeal in the state.

But speaking to ET, Bharati, who is a former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh, said she also belongs to UP.

"I belong to both UP and Madhya Pradesh," Bharati said. "It is my birthplace as I was born in Sadgora Guda village, which lies on the border of UP and MP." She said her village lies partly in Tikamgarh district of MP and Lalitpur in UP. BJP is actively considering to field Bharati from an assembly constituency in Lalitpur or Ghazipur in eastern UP
    , people quoted earlier said.

The BJP was relegated to the third position in the last state election after BSP and the Mulayam Singh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party. Bharati refused to comment on both her candidature and possible projection as the party's chief ministerial nominee. BJP president Nitin Gadkari had paved Bharati's return to the party after her expulsion in 2005 following a bitter public spat with LK Advani.

She was initially deputed to help the party's campaign in UP, in what was then seen as an attempt to keep her away from Madhya Pradesh where chief minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan was wary of her return to state politics. Since then, however, her role in UP has grown. Gadkari recently said the elections in the state will be fought under the collective leadership of Bharati, Rajnath Singh, Kalraj Mishra and state BJP chief Surya Pratap Shahi.

Uma Bharati could be BJP's CM candidate for UP assembly polls - The Economic Times

3. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Good move. 10 years back she squeezed Congress and Diggy in undivided M.P. so much that Diggy took sanyas for 10 years and Congress never recovered. She is the one who can reverse the trend and succeed. Hope for the best.

4. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Mayawati FTW!!!!!!

5. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Mayawati vs Uma Bharti vs Digvijay Singh (?)

Take your pick :scared1:

And more ego-maniacal statues at the cost of hundreds of crores in one of the most under-developed states in India..

FTW ..Hell yeah.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Vs A glorified thug, A guy who'd blame RSS if his toilet runs out of water and well...Uma Bharti?
    Hamari Behen Susri Kumari Sri Mayawati Ji, FTW for sure.

7. Poseidon

Poseidon Regular Member

8. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Meaning you should elect new leaders and not one of these two fools.

About Um Bharti I honestly don't know how she ran MP, so can't comment now.

Anyway with these kinda people in helm UP can hardly develop or improve. Bihar has already started developing and MP under Shivraj Chauhan is also doing good. It's only a matter of time when 'BI' & 'MA' are cut off and 'BIMARU' becomes just 'RU'

9. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

At least it we will help UP to rid of that manhoose ...

10. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Believe it or not Mayawati has done some development in UP.
    Can someone enlighten us about Uma Bharti's antecedents ?

11. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Mayawati may be what she is, but everyone from UP I had a chance to speak to said despite everything she's the best administrator UP had in decades.

12. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Believe it or not, there are some of us from the state of U.P, who are fully aware that the lady has done sod all.

And no. NOIDA does not count because it developed inspite of the government.

13. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Don't know whom to believe. Half the UPites I know say that Mayawati is shitty, and the other half say she is awesome.

All of them agree that she is a megalomaniac and very narcissistic. But then, many people also inform me that she has done a great deal for law and order in the state. There is one friend who keeps telling me about how she got the entire Lukhnow dug up to change the drainage system in record time. And then, there are the people who say that she is utterly useless. :confused:

And the last time I visited core UP was in late 1990s (not counting Noida here, not counting the drive to Haridwar-Rishikesh either).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011