Ukraine postpones 'trade suicide', halts talks with EU

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Apparently Lviv, on the western edge of Ukraine, is seceding from the rest of the country.

Ukrainian bond yields and CDS contracts (both of which measure the risk of sovereign default) are surging, showing that bond investors are taking the news seriously.

We could be seeing a civil war soon...
@Akim Could you please confirm the news ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Apparently Lviv, on the western edge of Ukraine, is seceding from the rest of the country.

Ukrainian bond yields and CDS contracts (both of which measure the risk of sovereign default) are surging, showing that bond investors are taking the news seriously.

We could be seeing a civil war soon...
You mean a single oblast wants to secede from Ukraine, I doubt that. Please post source if you have 'em.

Western Ukr was never really part of the Russian empire and this is the reason for the East-West division in Ukr. The East (and South) of Ukr has strong attachments to Russia and even show tendencies to rejoin Russia.
But if West secedes (as of now, I doubt that is going to happen), then Russia should ensure that the East eventually joins Russia or at least is pro-Russia unlike West Ukr.

t_co

You mean a single oblast wants to secede from Ukraine, I doubt that. Please post source if you have 'em.

Western Ukr was never really part of the Russian empire and this is the reason for the East-West division in Ukr. The East (and South) of Ukr has strong attachments to Russia and even show tendencies to rejoin Russia.
But if West secedes (as of now, I doubt that is going to happen), then Russia should ensure that the East eventually joins Russia or at least is pro-Russia unlike West Ukr.
Ukraine region declares independence from Yanukovych govt - Livemint

Minsk: Lawmakers in Ukraine's Lviv region declared independence from President Viktor Yanukovych's government after backers evicted the appointed governor and seized the security service's headquarters overnight in support of protests in the capital Kiev.
Lviv's parliament formed an executive committee with department heads in governor Oleh Salo's administration that will take over the functions of the regional government, Oksana Dmetryv, a spokeswoman for Speaker Petro Kolodiy, said on Wednesday by phone from Lviv, the regional capital. The region of Lviv, bordering Poland, has a population of 2.5 million.

t_co

@Razor

Russia may face a civil war on its doorstep if security conditions in Ukraine continue to deteriorate.

This could be payback from the US for thwarting its goals Syria - split Ukraine apart and unleash bloodletting, with the hope it weakens Putin.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Ukraine truce fails, rioters renew offensive in Kiev, death toll rises to 35

The battle for Kiev's Independence Square has reignited as rioters clash with security forces amid sniper fire. The death toll has increased to 35, the Ukrainian Health Ministry confirmed.

It has also announced that 505 people have been injured in the turmoil, with around 300 of those admitted to hospital.

Rioters have reached the Rada building (the country's parliament), while the police have been pushed back into Mariinsky park nearby. An emergency evacuation has been declared and parliament members and employees are leaving the building.

Protesters hurled rocks and Molotov cocktails at the police on Thursday morning as violence broke out once again in spite of the day of mourning that had been declared as a mark of respect for the 35 people who have died in the unrest. Ambulances have been sent to Maidan and video footage shows several people carried away on stretchers. Police are throwing tear gas grenades at protesters, according to Unian news agency.

Protesters pushed security forces off Independence Square and seized Oktyabrsky Palace - a major concert hall in the Ukrainian capital - and Hotel Ukraine. Gunfire can be heard throughout the Ukrainian capital.

Furthermore, a dozen police officers have reportedly been captured by demonstrators on Independence Square.

The Interior Ministry of Ukraine said that at least 23 police officers had been injured by sniper fire on Independence Square. The protesters are "openly using fire arms against the Berkut [Special Forces]," wrote the Interior Ministry in a statement.

"The injured are currently receiving emergency medical help," said the Interior Ministry.

Police say that the sniper fire originated from the roof of Kiev's Conservatory and targeted officers. The Ukrainian opposition claims that protesters were also caught in the gunfire.

"I think the opposition has crossed the line. I think the policy of negotiations has exhausted itself," said the deputy head of the Party of Regions, Oleg Tsarev, in parliament.

Ukrainian President Victor Yanukovich met with opposition leaders on Wednesday evening where a temporary truce was agreed to mourn the victims of the mass unrest. Hardline opposition group Right Sector rejected the truce and urged its followers to continue the offensive.

In response to the continuing violence in Ukraine, the international community has threatened sanctions if both sides do not return to the negotiation table.
http://rt.com/news/ukraine-maidan-rioters-offensive-880/

The situation is deteriorating beyond control. It is time the Ukrainian government start growing balls and crush these violent usurpers.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Rioters thrashed, handcuffed governor of Ukrainian region to make him resign

A governor of a western Ukrainian region who tried to calm down a raging mob of rioters was severely beaten and handcuffed to a protest stage. His family could also be under threat as insurgents are reportedly looking for them.

When a 30,000-strong mob attempted to storm regional police headquarters in the city of Lutsk in the Volyn region of western Ukraine, Governor Aleksandr Bashkalenko sided with law enforcement and tried to uphold the law.

Standing on the front staircase of the police building, Bashkalenko attempted to temper the rioters. But the insurgents began shouting "kneel down", and then knocked him over and seized the civil servant, while beating him from all sides.
The rioters manhandled Bashkalenko to a stage used by the opposition during rallies. They doused him with water, exposing him to the cold as revenge for police using fire-hoses to repel the attackers in Kiev, and cuffed him to the stage.

According to our beloved Western media, these are your average peaceful protesters. :tsk:

http://rt.com/news/lutsk-ukraine-governor-captured-889/

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Threats of sanctions against Ukraine look like blackmail - Lavrov

Threats of sanctions against the Ukrainian government look like blackmail, and a demand for early elections is a way to force Kiev towards the EU, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said. The sanctions will only encourage extremists, he added.

Lavrov on Thursday blasted the sanctions against Ukraine, some of which have already been imposed by the US, and are now being eyed by the EU, as "double standards." Such actions will only encourage extremists to continue violence in the country, he said.

Not only are such threats "inappropriate," but also will aggravate the conflict in Ukraine, Lavrov said earlier.

There is "no doubt" there is a "plain coup attempt" going on in Ukraine, with armed rioters widely using firearms, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Aleksandr Lukashevich, has said.
http://rt.com/news/ukraine-blackmail-west-sanctions-910/

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
@Razor

Russia may face a civil war on its doorstep if security conditions in Ukraine continue to deteriorate.

This could be payback from the US for thwarting its goals Syria - split Ukraine apart and unleash bloodletting, with the hope it weakens Putin.
Ukrainians should stop all this and work together and hold talks and both sides should come on a common solution

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Ukrainians should stop all this and work together and hold talks and both sides should come on a common solution

The scenarios most often do not work, these are times of power transition so when two forces collide the weaker one will make way for the strong one. When talks are held and some compromise is reached the resultant govt. may not have the complete control so that it can deliver good governance.

It is "struggle for existence" scenario.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
The scenarios most often do not work, these are times of power transition so when two forces collide the weaker one will make way for the strong one. When talks are held and some compromise is reached the resultant govt. may not have the complete control so that it can deliver good governance.

It is "struggle for existence" scenario.
I don't have much knowledge what is going on in Ukraine and what they are trying to achieve but i just hope that the life of people have to be improved.

amoy

Will Crimea become the next South Ossetia?

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukr...come-more-politically-independent-335344.html

Just read Crimean parliamentary speaker voiced possible secession of Crimea from Ukraine to join Russia just in case..

Worried by Ukraine violence, Russia ponders next steps | Reuters

At Yanukovych's request, Russia's President Putin sending envoy to Kiev as mediator - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Vide

China the biggest customer for Ukraine's military Industryhttp://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140119000024&cid=1101&ei=z9gGU4ijII7Pk

DIVIDING UKRAINE?

One Kremlin aide, Sergei Glazyev, has floated the idea that Ukraine could become a federation giving more power to its regions - a move, he said, that might enable mainly Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine to join Putin's trading bloc.

That call has been taken up by parliamentarians in Moscow, fuelling speculation that this - or some form of annexation of Russia-speaking areas - may have the Kremlin's backing.

A former Putin adviser, Andrei Illarionov, has quoted unidentified Kremlin sources as saying a "solution" to the Ukrainian question must be found.

The options, he says, could include the "federalization" of Ukraine to establish control over eastern and southern regions or otherwise trying to control Ukrainian cities with large Russian-speaking populations.

Western observers are also worried by calls in Crimea for the region to again become Russian territory, nearly six decades after Kremlin leader Nikita Khrushchev redrew internal Soviet boundaries in order to gift the peninsula to Ukraine.

Although Moscow has not responded to those calls, Russia would have reasons to embrace Crimea - Moscow's Black Sea fleet is based in the Crimean port of Sevastopol.

Civil war or a coup in Ukraine might also threaten other Russian industrial interests in eastern Ukraine, such as factories which have contracts with the Russian military.

Last edited:

nrupatunga

Some details of the leaked call between usa diplomats. Shows how usa is moving things behind the scenes. Things like who is better for them once those people are " placed" etc.

Ukraine Power Play Is Focus of 'F--- the EU' Leaked Call
When the now infamous "F--- the EU" conversation between American diplomats first surfaced this month, attention was focused on the presumed Russian leakers' Cold War-era "tradecraft" and the impolitic use of the F-word.

But taking a closer look at the substance of the conversation between U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland and U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt now that the turmoil in Ukraine is center-stage reminds that the discussion focuses on the disparate opposition leaders and how the U.S. might play them to suit American interests.

Much of the leaked conversation centers around Vitali Klitschko, the former heavyweight boxing champ and a major leader of the opposition movement, who Nuland believes is essentially not ready for the big leagues.

The diplomats discuss "personality management" of Klitschko and other opposition leaders Arseniy Yatseniuk and Oleh Tiahnybok.

The leak clearly starts mid-conversation with Nuland asking, "Whaddya think?"

Pyatt replies, "I think we're in play. The Klitschko piece is obviously the complicated electron here..." He explains how he wants Nuland to have a have a phone call with the former heavyweight.

Nuland replies: "I don't think Klitsch [Klitschko] should go into the government. I don't think it's a good idea."

Pyatt replies: "Yeah. I guess... in terms of him not going into the government - let him stay out and do his political homework and stuff. I'm just thinking in terms of sort of the process moving ahead, we want to keep the moderate democrats together. The problem is going to be Tiahnybok [Oleh, leader of the far-right Svoboda Party] his guys and I'm sure that's part of what [President Viktor] Yanukovych is calculating on all of this."

Nuland breaks in: "I think Yats [Yatseniuk] is the guy who's got the economic experience, the governing experience. He's the guy. You know, what he needs is Klitsch and Tiahnybok on the outside. He needs to be talking to them four times a week, you know. I just think Klitch going in, he's going to be at that level, working for Yats and Yuk, it's just not going to work."

Pyatt replies: "Yeah, no. I think that's right"¦"

Later Pyatt adds: "I think just knowing the dynamic that's been with them where Klitschko has been the top dog, he's going to take a while to show up for whatever meetings they've got and he's probably talking to his guys at this point. So I think you reaching out directly to him helps with the personality management among the three"¦"

The conversation goes on to discuss a new U.N. envoy and the infamous "F--- the EU" comment, conveying frustration with the European Union's efforts to find a diplomatic solution to the burgeoning crisis.
EDIT: I see that post #53 by @Razor also has similar news. Though there are few minor differences in the article.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
west is supporting extremeists and trying to topple the govt there since it isn't a lackey of the west. same as in syria.
I think its better that now Ukraine leader has announced early presidential poll and now people can choose via vote in peaceful way instead of the violence. Fair elections should be held.

amoy

I think its better that now Ukraine leader has announced early presidential poll and now people can choose via vote in peaceful way instead of the violence Fair elections should be held.
so hold a poll whenever there's street violence to appease the opposition? ? why can't protesters play by the rules to wait for the next election (a year ahead?) to vote Yanukovych out or amend the constitution since Ukraina is already a "democracy"?

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
so hold a poll whenever there's street violence to appease the opposition? ? why can't protesters play by the rules to wait for the next election (a year ahead?) to vote Yanukovych out or amend the constitution since Ukraina is already a "democracy"?

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
We can keep on talking about the past but what is needed now it has to be done, more than 100 people are dead and hundreds of thousands are living in fear and sufferings . :sad::sad: this has to stop.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Yanukovych - a traitor! He betrayed the people who voted for him, he betrayed the Constitution, he betrayed the police who protect order in the capital. He feared offensive opposition, which hundreds of victims, eager for power. But, blaming their death, will be the current government.
My statement is largely emotional, but now feel many people in the south-east of the country.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles