UK US TOPS in Obese, unhealthiest babies in the world

James-bond

Country flag
UK tops league of shame for unhealthy children: We're among the worst in the West for obesity and breastfeeding
  • The UK is one of the unhealthiest nations for children in the Western world
  • Report found our breastfeeding rates are lower than most other countries
  • International analysis found UK lags behind most other developed countries
By Sophie Borland Health Editor For The Daily Mail

PUBLISHED: 00:11 GMT, 15 March 2018 | UPDATED: 01:43 GMT, 15 March 2018

The UK is one of the unhealthiest nations for children in the Western world, a report has found.

Our breastfeeding rates are lower than most other countries, while childhood obesity rates are significantly higher.

Baby girls in the UK have the shortest life expectancies in Western Europe, and die an average of three years earlier than girls in Spain.

The first international analysis has found the UK lagging behind most other developed countries in key measures of child health.

The UK is one of the unhealthiest nations for children in the Western world, a report has found

Undertaken by the Nuffield Trust think-tank, it examined 16 indicators including breastfeeding rates, obesity, life expectancy and birth defects caused by a lack of folic acid.

The UK’s breastfeeding rates were found to be the worst out of the 14 countries with data available, with only 1 per cent of babies given breast milk exclusively at five months.

This compares with 34 per cent in Portugal, 26 per cent in Canada, 18 per cent in the Netherlands and 12 per cent in Belgium.

Obesity rates for girls meanwhile were the second worst of 15 countries, only behind the US. A total of 29.2 per cent of girls under 18 in the UK are classed as overweight or obese.

For boys the figure is slightly lower at 26.1 per cent, and this is the eighth worst.

The analysis also found that rates of a common birth defect linked to a lack of folic acid were the second highest after France. An average of 12.8 babies out of 10,000 in the UK are born with neural tube defects, which affect the brain, spine or spinal cord.

Our breastfeeding rates are lower than most other countries, while childhood obesity rates are significantly higher (file photo)

This is three times the rate of Spain where only four babies out of 10,000 are affected and foods are more commonly fortified with folic acid.

Lead author Dr Ronny Cheung said: ‘While international comparisons of health outcomes should be handled with care, this research has an unequivocal message: we must do much better for our children and young people.’

Nigel Edwards, chief executive of the Nuffield Trust, said: ‘Child health is notably absent from much policy thinking at the moment and we are now falling behind our peers when it comes to several vital measures. It’s time for policymakers to take child health seriously before our somewhat mediocre international standing becomes even worse.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...e-shame-unhealthy-children.html#ixzz59pWqM31b

James-bond

Country flag
UK,US and remaining so-called first world FAT Western countries are importing Immigrants to breed healthy babies. :rofl:

Their birth rate is falling,fat levels are increasing and economy stagnated etc.It's time to Asia lead the race.

Tibarn

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't know about Europe, but the US is very messed up... here is how it goes:

1) Farmers demand subsidies for votes --> 2) the Federal government subsidizes the agricultural industry ---> 3) farmers produces excess amounts of grains/vegetables, especially corn --> 4) there is so much excess corn, that the price of corn is so cheap, other industries can use it efficiently as a cheaper source of sugar by making it corn syrup --> 5) the companies buy/make corn syrup and flood all the food products with it --> 6) the companies then market their foods heavily and the stupid Americans eat it all up --> 7) they become obese and usually get diabetes --> 8) the US healthcare infrastructure gets overburdened with more and more unhealthy people ---> 9) healthcare costs rise --> 10) government intervenes to try to make healthcare more affordable for an increasingly unhealthy population --> 11) costs of healthcare rise even more with continued government intervention.

cycle restarts from 1)

Cheap, unhealthy, sugary foods keep getting cheaper in the US, while costs of healthcare keep going higher :frusty::sad:

James-bond

Country flag

1) Farmers demand subsidies for votes --> 2) the Federal government subsidizes the agricultural industry ---> 3) farmers produces excess amounts of grains/vegetables, especially corn --> 4) there is so much excess corn, that the price of corn is so cheap, other industries can use it efficiently as a cheaper source of sugar by making it corn syrup --> 5) the companies buy/make corn syrup and flood all the food products with it --> 6) the companies then market their foods heavily and the stupid Americans eat it all up --> 7) they become obese and usually get diabetes --> 8) the US healthcare infrastructure gets overburdened with more and more unhealthy people ---> 9) healthcare costs rise --> 10) government intervenes to try to make healthcare more affordable for an increasingly unhealthy population --> 11) costs of healthcare rise even more with continued government intervention.

cycle restarts from 1)

Cheap, unhealthy, sugary foods keep getting cheaper in the US, while costs of healthcare keep going higher :frusty::sad:
It is not government responsibility to control everything ............... that is depended on me ''how much i eat''.

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag

cycle restarts from 1)

1st one is huge problem in india lol i hate it

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

cycle restarts from 1)

Yeah the US has a sugar problem
At its height the sugar companies were even able to topple govts. (Regime change)
Search for United fruit company's and its history in south American and elsewhere
The term banana republic is related too..

Tibarn

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
1st one is huge problem in india lol i hate it
I don't like it either, but at least in India we can say that the farmers are poor so they may need some help... in the US a farmer's child can get a proper education and get a white collar job.

James-bond

Country flag
Interesting graph, even-though South Korea and Japan living standards are par with western world still they are not obese as west. May be Asians genes or food habits are good.:biggrin2:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Interesting graph, even-though South Korea and Japan living standards are par with western world still they are not obese as west. May be Asians genes or food habits are good.:biggrin2:
Watch these videos to understand why people of Japan are less obese compared to 'Muricans.

I assume some points are vaild for South Koreans,too.

Berkut

Country flag
I see a growing tide of well heeled white folks in NZ and Australia turning towards vegetarianism and veganism
The funny part is that seeing "gora sahab" eating vegetarian a lot of "modern","educated" sepoys are turning back to vegetarianism.
Vegetarianism is becoming "hella cool".

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
1st problem is women dont cook in home. Thats why all eat processed food. What is vegies is alien to entire west. Just chicken burger and pizza.
I am not a feminist but a firm believer that everybody should learn to cook. Why depend on somebody else to cook my food for me?
Gone are the days when I used to beg my sister to make Pav Bhaji for me.

James-bond

Country flag
^^ After 4 years bachelor life i good in almost all Indian dishes.

I see a growing tide of well heeled white folks in NZ and Australia turning towards vegetarianism and veganism
The funny part is that seeing "gora sahab" eating vegetarian a lot of "modern","educated" sepoys are turning back to vegetarianism.
Actually i think most non-veg Indians are also come into vegetarian category! .... As we mostly eat non-veg on Sunday only (weekly once that too with heavy rice) aka 95% vegetarian. :rofl:That is why we are the least meat eaters in the world per person 4kg/annum.

..Want to give-up meat due to animal cruelty but 100% anything is bad for health.

indiatester

Country flag

Actually i think most non-veg Indians are also come into vegetarian category! .... As we mostly eat non-veg on Sunday only (weekly once that too with heavy rice) aka 95% vegetarian. :rofl:That is why we are the least meat eaters in the world per person 4kg/annum.

..Want to give-up meat due to animal cruelty but 100% anything is bad for health.
True.
Even when our non-vegetarians eat meat, the quantity is pretty low. Most of the food is made up of vegetarian component with meat being only a small part. I doubt anyone here can just eat steak and survive.

dhananjay1

Coolies follow their masters. Coolie sees some brown dehati smoking ganja - so disgusting, uneducated people, soch badalni padegi. Coolie sees some whites smoking marijuana - so cool, it's medicinal, legalize it bro, muh freedom.

IndiaRising

Country flag
red meat is biggest contributor to climate change . mass production of cows takes a big toll on the environment.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/studies-link-red-meat-and-climate-change-20264

WiseMan

Country flag
This is another end of spectrum;
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...ls-north-korea-bangladesh/article19846437.ece

India has a “serious” hunger problem and ranks 100th out of 119 countries on the global hunger index — behind North Korea, Bangladesh and Iraq but ahead of Pakistan, according to a report.

The country’s serious hunger level is driven by high child malnutrition and underlines need for stronger commitment to the social sector, the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) said in its report.

India stood at 97th position in last year’s rankings.

“India is ranked 100th out of 119 countries, and has the third highest score in all of Asia — only Afghanistan and Pakistan are ranked worse,” IFPRI said in a statement.

“At 31.4, India’s 2017 GHI (Global Hunger Index) score is at the high end of the ‘serious’ category, and is one of the main factors pushing South Asia to the category of worst performing region on the GHI this year, followed closely by Africa South of the Sahara,” it added.

As per the report, India ranks below many of its neighbouring countries such as China (29th rank), Nepal (72), Myanmar (77), Sri Lank (84) and Bangladesh (88). It is ahead of Pakistan (106) and Afghanistan (107).

North Korea ranks 93rd while Iraq is at 78th position.

The GHI, now in its 12th year, ranks countries based on four key indicators — undernourishment, child mortality, child wasting and child stunting.

The report ranked 119 countries in the developing world, nearly half of which have ‘extremely alarming,’ ‘alarming’ or ’serious’ hunger levels.

“India’s high ranking on the Global Hunger Index [GHI] again this year brings to the fore the disturbing reality of the country’s stubbornly high proportions of malnourished children,” the statement said.

IFPRI pointed out that more than one-fifth of Indian children under five weigh too little for their height and over a third are too short for their age.

“Even with the massive scale up of national nutrition-focused programmes in India, drought and structural deficiencies have left large number of poor in India at risk of malnourishment in 2017,” said P.K. Joshi, IFPRI Director for South Asia.

However, he said that the on-going efforts are expected to make significant changes in improving the existing situation.

Mr. Joshi appreciated that India has developed and launched an action plan on ‘undernourishment free India’ by 2022. The plan shows stronger commitment and greater investments in tackling malnutrition in the coming years.

“As of 2015-16, more than a fifth [21%] of children in India suffer from wasting [low weight for height] — up from 20% in 2005-2006,” IFPRI said.

Only three other countries in this year’s GHI — Djibouti, Sri Lanka and South Sudan — show child wasting above 20%. India’s child wasting rate has not shown any substantial improvement over the past 25 years.

However, India has made considerable improvement in reducing its child stunting rate, down 29% since 2000, but even that progress leaves India with a relatively high stunting rate of 38.4.

Interestingly, NYT had a report published stating that reason for malnutrition in India and other S. Asian countries was not lack of caloric intake but lack of hygiene, leading to constant state of gastrointestinal infections. This leads to body diverting its energy surviving the infections and not growth.
Eventually, all developing nations will have low hunger and higher obesity rates.

Berkut

Country flag

Bro turning vegetarian 2 years ago has had immense positive impacts on me. Being a bong I grew up in a meat, fish eating household.
Before anyone gives you the protein argument, since turning vegetarian I have completed:
1. 2 full marathons
2. One 2 km North Bondi ocean swim

I feel fitter at 35 than I have ever felt before.

The impacts on mood n concentration are immense

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Gujarat is heaven for vegetarians as majority of people are vegetarian here + our couisin is rich of various vegetarian mouth watering dishes.

Being a Gujarati guy,i'm a vegetarian but not a healthy one due to fuckin' excessive sugar in our food (I'm 170 cm and my weight is 80 kg :sad:,highest in my family).Also,Gujarat tops in diabetes only because of that.

those who're willing to turn to vegetarian lifestyle,AVOID EXCESSIVE SUGAR IN FOOD AT ALL COST!

Global Defence

Articles