UK: Study reveals jobs plight of Muslims

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by parijataka, Oct 13, 2012.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Old article but interesting stats. In terms of employment, Indian Hindus do better than Indian Muslims who do better than Indian Sikhs. Pakistani Muslims three time more likely to be unemployed than Hindus and Indian Muslims two times more likely than Hindus. Pakistani and Bangladeshi Muslims have the highest unemployment. More than a third of Bangladeshi men employed as cooks or waiters. 20% of Bangladeshi women employed vs 80% of Caribbean women. Read on.

Study reveals jobs plight of Muslims20 February 2002 16.59 GMT

3. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Are we talking about discrimination here or apathy from the Government?

4. parijataka

^^^
    Various factors are listed -
    • Religion i.e. Islam, to some extent as Indian Muslims have lesser unempolyment than Indian Sikhs.
    • Pakistanis and Bangladeshis continuing to be in sectors that were declining i.e. textiles and clothing
    • Cultural, few BD women working in paid jobs outside the home.
    • Racial discrimination in some areas

However, black women despite large proportion being single mothers, did very well and earned more than white women and Indian women.

5. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

^^ As far as Sikhs are concerned, the problem is that there are too many Khalistani type useless people in the UK. Otherwise, in all other nations, Sikhs do as well as their Hindu counterparts, and certainly much better than Paki and BD Muslims.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

A rather revealing statistics.

They may have had a Thacher, but they could have called Sachar for an in depth study and bring out the injustice.

7. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

might only be because of higher literacy rate of indians

indians literacy rate is better than both pakistani and Bengali

8. Ray

But literacy is not a God given gft.

It is acquired through desire to be educated and intelligent, capable of facing the world and life head on.

I am a Bengali and I am not an illiterate compared to any other Indian.

So, what is this about Bengalis?

devgupt likes this.
  9. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

Sorry i meant the Bangladeshi

India has invested more into education than Pakistan and Bangladesh hence a better literacy rate than both

which in turn into better jobs when compared with less or uneducated pakistani or Bangladeshis

10. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

This is over a decade old article. Sikhs are the second richest community in the UK after the Jews. There is already a thread on this topic with fairly recent studies.

==
    Are you suggesting there is a link between radicalization and wealth ? I haven't seen any proof ?

11. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I believe what he may be trying to say is that most of the relatively impoverished Sikhs in UK maybe those who sought asylum there in the name of Khalistan and they continue to peddle Khalistani activism for their livelihood, with dimisnishing returns. Though, to be honest I am not sure there is enough evidence to that effect.

12. Ray

Actually, what it maybe just my observation, but when there was emigration at its peak in India, I had to visit the airport in Delhi for work.

What I saw was a huge amount of people leaving for the UK and of them, the Punjabis were a largest and even uncontrollable numbers.

Since the flights were at night to the UK, mostly by Syrian Arab, the airport floor had these people sleeping on the floor like one sees at the railway stations at night.

Interesting was the sight where not only repeated announcements were made for the passengers, but also the airline staff used to go around the sleeping people, waking them up to check if they were their passengers and hoarding them off as enmass!

And most of those who were emigrating were of the lower strata of society.

Therefore, to expect such people to be hot shots at the 3Rs is expecting too much!

Likewise, there offsprings may too have had that type of an attitude since those I saw were not the type who thought education was essential for earning the bread and instead it was physical labour that did the trick of earning money and which was guaranteed whereas education was chancy.

Even at Heathrow, you would find Asians were the hygiene workers, if you understand what I mean.

I maybe totally wrong, but that was my observations.

Nowadays, when I see Indian origin people interacting on British TV as bystanders etc, you can distinctly make out from their accent that they are not of the better classes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    hit&run and parijataka like this.
  13. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

Chinese are very successful when they migrate. They start their own business either selling cheap Chinese fried food, that really isn't Chinese, or they sell cheap knock-off products they get from their supplier. These people are entrepreneurs selling cheap stuff, how can you beat a personal Walmart with direct connections to the supplier?

That article seems like a hierarchy of religion. If you are Christian you make more than anyone, everything else in the middle and Muslims at the bottom. It is an interesting debate the Chinese are having. Many in the Politburo are saying that adopting Christianity is the religion of wealth and consumerism. Stomping out poor Islam with Christian missionaries is a policy that seems supported by the government. Islam just seems to support ignorance, especially towards women. But then you look at countries like Iran where women are highly educated, but then that might be the difference between Sunni and Shia. It is tough to figure out but interesting.

14. parijataka

Singh ji, many of the South Asians who migrated to UK were blue collar workers rather than professionals - across faiths. Compared them to the class of Indians who migrate to US they are definitely less educated. Again, like you said the study is more than a decade old. This does not seem to be about faith or colour as Indian Muslims do better than Pakistani or Bangladeshi while black Caribbean are the most successful women doing even better than white women.

15. parijataka

Chinese have always been successful through history few thousand years before Jesus Christ was even born - their Buddhist-Confucian roots gave them a pragmatic outlook to life IMO. Europe blossomed only when it threw off the yoke of religion in the Middle Ages. Galileo having to recant his Earth revolving around the Sun by the Catholic church is well known. USA was settled by Christians who were not allowed to practise their brand of the Christian faith. Christianity was neither tolerant nor given to not interfering in secular matters such as scientific research. Lot of Africans have been converted to Christianity in the past 100-200 years by European missionaries. If Christianity was a such a boon then African countries and not China should have been super powers.

This is what the Japanese monk Shaku Soen, a Buddhist, had to say at the turn of the century regarding Abrahaimic religions -
    ..there was a tiger in the form of Christianity at the front door and a fox in the form of Islam at the back door, which gave no hope for Buddhists in Asia.

16. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

It was the Reformation that allowed Christianity to become more open minded to science and the Enlightenment that advanced its acceptance. It is a religion that evolves rather than devolves that breeds success which is why Christianity has become the religion of the wealthiest and technologically advanced society. China embraced the philosophy of Confucianism for many centuries which stunted its development. They had a treasure fleet that ruled the seas from the bottom of Africa to the Far East. They had information flow from all corners of the known world and Confucius xenophobia ended it all sending China back into retardation. Christian Europe embraced those connections and knowledge which advanced it to its current dominance.

South Korea embraced Christianity which saw a meteoric rise among developed nations. China is converting faster than any country on Earth and it grows at astounding rates. Brazil grows by leaps and bounds becoming a major economic force. Russia tried doing without Christianity and watched its empire collapse, now it grows with its embrace. Africa is unable to achieve what these countries have because they are intertwined with Islamic terrorists that won't let the nations stablise. South Africa is far enough away to steer clear of this and they grow at a quick pace. If the GDP of Christian nations is compared to all other national religions combined, it dwarfs it. This is not just coincidence.

17. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

That is mainly because Indians when they go out, they are skilled, qualified and hard working while most Pakistani and Bangla migrants use refugee fake status, or some other method to migrate and then live off state benefits.

18. Ray

That is why Martin Luther revolted and you had Protestants emerging.

Further, even now the Catholic Church is riddled with orthodoxy.

But, of late, they are also seeing Light.

They forget that God said Let there be light and so there was Light.

They are realising that by saying umpteen times Hail Mary is not the sole answer to salvation!

For any religion to flourish, it must be contemporary and not be locked in obscurantism!

If Christians do well, it is because the Christian schools impart quality education.

And Christian hospitals ensure good health amongst Christians.

Education and good health generating mental fertility is what gives one a job!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012