UK investigates 'SAS link' to Golden Temple attack

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
MP Tom Watson told the BBC recently declassified documents showed Britain had advised Delhi on planning the raid.

The storming of the Golden Temple was aimed at flushing out Sikh separatists.

The controversial raid outraged Sikhs around the world, who accused troops of desecrating the faith's holiest shrine.

The Indian government said about 400 people were killed in the raid - codenamed Operation Blue Star - including 87 soldiers. Sikh groups dispute this figure and say thousands died, including a large number of pilgrims who were visiting the temple.
BBC News - India Golden Temple: UK investigates 'SAS link' to attack

I actually read this story as it appeared in The New York Times. I thought it would be under discussion on DFI when I got back from Florida last week.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/w...role-in-deadly-raid-on-india-temple.html?_r=0
Thirty years after Indian troops stormed the Golden Temple at Amritsar, leaving hundreds dead, the British government said Tuesday that it would open an investigation after the release of documents suggesting that British special forces had helped to draw up a plan to attack the building.

The June 1984 raid on the temple, the holiest shrine for Sikhs, was intended to flush out separatists and, according to the Indian government, killed about 400 people. Sikh groups estimate that many more were killed, and the raid caused outrage among Sikhs around the world.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles