UK can run but it cannot hide

trackwhack

Moody's threatens to Downgrade UK

With 510% of GDP as debt, how long can Britain postpone Bankruptcy? GOI should put together a sovereign fund that has a 70% porivatre stake from our big industry like Reliance, Tata, Bharti, IT cos etc to start secret negotiations with the UK to buy up assets before China undercuts them.

Moody’s threatens to downgrade UK - FT.com

Moody's put the UK, France and Austria on negative outlook late on Monday night, raising the prospect that the three countries would lose their triple A ratings due to exposure to the eurozone debt crisis.
It is the first time that the heavily indebted UK has been placed on negative credit outlook by a big rating agency since the eurozone crisis erupted.

George Osborne, the UK chancellor, said the move supported the government's tough austerity measures and was "a reality check for anyone who thinks Britain can duck confronting its debts".
But Ed Balls, Labour's shadow chancellor, described the decision as a "significant warning to a chancellor who himself made balancing the books by 2015 and the views of the credit rating agencies the key benchmarks for the success of his economic policy".
He added: "We have consistently argued that the chancellor's gamble – raising taxes and cutting spending too far and too fast – would backfire because without a balanced plan that promotes jobs and economic growth the government will not succeed in getting the deficit down."
Mr Osborne told the BBC on Tuesday morning however that it was wrong to pretend there was a 'false choice' between growth and reducing national debt.
"The idea that I'm not behind growth is ridiculous...that's what I spend every day of my life trying to bring about," he said. Mr Osborne admitted there was no 'easy route' out of the uk's economic difficulties.
A negative outlook means that Moody's could downgrade the UK in the next 12 to 18 months. The country now shares the same outlook from the rating agency as the US and France.
Yves Lemay, managing director for European sovereigns at Moody's, said: "The signal is there is pressure on the rating, but we do recognise that the UK's triple A has some resiliency."
Sterling fell to a two-week low against the dollar, falling to $1.5685, before recouping some of the losses. The yield on 10-year gilts was little changed at 2.13 per cent.
French finance minister François Baroin said France's triple A rating was maintained by Moody's because of factors including "the size of its economy" and its "increased productivity". He added that the French government was "determined to press ahead with its actions to boost growth and competitiveness".
Moody's said in a statement: "The primary driver underlying Moody's decision to change the outlook on the UK's [triple A] rating to negative is the weaker macroeconomic environment, which will challenge the government's efforts to place its debt burden on a downward trajectory over the coming years."
It added that the UK was vulnerable to the eurozone and that its outstanding debt placed it among the most heavily indebted of its triple A-rated peers.
"Although the UK is outside the euro area, the high risk of further shocks, economic, financial, or political within the currency union are exerting negative pressure on the UK's [triple A] rating given the country's trade and financial links with the euro area."
The euro and pound both dropped about 0.3 per cent against the dollar in thin early trading in Asia.
"Moody's tends to be more conservative than S&P but it's trailblazing here by placing the UK on a negative [outlook]," said Kathy Lien, director for currency research at GFT Forex.
Moody's also downgraded a number of eurozone countries including Italy, Spain and Portugal.
Italy was cut to A2 from A3, Portugal cut to Ba3 from Ba2, Spain downgraded to A3 from A1. Slovakia, Slovenia and Malta also had their ratings cut with negative outlooks.
The move by Moody's comes after Standard & Poor's downgraded France and Austria, one notch to double A, last month.
Moody's two notch downgrade of Spain places it rating one notch below that of S&P.
Mr Lemay of Moody's said the tough economic outlook facing the eurozone was particularly acute for Spain, with an unemployment rate above 20 per cent and a banking system that is still very much challenged.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrj

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Time for empire to beg aid from colonies? :laugh:

I'd love that talk-show where white skin ego melts to recognize reality!

trackwhack

Time for empire to beg aid from colonies? :laugh:

I'd love that talk-show where white skin ego melts to recognize reality!
Not too long now chief. The paradox of the situation is that Britain's choice of saviour is gonna be either India or China. They literally have to decide whether their industries should have Indian masters or CCP henchmen. I mean can there be a greater example of Karma biting you in the butt?

Reactions: nrj

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
oh yes, why not, times indeed are changing. this ad captures the indian story of struggle to success perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would never gloat at anyone's misfortunes.

One never knows the future.

It is better to remain decent so that it does not bite back in bad times!

There are many Indians and people of Indian origin too who will suffer.

And what if they come back to India?

Who will give them employment and won't they be a burden on India?

Can we refuse them entry?

Think that over, before gloating at someone's woes.

Think things beyond emotions!

Just a thought!

Last edited:

Vyom

Seeker

Just a thought!
I second that. It is a sign of weakness if the misfortune of others, until they are in direct conflict with us, gives us satisfaction.

trackwhack

Just a thought!
All fair points. However I cannot help but feel delight at their downfall, I am human and feel this way due to the scarring that my parents and ancestors were put through. Those who went there, went there chasing wealth and a better life, hence I cannot feel sympathy for them either. I myself am a non-resident right now and its a chance I am taking. Dont get me wrong, America is a great place but not perfect either.

I think Asians will be the first community that will be targeted when the first signs of street riots occur in the UK. There are 1.5 million Indians in the UK. The smart ones will see the collapse coming and return or migrate elsewhere. If they come home, they will come home with adequate wealth for India to digest that influx. I don't see a problem. Something like that will have an awesome impact on the Indian economy and brain drain will trickle to a top. We will learn to stay in our own country and innovate and be productive.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
They gloat at our misfortune, let them feel humiliated for a change. Time to rub in the wounds with salt! :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles