UK bans controversial Muslim Indian scholar

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Oracle, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Britain's Home Secretary Theresa May has banned controversial Islamic scholar Zakir Naik from entering the United Kingdom.

May banned the entry of the Indian scholar on the grounds of his 'unacceptable behaviour'. The renowned Islamic scholar was scheduled to address lectures at Wembley Arena and Sheffield.

Dr Naik is the founder and president of the Islamic Research Foundation and he owns a TV channel which operates from Mumbai, his hometown.

[​IMG]

According to a report in The Daily Telegraph, the home secretary has the authority to exclude or deport an individual if he/she is responsible for writing material that justifies or glorifies terrorist violence or seeks to encourage terror acts.

According to a list published by The Indian Express in 2009, Dr Naik was ranked 82nd among the top 100 most powerful men in India. He was also found to be the third most powerful spiritual leader in India, beaten only by Baba Ramdev and Shri Shri Ravi Shankar.

The Islamic scholar, who holds a MBBS degree, has repeatedly come under criticism for his preachings. The powerful Darul Uloom Deoband seminary has also issued a fatwa against him, urging Muslims against believing his speeches.

Dr Naik has made several alleged inflammatory comments, including suggesting that then US President George W Bush orchestrated the 9/11 terror strike to get an excuse to attack oil-rich nations.

Dr Naik has reportedly cited the Koran and branded Jews as the 'staunchest enemy' of Muslims.

He has also been accused of criticising other religions while upholding the values of Islam.

The popular scholar allegedly supported Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, saying, "If he is fighting the enemies of Islam, I am for him."

Reiterating his stance on every Muslim becoming a terrorist, he allegedly said, "If he is terrorising America the terrorist, the biggest terrorist, every Muslim should be a terrorist."

The paper reports that Dr Naik allegedly compared 'western women' to prostitutes who are 'mere tools in the hands of pleasure seekers and sex marketeers'.

He reportedly claimed that the revealing clothes worn by western women make them more susceptible to rape.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/18/uk-bans-controversial-muslim-indian-scholar.htm

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  3. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

he is one of bridge between Hindustani Muslim and Baratiya Hindus.
    its bad to UK.
    as a Hindu i respect him.

mehwish92 likes this.
  4. mehwish92

mehwish92 Founding Member

i dont think zakir naik ever claimed that bush was behind 9/11...he simply just says: i don't know who did it. there r some who claim osama did it, others claim bush did it. both claim to have evidence. who should i believe??

besides, many americans themselves claim that 9/11 was an inside job. should they be banned too?

in fact i think zakir naik is genuinely working for hindu-muslim unity in India and he must be praised for his work.

5. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

^^ He is a religious propagandist, who is trying to improve the image of Islam by using selective quotes from their religious texts, playing down the nonsensical parts and making dubious translations and leaps of faith to suggest that modern scientific inventions were already foretold by Allah in the 5th century. Some of his videos are on Youtube, you should watch them. For me, they are nauseating, as he parades his "doctor" status all while indulging in intellectual dishonesty of the highest degree.

Good thing that the UK banned him. He is a borderline extremist. His mass appeal is primarily for those that are extremely religious and take a literal meaning of their religious texts, aka closet extremists. Unfortunately, India cannot ban him.

6. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

He is no different from the various babas on Television, out to use religion to further their own self. nothing more and nothing less.

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I used to see and listen to his discourses and interaction on QTV at one time.

He is a mixed bag.

Some of the issues raised by him are interesting and some could be categorised as PsyOps.

He could have made a good lawyer.

HeinzGud likes this.
  8. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Incase, you guys missed the point, I have highlighted them in the original post.

What are you talking about?

Mehwish, your thinking is contradicting the statement in the original post. Osama took responsibility for 9/11. Why do you need more proof?

Sir, Mr. Zakir Naik should stick to his being a doctor and try and save some lives, instead of nonsense preachings. We do not need a religious teacher in a Secular India(Muslim and Hindu alike).

maomao likes this.
  9. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

So finally UK grew some balls..I bet had it been Gordon Brown he'd have got a red carpet welcome studded with a 21-gun salute..and maybe Anjen Chaudhary leading the welcoming delegation

maomao likes this.
  10. satyam

satyam New Member

maomao and Singh like this.
  11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

12. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I salute the British for standing up against bigotry and Bullschit. Surprised some educated people actually buy into his schit. I prefer junkies to his fans and I have perfectly good reason to; as per scientific research (conforming to rigorous academic standards) a large number of drug users function normally *

*If you didn't get this dark joke, I am sorry. God save the Queen.

13. Singh

Gordon Brown would've ensured all the 21 (blank) shots would've been fired into Mr. Naik's (blank) head. I am allowed to dream.

14. Singh

Solemn bow Ray Sir,

Sir, If my understanding is correct be a good lawyer you have to pass exams and be able to fool learned judges. Zakir Naik is smart, he made the right choice.

15. Singh

Science ends here

Science ends here

I am itching to get my hands on a recently published book, God Created the Universe by Fatehulla Khan. After reading the review of the book, I can safely assume it is yet another document in the long line of glorified assertions that much of what we call scientific truths today was mentioned in the scriptures a long time ago.

Ever since the late French physician, Maurice Bucaille — on a hefty payroll of the Saudi royal family in Riyadh — wrote Islam, Bible & Science (1976), many believe that ‘proving’ scientific truths from holy books has been the exclusive domain of Muslims. However, in spite of being impressed by the holy book’s ‘scientific wonders’, Bucaille remained a committed Christian.

Very few of my wide-eyed brethren know that long before Muslims, certain Hindu and Christian theologians had already laid claim to the practice of defining their respective holy books as metaphoric prophecies of scientifically proven phenomenon. They began doing so between the 18th and 19th centuries, whereas Muslims got into the act only in the 20th century.

Johannes Heinrich’s Scientific vindication of Christianity (1887) is one example, while Mohan Roy’s Vedic Physics: Scientific Origin of Hinduism (1999) is a good way of observing how this thought has evolved among followers of other faiths. It is interesting to note how a number of Muslim ‘scientists’ have laboured hard to come up with convoluted interpretations of certain scriptures. Ironically, their ancient counterparts, especially between the 8th and 13th centuries in Baghdad and Persia, had put all effort in trying to understand natural phenomena and the human body and mind through hardcore science and philosophy.

Those great men of Islamic antiquity weren’t over-reading into divine texts for scientific answers; instead, to them God’s command to reflect on nature and the world around them was enough to inspire them to become dedicated rational scientists and philosophers. They were celebrated not only by Muslims, but humanity at large for their scientific prowess.

But, alas, beginning around the early 1970s, with the collapse of a secular nationalist mindset in the Muslim world, and the rise in influence of totalitarian oil-rich puritanical monarchies, Muslim polities and mindset began to suspect science as a tool of western and communist social engineering and imperialism.

Whereas the wealthy monarchies remained firmly in the western camp during the Cold War, they aggressively proliferated reactionary literature that attacked both western and Marxist ideas across the Muslim world. Added to this was the propagated perception that modern science was the creation of the continuing Judo-Christian tradition (nay, ‘conspiracy’) aimed at undermining Islam.

Many Arab as well as some western academics (who were paid large sums of money and perks) were continuously invited to the rich, conservative kingdoms and asked to scribble books claiming that the Muslim holy book was punctuated with scientific truths hundreds of years before the West discovered them in their labs.

This practice — clearly emerging from a mixture of an inferiority complex and the passion for shouting down modern liberal and leftist notions — sanctified myopia and an unscientific bent of mind in the Muslim world. As many Muslim scientists such as Ziauddin Sardar and Pervez Hoodbhoy, and renowned Islamic scholars like Muhammad Akhund, have already lamented, Muslims through such literature are actually encouraged to drop out of any field or lab work required for genuine scientific research. Many are persuaded to follow the belief that all they need to know about science is already in the holy book.

Rationalist Islamic scholars have been insisting throughout the 20th century to date that the holy book is less a book of laws or science. It is an elaborate moral guide for Muslims in which God has given the individual the freewill to decide for him or herself through exerting their mental faculties and striving to gain more empirical knowledge.

Iranian writer, Vali Reza Nasr, is right to mourn the trend today that though most Muslims are quick to adopt western science, they simply refuse to assume a rational scientific mindset.
    No wonder then, for example, most Pakistanis still don’t have a clue about what the country’s only Nobel Prize winning scientist, Dr Abdus Salam, got the award for, but many are quick to quote from books written by super cranks like Harun Yahya and Maurice Bucaille, explaining how things like the Big Bang and others are endorsed in the holy book.

In addition to such claptrap, there are already books out there claiming that electricity can be generated from jinns. A whole session was organised in Islamabad in the late 1980s during the Ziaul Haq regime in which fringe crackpots (disguised as scientists) were invited by the dictator to determine the ‘speed of heaven’, and how to overcome the energy crisis with the aid of jinns!

So why read books of science, or enter a lab to understand the many workings of God’s nature and creatures; just read the holy book. Who knows you may find a theory on time travel and laser guns in it as well? Forget about all those great Muslim scientists of yore, or Abdus Salam, Einstein and Stephen Hawking. Just get in touch with your friendly neighbourhood jinn for all your energy needs

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...mnists/nadeem-f-paracha-science-ends-here-060

16. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

The Dhume article addresses some really poignant issues pertaining to the Indian masses' inability to differentiate free speech from hate speech, and the ability of charlatans to get away with anything as long as they enshroud their crap with the veil of religion.

Let's first establish the fact that Zakir Naik is a fraud who panders idiotic conspiracy theories where the common themes are about the victimization of Islam by non Islamic groups who are to be villified and the glorification of Islam and its eventual superiority over its flawed religious counterparts.There is of course no denying that he's probably a man of substantial intelligence, without which he could have never developed the talent to package his nonsense into those pseudo intellectual "lectures" which appear collegiate in nature thereby attracting an educated audience, many of whom are young and obviously lacking critical thinking skills.

His highly touted "bridge between Hinduism and Islam in India" is a facade meant to placate the majority of the population who would otherwise not tolerate a fire breathing Muslim televangelist. And as Dhume rightly pointed out, careful listening to his message generally reveals the greater theme of implying Islam's superiority over other religions and a multitude of conspiracy theories.

Having said all of this, I think it was a mistake to disbar this guy from entering the UK to give his "lectures." Quacks like him thrive on prohibitive measures which are essential to their"free thinking- anti establishment" appeal and it offers further "validity" to his victim hood and conspiracy theory routines. Not only should he have been let in, but his speeches should have been televised on national TV for everyone to see along with a post game analysis of sorts to dissect and review his words.

None of this bodes well for India and Indians in general. It yet again exposes the educated middle class's lack of critical thinking skills which I'm sure leads into the inadequate education system that is unable to impart this skill to the students who will go on to be members of the 21st youtube century.

Nonetheless, my point is that the best way to rid the society of hate spewing hacks like Zakir Naik is to laugh them off the stage for talking nonsense, not by imposing bans.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Singh, maomao and ahmedsid like this.
  17. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

I'm sorry, but that is too simplistic and an overgeneralization. Probably the largest number of televangelists in the world are in the United States. Also, most of them are much more extremist in their views and teachings than Zakir Naik is. By your logic, the US probably has the worst education system in the world in terms of teaching critical thinking skills.

LurkerBaba likes this.
  18. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Ray sir! Good to see you here.

At the end of the day, Zakir Naik is a missionary, so the PsyOps is expected. I have seen his videos on youtube and don't mind them much; though, it would be good he didn't talk against other groups. I have heard him mocking and laughing at the beliefs of Sufis, so there should definitely be some restrictions about the "freedom of speech"; especially when he does it against a community he knows is relatively peaceful and wont bite back. Delving into each other's beliefs only causes public discontent; otherwise, he can freely promote and preach his own beliefs as much as he wants.

19. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

Most of things he said could be catagorized as stupid. but not as a threat to the country.

Britain has clerics who openly call for converting it into a Muslim country, they protest at dead soldiers funeral, and do all kind of non-senses, but their government does nothing. OTOH, the stop a cleric from India, who says wearing skirts are wrong and then they say Indian secularism is failing.
    'Dumb' is the only word I can use to describe this.

20. AkhandBharat

AkhandBharat Regular Member

What kind of bridging has this guy done, if you don't mind me asking?

21. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Muslim leader moves HC against ban on UK entry

Furious at the United Kingdom for barring his entry, controversial Muslim leader Dr Zakir Naik has decided to initiate legal proceedings in the Bombay High Court to challenge the revocation of his visa and the 'maligning' of his character by Britain's department of home affairs.

Dr Naik, accompanied by advocate Majid Memon and noted film maker Mahesh Bhatt, made the announcement on Tuesday.

Dr Naik, a resident of Mumbai, was scheduled to leave for UK on June 18. A day before his departure, the British high commission hand delivered an order revoking his visa that was valid till 2013, on the grounds that his speeches were not conducive for the public.

The order had cited four extracts of his speeches, which, according to him, were 'misquoted and out of context'.

Dr Naik alleged that the UK home affairs department's decision was a political one. "The decision to revoke my visa was preceded by a news article in The Sunday Times on May 30 titled 'Preacher of Hate'. The article had also quoted me out of context," said Dr Naik.

The Sunday Times had reportedly quoted Dr Naik as saying that every Muslim should be a terrorist.

"I said this in the context that when a robber sees a policeman, he is terrified. So for a robber, the policeman is a terrorist. So in that context, every Muslim should be a terrorist to the robber and anti-social elements," he explained. He added that he had made this statement during an interview to a newspaper in 2003.

The order of the British home affairs had quoted one more extract of a speech in which he had made references to Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden. The quotes sourced from You Tube and reproduced in the order read as "Beware of Muslims saying Osama bin Laden is right or wrong, I reject them, we don't know. But if you ask my view, if given the truth, if he is fighting the enemies of Islam, I am for him. I don't know what he is doing. I am not in touch with him. I don't know him personally. I read the newspaper. If he is terrorising the terrorist, if he is terrorising America the terrorist, the biggest terrorist, he is following Islam."

Dr Naik said that the order stated that the speech was made in 2006, whereas it was actually made in 1996, when Osama was not very well known.

"What I said about Osama was much before the terrorist attacks of 9/11 (in the United States), which I have condemned. My comments about Osama made in the past cannot be linked to recent world events. I have always condemned the killing of innocent people by terrorists," said Dr Naik.

In the third extract, Dr Naik has been quoted criticising the killing of people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon in the same vein as the killing of innocent persons in terror attacks in New York, London and Mumbai. "Is the life of a person in the UK and United States more important than a person dying in other parts of the world such as Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon? How am I wrong in saying this," questioned Dr Naik.

Memon, a noted lawyer, pointed out that revoking Naik's existing visa was a much more serious matter than refusing a visa. "I cannot digest the fact that the entire home affairs department was blinded unwisely and rashly on this matter. Interestingly, this decision cannot be appealed. I am afraid this is terrorism," he said.

Film maker Mahesh Bhatt said that the Centre, which objected to actor Shah Rukh Khan being frisked and detained at a US airport by security officials, should support Dr Naik in this case.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/22/muslim-leader-moves-hc-against-ban-on-uk-entry.htm