U.S. to deploy tanks in Afghan war - Washington Post

ifii

Tihar Jail
Banned
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is sending battle tanks to Afghanistan for the first time in the nine-year-old war against the Taliban, the Washington Post reported on Friday.

More...

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
The TALIBAN is gonna have a field day with their RPGs ! :)
Don't you think Americans already know that. There must be a well thought strategy to it.
However, I don't rule out a couple of them taken out, very much possible.
To me it sounds like a ramp up before the wrap up. Final blow :)
Lets see how it goes.

Regards,
Virendra

Phenom

THe Americans probably now very well the dangers they would face, that's why they have avoided tanks all these years. But if they are bringing them in now, then they must have a good idea on how to use it.

Tanks are good at intimidation, if there is a tank standing near a important building, even a suicide squad of gunmen would think twice before storming them. May be they can avoid spectacular attacks like the one that happened in their capital earlier.

Neil

Country flag
The TALIBAN is gonna have a field day with their RPGs ! :)
is it possible for RPG to take out Abrahams...??i mean these tanks are built to protect against ATGM fire....u need atleast 4-5 RPG'S to destroy each tank....

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Chinese will be preparing to smuggle there anti-tank weapons to taliban to "test" on american tanks.

pmaitra

is it possible for RPG to take out Abrahams...??i mean these tanks are built to protect against ATGM fire....u need atleast 4-5 RPG'S to destroy each tank....
There are some vulnerabilities in the Abrams but they are not easily defeated by RPGs. The typical strategy would be to disable the first and last tank in a convoy in the mountain roads. Once that is done, all the vehicles in the middle, tanks, lorries, APCs become immobile. That is when they can be easily decimated one by one.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles