U.S. talking to Turkey about China missile deal concerns - envoy

Ash

Country flag
ANKARA (Reuters) - The United States is talking to Turkey about its concern over Ankara's decision to co-produce a long-range air and missile defence system with a Chinese firm under U.S. sanctions, U.S. Ambassador Francis Ricciardone said on Thursday.

"We are very concerned about the prospective deal with the sanctioned Chinese firm. Yes this is a commercial decision, it is Turkey's sovereign right, but we are concerned about what it means for allied air defence," Ricciardone told reporters.

Turkey, a member of the NATO military alliance, announced in September it had chosen the FD-2000 missile defence system from China Precision Machinery Import and Export Corp, or CPMIEC, over rival systems from Russian, U.S. and European firms.

CPMIEC is under U.S. sanctions for violations of the Iran, North Korea and Syria Non-proliferation Act.

"We have just begun expert discussions with Turkey and it will be done through official channels. We will have respectful conversations. We are concerned, but Turkey will make its own decision after examining the facts," Ricciardone said.

Turkey has said it is likely to sign the $3.4 billion missile defence deal with CPMIEC but that its decision is not yet final. Some defence analysts had expected the contract to go to U.S. company Raytheon Co or the Franco-Italian Eurosam SAMP/T.

Diplomats say buying a system that does not work with NATO systems would hamper the ability of NATO allies to work together, undermining a principle of the 28-nation alliance.

U.S. talking to Turkey about China missile deal concerns - envoy

Ash

Country flag
The EU has began talks with Turkey on the possibility of it joing the EU. I wonder whether this will be used a barganing chip by
1) turkey to force the issue of joining the EU
2) EU/Us to force Turkey to reverse the decision to co-produce the missles with china.

I guess it depends who is hoding the trump cards

amoy

is turkey blackmailing its allies?
Greece, Cyprus - r they allies?

and Isael - isnt it a NATOs ally sharing mil. intelligence?

will allies do tech transfer to Turkey for her ambition?

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

TrueSpirit

Greece, Cyprus - r they allies?

and Isael - isnt it a NATOs ally sharing mil. intelligence?

will allies do tech transfer to Turkey for her ambition?

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
Turks are a practical lot & master manipulators. They are trying to play all sides against each other to gain the most. However, such brinkmanship is not without inherent risks & could jeopardize its reliability as a NATO ally or, as a contender for EU membership. Outcome of this is going to be interesting. World is watching.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles