U.S. Naval Basing in Sri Lanka?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We had good discussion about possibility of another US base in IOR & Indian interests.

http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-navy/14087-would-india-lease-naval-base-usa-indian.html

As far as relations with SL are concerned, I think its more of a political job to keep that nation favorable to Indian interests, rest of the things will fall in line eventually.

Also scope & capabilities of this possible US base in SL is debatable. Its not that they are going to put bombers over there. I'd be surprised if such base does not surface in on-going strategic dialogue with US.

With increase in USN activity in IOR for watch over MEA or piracy, they're in need of porting & logistics facilities. Indian establishment is still not ready to sign such agreements with US. Its pending from last 4-5yrs if I'm not wrong. So its natural if US turns to other options.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Nope, it still wont have any bearing. India even after 20 years will be nowhere near USN. IN and USN are cooperating with each other so i dont see why we will compete. Forget SL, there are always these talks/rumors of them wanting a base in India itself!!
Forget 20 years from now. I'm talking 2050+. Once the U.S. gets a firm rooting, they stay there for as long as they can. This is why its best to have a strong influence in our neighborhood and keep other countries out. All because we don't plan far ahead into the future doesn't mean other countries don't.

USN having a base in SL is better than having the Chinese having a base there.
The U.S. has the naval might, not China. The PLAN is in no position to project power into the Indian Ocean. I'm not worried about the PLAN at all.

Poseidon

Country flag
The U.S. has the naval might, not China. The PLAN is in no position to project power into the Indian Ocean. I'm not worried about the PLAN at all.
But China will surely have the naval might in the future to project power into IOR.But if USN bases a ford class carrier in SL they will think twice before doing that.

Last edited:

Param

But China will surely have the naval might in the future to project power into IOR.But if USN bases a ford class carrier in SL they think twice.
Do you really feel comfortable with a Ford class super carrier a few Kms from Indian shores? If so what can I say? There are no permanent freinds and foes. If the US sets up a base they will be their for the long haul. And they will be a potential threat to us.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Forget 20 years from now. I'm talking 2050+. Once the U.S. gets a firm rooting, they stay there for as long as they can. This is why its best to have a strong influence in our neighborhood and keep other countries out. All because we don't plan far ahead into the future doesn't mean other countries don't.

So by 2050 even China will not be able to project power in IOR? Come on mate. India should plan ahead. Keep the Chinis out.

Poseidon

Country flag
Do you really feel comfortable with a Ford class super carrier a few Kms from Indian shores? If so what can I say? There are no permanent freinds and foes. If the US sets up a base they will be their for the long haul. And they will be a potential threat to us.
As long as China & US are competitors both in Militarily & Economically we have little to worry about.
Also if we are comfortable with Nimitz's in Diego Garcia,then why wil US base in SL bother us?

Param

As long as China & US are competitors both in Militarily & Economically we have little to worry about.
Also if we are comfortable with Nimitz's in Diego Garcia,then why wil US base in SL bother us?
Diego Garcia is 1500 Kms from Kanya kumari. SL is less than 30 Kms away from TN coast line.
China and US can remain competitors else where, SL should remain in India domain.

Poseidon

Country flag
Diego Garcia is 1500 Kms from Kanya kumari. SL is less than 30 Kms away from TN coast line.
China and US can remain competitors else where, SL should remain in India domain.
True but 1500km is not a huge distance for a N-CBG mate.I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out the Navy like the US's presence in SL,may be not in the form of a AC but in other less sensitive forms.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Well Sri Lanka is a new swing state of South Asia whose skeleton is in USA's /UNO closet for the time being. They will bend backward to please every player interested and rightly so.

India's own capabilities for very own security concerns are just mediocre, how one wouldn't access the same when considering India in their own security calculus as a support or salvation but then opting other better option available. I fear the Vietnam's plea would go unheard because of benign Indian foreign policy and flaccid posturing.
Just today i heard SL ~President interview at TimesNow and he categorically mentioned that the first offer was given to India for the development of ports but the bureaucratic delay from Indian side left us no other option to let China in. We Indians have now developed the habit of blaming others when our own government is non assertive, lazy and its politician busy pumping money in their overseas accounts. We have lost many good friends just because of this GoI attitude since they all now we wouldn't blame them but those who have taken that opportunity. Like We say 'Opportunity never lost but others takes it'. One must ask that fumbler jumbler SM krishna, why SL offer was not clinched in the first place before abusing ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese are also very good at constructing ports.

They have a vast experience.

All said and done, the Chinese are very good workers and are not shirkers. I have seen them at work and am suitably impressed.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I have posted the reason in the thread created on this ports issue.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
While one would be uncomfortable to see a US carrier steaming off the coast of India from Sri Lanka, I reckon the idea of a Chinese boat coasting near the coast of India ex Sri Lanka would be even worse!

Hobson's choice!

KS

Bye bye DFI
But China will surely have the naval might in the future to project power into IOR.But if USN bases a ford class carrier in SL they will think twice before doing that.
True but 1500km is not a huge distance for a N-CBG mate.I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out the Navy like the US's presence in SL,may be not in the form of a AC but in other less sensitive forms.
With all respect, what frickin part of "A nation that is one third the size of TN must remain under India's influence" you did not understand ?

But then we have little to complain though..we just heaped sand on our own heads...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why should any nation be under the influence of another?

Would India like being under the influence of the US?

But equal partnership, sure!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Why should any nation be under the influence of another?

Would India like being under the influence of the US?

But equal partnership, sure!
Idealism has no place in geo-politics brigadier and you should know this better than me....its a dog eats dog world..

SpArK

SORCERER
US port, China port, India port, ... okie who all are missing?

Just complete the damn transshipment container ports in south and make an end to all.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Geopoltics has no place for Jingoism either!

The very fact that an India hater like Rajapakse openly stated India was given the first choice speaks volumes!

The fact that a SL serving military officer states that India will have to give the go head if the US is to lease a port in SL indicates that the India is never too far behind in the Sri Lankan strategic thought!

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Geopoltics has no place for Jingoism either!

The very fact that an India hater like Rajapakse openly stated India was given the first choice speaks volumes!
My previous response was to your idealism...my personal views of rajapaksa dont matter here..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles