U.S. Deploying Jets Around Asia to Keep China Surrounded

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Yankee planes on Indian soil is out of the question, India would cease to exist in my eyes and eliminating the politicians who agreed to it would be fair game. Moreover the people of India wont allow it.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I have noticed something about Chinese on DFI. Most members from India and other countries have individual viewpoints and interests which bear on their participation. Chinese come right out of the gate in every thread with a political axe to grind, and a party line to parrot. I have a feeling I have been slow to come to this insight compared to others. :notsure:
50-Cent party working hard! :lol:

no smoking

Country flag
I have noticed something about Chinese on DFI. Most members from India and other countries have individual viewpoints and interests which bear on their participation. Chinese come right out of the gate in every thread with a political axe to grind, and a party line to parrot. I have a feeling I have been slow to come to this insight compared to others. :notsure:
I also have noticed something about Indians on DFI: when they can't beat your arguement, they generally go to a simple reponses, such as "you have been brainwashed", "you just repeat the party line" or "you are a government web agent", etc.

What a wonderful discussion!

binayak95

Country flag
Yankee planes on Indian soil is out of the question, India would cease to exist in my eyes and eliminating the politicians who agreed to it would be fair game. Moreover the people of India wont allow it.
Hmmm....... Do you have a solution to our Dragon problem??? For all practical purposes, India has been in an anti-China alliance ever since the Quadrilateral Intiative.

s002wjh

Country flag
its not just india wont allow US base/fighter jet/logistic in india, US wont do that either. india is not really an ally of US.
so this report is pure fantasy at this moment.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I also have noticed something about Indians on DFI: when they can't beat your arguement, they generally go to a simple reponses, such as "you have been brainwashed", "you just repeat the party line" or "you are a government web agent", etc.

It would take self-control from all of us to reduce the problem. You are right, only facts and evidence make any difference.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Last edited:

aerokan

Country flag

What a joke dude!! It's a pity when you of all say this. I have tried enough times to make you understand several things. When you can't counter an argument with a logic, you come again another day in another thread and start the same argument again and again and again. I don't say all that stuff above except one. "Go eff yourself" :namaste:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Even when India was threatened by the USS Enterprise in 1971, India did not grant the Soviets basing rights despite signing a mutual defense pact (which really meant Soviet protection for India, as India could do little to defend the USSR).

It's pure fantasy to think that any Indian government, led by any party, would grant basing rights to a third country, whether the US or anyone else. If Indian foreign policy objectives included becoming a client state of some other country, India would have never developed nukes or built up an indigenous space program despite global opposition and ostracism for 4 decades.

binayak95

Country flag
Even when India was threatened by the USS Enterprise in 1971, India did not grant the Soviets basing rights despite signing a mutual defense pact (which really meant Soviet protection for India, as India could do little to defend the USSR).

It's pure fantasy to think that any Indian government, led by any party, would grant basing rights to a third country, whether the US or anyone else. If Indian foreign policy objectives included becoming a client state of some other country, India would have never developed nukes or built up an indigenous space program despite global opposition and ostracism for 4 decades.
I concur. We Indians are quite proud of our territorial sovereignty. I guess the Senior Officer of the USAF by including India was suggesting that either the Pentagon is mulling on this o negotiations are taking place.

Another example is our refusal to allow the US Navy to base its ships in A&N Islands in exchange of gaining access to Diego Garcia inspite of its many advantages.

TrueSpirit

Truth is bitter, indeed.

Next time, PM to all Indians@DFI not to disclose your reality ("you have been brainwashed") in public...& save you the embarrassment :)

Last edited:

t_co

What's more interesting here is that the USAF officer actually discussed this in public. By the time most Western (and, increasingly, Russian and Chinese) military officers hit the O-7 and O-8 (brigadier and major general) ranks, they start to learn PR skills - basically, what to say and what not to say in front of a journalist or microphone. Hence, I'm inclined to take his laundry list as a public signal that:

1) The US just included a bunch of countries to smokescreen the Chinese
2) The US is bluffing, and this is meant to provide leverage in the upcoming resumption of Sino-US mil-mil talks currently being mulled after the Xi-Obama summit in California
3) The US is seriously engaged with India on talks for basing rights

Of the three, #3 is the least likely, because that officer has to know that Indians have a preference for (public) non-alignment, even if they'd privately concede to a de facto mil-mil relationship. Consequently, if the US were actually trying to get something done on Indian soil, publicizing that fact would make it more difficult, not less. Ergo, if I was China, I would read this statement as an implicit denial that the US will be basing anything on Indian soil against China in the near future.

Another reason that explanation makes sense: Iran. Due to proximity, the lack of theater-range US assets in Pakistan, and the need for theater-range assets in India in order to credibly threaten China, any US assets based in India (especially radars) would have a better than even chance of participating in any US strike on Iran - which would instantly kill the Indo-Iranian relationship, from which India imports a sizeable amount of its oil. Even passively hosting those assets without letting the US 'use' them would severely piss off the Iranians. India knows better than to do that, and ergo, the US knows better than to put India in that situation.

It's not #2, either. The facilities necessary to threaten China, again, would have to be capable of supporting theater-range assets. What are these assets? Long-range radars, B-52s loaded with Tomahawks and glide bombs, B-2s, F-22s, KC-135 tankers, E-3s, etc. China has spent decades studying those weapons systems, and knows they require certain sets of infrastructure to be combat-effective: 7-10,000 foot runways constructed to certain ISO specifications, million-liter underground fuel tanks filled with certain grades of jet fuel and hooked to specialized pumping equipment, control towers installed with a certain class of (easily hackable) electronics gear, weapons bunkers constructed with certain layouts and security systems, etc. - and that's not counting the KFCs and beer delivery contracts the USAF likes to bring with it wherever it lands, be it Greenland or Kuwait.

Point is, the USAF can't credibly bluff those actions because those actions are horrendously expensive, time-consuming and/or self-limiting. Because most of the IAF operates relatively rugged Russian equipment, there are only a handful of Indian airbases that can be upgraded to support those big, heavy, delicate USAF prima donnas, and even fewer (only two or three, if my memory serves me right) that already meet all USAF standards.

Ergo, by process of elimination, this is #1 - the USAF officer is simply putting out a smokescreen, and given #2 and #3, a pretty bad one at best - or maybe it's just directed to the gullible public rather than the people who actually know their stuff.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
@t_co
By the time most Western (and, increasingly, Russian and Chinese) military officers hit the O-7 and O-8 (brigadier and major general) ranks, they start to learn PR skills - basically, what to say and what not to say in front of a journalist or microphone

Well, maybe. If you look for "Projecting Power and Influence in the Pacific" by GEN Carlisle on USAF websites you will get a 404 error.

Last edited by a moderator:

binayak95

Country flag
What's more interesting here is that the USAF officer actually discussed this in public. By the time most Western (and, increasingly, Russian and Chinese) military officers hit the O-7 and O-8 (brigadier and major general) ranks, they start to learn PR skills - basically, what to say and what not to say in front of a journalist or microphone. Hence, I'm inclined to take his laundry list as a public signal that:

1) The US just included a bunch of countries to smokescreen the Chinese
2) The US is bluffing, and this is meant to provide leverage in the upcoming resumption of Sino-US mil-mil talks currently being mulled after the Xi-Obama summit in California
3) The US is seriously engaged with India on talks for basing rights

Of the three, #3 is the least likely, because that officer has to know that Indians have a preference for (public) non-alignment, even if they'd privately concede to a de facto mil-mil relationship. Consequently, if the US were actually trying to get something done on Indian soil, publicizing that fact would make it more difficult, not less. Ergo, if I was China, I would read this statement as an implicit denial that the US will be basing anything on Indian soil against China in the near future.

Another reason that explanation makes sense: Iran. Due to proximity, the lack of theater-range US assets in Pakistan, and the need for theater-range assets in India in order to credibly threaten China, any US assets based in India (especially radars) would have a better than even chance of participating in any US strike on Iran - which would instantly kill the Indo-Iranian relationship, from which India imports a sizeable amount of its oil. Even passively hosting those assets without letting the US 'use' them would severely piss off the Iranians. India knows better than to do that, and ergo, the US knows better than to put India in that situation.
Really good analysis.

On Iran, the Americans don't need assets in India. They have got a fleet in the Gulf and they have Diego Garcia, from where they launched B-2 Strikes on Iraq during both Desert Storm and Enduring "Freedom"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles