Two dead as Russian fighter jet crashes in Libya

123Sunny

LIBYA - 7 OCTOBER 2009

A RUSSIAN MiG-23 fighter jet crashed into a house in a suburb of the Libyan capital Tripoli today, killing its two-man crew and injuring several people on the ground, witnesses said.
The jet was on a demonstration flight at an air show at the time of the crash in the Soug-Ejemaa district.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the accident.

Those injured included three members of a family living in the house, the witnesses said, adding that the building was largely destroyed but the three had been in one of the less damaged rooms.

Russian news agency RIA Novosti, reporting that a MiG-23 crashed at the air show, said the aircraft went down about two kilometres from the show's grandstands, without mentioning casualties or other details.

Source: AFP

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
LIBYA - 7 OCTOBER 2009
One thing is not clear from the article, or maybe I am not able to understand.

Did the MiG-23 belong to the VVS or the Libyan Air Force, because AFAIK, the VVS retired the Floggers. The title of the article looks misguiding.

123Sunny

Did the MiG-23 belong to the VVS or the Libyan Air Force, because AFAIK, the VVS retired the Floggers. The title of the article looks misguiding.
It's from Lybian Air Force. But they meant the aircraft is Russian made.

Vladimir79

Professional

We retired MiG-23 15 years ago. Libya knows it is time for new aerocraft which is why we are participating in areosalon LAVEX-2009.

RF present at LAVEX-2009 latest range of aviation

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
We retired MiG-23 15 years ago. Libya knows it is time for new aerocraft which is why we are participating in areosalon LAVEX-2009.

RF present at LAVEX-2009 latest range of aviation
Yes, sir, I know that, actually the comment was meant to highlight the poor writing skills of todays reporters. :thumbs_thmbdn: Nowhere in the article is it written that it was Libyan AF Flogger, instead, the reporter kept on saying that it was a Russian fighter.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles