Two brothers stand separated by 60 years of destiny

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by kickok1975, Mar 4, 2011.

1. kickok1975

kickok1975 Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

At the stroke of midnight on August 14, 1947 India and Pakistan became two independent nations. As Pakistan celebrates it's 60th independence day on Tuesday CNN-IBN’s Shreya Dhondial brings this special report from Lahore and Delhi on a pair of twin brothers born on the day the two countries were separated by the Partition.

New Delhi: In the last 59 years Azhar Sherwani and his twin brother Zafar Hameed have never celebrated their birthday together. And their 60th birthday is no different as Azhar in Delhi gets down to write a birthday mail to Zafar, who is having a little family party at Lahore with their 84-year-old mother Talat.

The story of these two brothers is much like the story of India and Pakistan that began on August 15, 1947.

As the clock struck the midnight hour, 24-year-old Talat Hameed went into labour in Lucknow, a few hours later she delivered identical twins Zafar and Azhar, who is seven minutes older.

But the babies, just like the two new nations, shared their birth date but were never destined to live together.

Talat's brother who was childless requested her to give him Azhar and a month later Talat’s family decided to move to the newly created Pakistan.

“With a broken heart I had to leave Azhar behind. I couldn't sleep or eat I cried all the way to the railway station,” Talat remembers.

However, it's been a relatively smooth ride since the days of Partition but meeting each other was never easy due to acrimonious relations between India and Pakistan, which often meant no visas.

“When we were growing up especially in my teenage years I missed him (Azhar) the most. There are things you want to discuss and talk about and there was no one I could share it with,” says Zafar.

In fact when Azhar got married soon after the 1971 war, Zafar and Talat couldn't make it to Delhi because the borders were sealed and had to fly down to London to see each other.

“It's sad that we had to live separately. I wish the country had never been divided. We all could have lived together,” says Azhar.

But today if they had the choice could they live with each other? “We can't live together now after so many years,” Azhar says.

While Zafar says, “We have grown up in different societies. Our ideas are now fixed.” But then he hastens to add, “We can't change the past but we would definitely want to spend much more time together. I don't know how much time we have left.”

Born of the same parents, yet destiny has taken the two brothers in different directions. Born at the same time, yet living in totally different times, they are in many ways an embodiment of a partitioned subcontinent’s brothers who have a common past yet are unable to share the future.

3. kickok1975

Isn't India and Pakistan two brothers born from same mother?

4. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

No. We are two countries divided by shared history and most of us are glad for it.

5. kickok1975

I guess that's probably the saddest part of India-Pakistan relationship

6. mayfair

^^ I believe it's only sad if you choose to live in the past. The generations born after partition have no memories or recollections of living together in one country and would rather prefer to live together as friendly neighbours than the current mess. But the wistful longing for reunion hardly has much currency in either country.

7. kickok1975

Oh, I see. Is it mainly due to religion or bad experience in the past?

8. mayfair

Host of reasons, I'm sure there are plenty of contributions from members on the forums here, which will explain things far better than I can. Suffice to say that reunification is not a widely desired idea and being good neighbours is the hope for the future. Something, which your country would do well to consider.

9. kickok1975

I hope China can make good neighbours with Both India and Pakistan as well. But because your two countries are in such hostile environment, China's close relationship with either one would be considered as conspiracy and threat by the other.

10. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Thats not true at all. India and Pakistan have shared many friends in the past; the difference is that China continues to use Pakistan to try to undermine India, that is the only reason India and China ties are frosty. Otherwise, the Arabs are a perfect example of shared friends which both India and Pakistan share. China is in an anti-India posture, and uses Pakistan to this affect, hence the Indo-China relationship quagmire.

11. mayfair

^^ Tronicji you took words right out of my mouth. Well said:clap:

12. kickok1975

Indo-China relationship used to be much better than China-Pak relationship. Ever since India hosted exiled Dalai Lama and 1962 war, such trust no longer exists and China always has concern of India revenge. India could threaten and cut off China’s life sea line from Middle East and only friendly Pakistan could offer an alternative route where oil can bypass India’s territory

13. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Pakistan is a religious cesspool and China's biggest liability which is getting flushed further and further and down the toilet.China has no alternative routes to the IOR region Kickok.The Baluchis are seeing it to it that chabar remains inoperative.

14. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

It goes beyond the issue of Dalai Lama and the Tibetan refugees. Territorial ambitions play a large part into the Sino-Indian equation. India and China do not share the same perception of their borders. An independent Tibet was a friendly neighbour for India, but once Tibet fell under CCP rule, the open border between India and Tibet eventually turned into the disputed LAC.

China's concerns about its supply lines may be somewhat valid, but realistically, it is impossible to monitor each and every ship which passes through the sea lanes and block selected ships. Any mass choking of supplies will choke off the other East Asian countries aswell; that is not something which will be in the interest of India. And that would also mean, dealing with the USN.

China uses Pakistan as a counterweight to India, for the simple reason, it already has far too many rivals to deal with, with too little friends. Pakistan is one nation which China uses in its favour, as the Chinese have enough to deal with on their eastern front. I have long said that India should look at the Pakistan army, as an arm of Chinese strategic posturing, and not as an independent threat.

15. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

More than religion being the difference, I think it was power politics that was at play that brought about the Partition.

The issue is not only something that emerged because of the acrimonious relationship of the two religions, fanned by political oneupmanship, but also the Machiavellian role played by the British.

If one observes any part of the world where the British ruled, they have not failed to leave acrimony behind when they quit.

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Indo Chinese relations soured because of Aksai Chin and its aftermath.

Nehru was blind to realpolitik and was too consumed with his image building as a great apostle of peace and harmony and as a champion of the Third World.

Kashmir and 1962 are his legacy that we are now grappling with!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  17. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Brothers hell not who wants to be related to these mullahs,we are always better off alone:)

PS; Peace with Pakistan is like trying to expect a whore to remain loyal to the same man which is impossible.

Yes the father of Pakistan i.e Jinnah wanted a Muslim state for Muslim he feared that under a Hindu majority state they won't get the same political and economic clout.
    After independence it became more ridiculous with the Pakistani establishment promoting the racial and moral superiority of the Muslims over the so called sub-human Hindus, but in the end in backfired terribly and now when they have terrorist in their country they whine its a Hindu-Jewish conspiracy to destroy them.

18. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Kickok you may be interested in the partition thread that we have here. Just search for it.

19. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

What brothers? They have lost whatever Indianess they had, a very long time back.! We might have lost 40% of our earlier territory, but i have come to peace with it, so has rest of India, except for Punjab and Kashmir. Unless they give up their fundementalist ideology, and be like the rest of us Indians, secular and liberal, and economically driven. They can keep themselves in that shithole of a country.

If you go by the Chinese idea of what constitutes their territories, then India is a country with Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Tibet, Burma and areas under the Chola Kingdom. lol ;)

20. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

Pakistanis consider themselves as descendents of people who ruled India in medieval times

Therefore in 1965 war Pakistan was dreaming of putting "Green Flag on Red Fort "

This arguement that India and Pakistan are brothers is just a false idea

This whole South Asian subcontinent was Never one country . The thing is that British politically united and ruled this land and called it British India

And you didnt need a visa to go to Lahore and Karachi

Of course there were and still are linguistic and cultural simmilarities between Indians and Pakistanis

But the historical faultlines are SO deep that any reconciliation is impossible

21. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

Pakistani's are none of that, they are the one's who got raped and pillaged by those persians and turks, and didnt have the spine to stand up.