Truth in the time of turmoil

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

In the time of turmoil, will it be better if the facts are told the way it has happened so that all can know what is going on?

Or, should it be shrouded with phrases that leave issues to be deciphered by the reader to the best of the reader's ability?

Appreciate the power of rumour, often malicious, no matter how preposterous, within the local populations you are seeking to help.

You know, I've never actually really believed that death is inevitable. I just think it's a rumour.

KS likes this.
  3. Ray

While that is fine, journalism should be free from political agendas or else the purpose will be lost of reporting event as it is!

What is 'responsible journalism'?

4. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

A very good topic.

How the blockage/brushing off of real info, presumably with good intentions only, actually gives rise to exaggerated figures which actually defeat the very purpose of the initial blockage.

The same argument can be extended to the way we have a softened up version of history in our books.

5. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

There are two problems:
    1. Lack of professionalism and corruption: They don't have independent fact checking mechanism and investigative journalism is almost dead in MSM. Even if there are any good independent stories, due to corruption there are chances that they are bought off before going public.
    2. Hidden Political inclinations: People in media with certain political bends are not forthcoming about their inclination which is dishonesty at the basic level. There is nothing wrong in having inclination with a certain political ideology but when you present your opinion as impartial objective news, it makes people unsure about their credibility.

6. Ray

At least they can quit saying ' of a certain minority community' when all know which community that is!

These words only anger those who claim if Hindus can be openly mentioned why not the others.

It leads them to believe that the secular mindset is 'anti Hindu'.

Is that what the secular mindset all about?

Hindus are to be the sole ones to be mentioned as the culprits while the real ones are ' certain minority community'.

Take the case of Modi.

Why is he so popular even beyond Gujarat?

Imagine the NDTV polls stating that if he is the PM candidate the seats may increase for the BJP! (at is if I have understood the polls!)

He is being demonised while the Godra criminals are not and the anti Sikh riot leaders being sheltered.

Apply the law honestly and none will care and instead will be happy that the criminals have been booked and India is cleansed of communal rot!

I will be honest. I have never been communal. I am an all India person because of my background - a rolling stone that gathered no communal or religious moss. In fact, on religion I am an enigma having adorned many and rejected all.

Yet, I reject the use of religion as a political tool to score brownies.

I don't care what one's religion is. Get the facts and judge the issue solely on facts and the law.

And quit quoting what the sad scriptures have to say to contradict the contemporary times and the law of the land.

Scriptures, in my way of things, should be locked up for private mulling and beyond trying to impose itself on the Nation that has more scriptures of different types and each contradicting the other and totally out of synch with society and the Law!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    ani82v likes this.
  7. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Completely agree, you just summed up about the reasons of swelling support of HRW.
    Take for example the case of UCC, which should be a completely legitimate demand by secular liberal party. And when you find out that there is only one party in town which stands for that and it is a RW party, and which is demonized to no limit, then people start questioning about the real intentions of card carrying seculars.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't get reflected in the media because the they too have similar political inclinations.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. Ray

I am secular, but not the secular of the politicians' dictionary.

Secular where there is no sops, no quarters asked for and no quarters given without a foolproof reason!

panduranghari likes this.
  9. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Only if you are willing to become the PM of India for the next 15 years, you could very well bring this attitude into governance. The only institutions India is proud of perhaps are the armed forces.

10. Ray

Even that is being subverted by politicians and bureaucrats!

11. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Our freedom of expression has been restricted to give ideal statements like 'every religion is same' while it is grossly incorrect, so even if you tell the differences in them then one will feel offended to hear the bitter truth and you are doomed. Same goes for media and media persons they are bound to speak as per the guidelines of the govt some of them are to hide the biased policies to appease a particular community while some are to actually maintain the communal harmony and there is a very thin line of difference between them. Media cant show the ground realities as they may raise communal tension and disharmony from both the sides, active filtering of the sensitive materials is must.

12. Ray

Active filtration?

Like "a certain community" when all know which community?

is it not suggesting that one should not call a spade a spade?

Even my Muslim General talking about his issue, called it 'M factor'.

What damned M factor?

I objected and he came out in the open!

Be Bold and say it or if you haven't the guts to face reality, just drop it and let the situation spiral out of control!

Let it be clear, even when some Hindu organisation wanted to organise some camp with the Army's help to organise field toilets etc, I told them to take a hike.

No sir. Everything must be equal!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012