Trump may ask India to send troops to Afghanistan

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
Interview of Ashraf Ghani to BBC news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...38;link_location=live-reporting-correspondent

This is the worst job on Earth," he tells me.

And it is true there are no shortage of tough issues facing Afghanistan. The most obvious is security. His country has been at war for almost 16 years now. Yet the Afghan president is surprisingly bullish about how long the country will continue to require the support of Nato.

Nato troops, he says, will be able to pull out "within four years".

Many military analysts will consider that optimistic given that it is only three years since the Nato combat mission ended and the Afghan military took responsibility for the battle against the Taliban and other insurgent groups.
Mr Ghani doesn't deny it has been a difficult three years. "We were like 12-year-olds taking on the responsibility of a 30-year-old; but we really grew in the process. Now in terms of management and leadership things are really falling into place."

He continues: "Within four years, we think our security forces would be able to do the constitutional thing, which is the claim of legitimate monopoly of power."

He expects that some foreign troops will remain in Afghanistan after that period as part of the global fight against terrorism but, when I ask whether he is saying Afghan forces have turned the corner in the fight against the Taliban, there is no hesitation: "Yes," he says.
The Taliban, he says, had two strategic aims: to overthrow the government or to create two "political geographies", by which he means whole areas of the country where it holds sway.

"It has failed miserably in both of these aims," Mr Ghani believes.

Whether that is true is debatable. The latest figures from the US military show that the Afghan government controls less than two-thirds of the country. The rest is either controlled or contested by the Taliban and other militant groups.

What is more, last year Afghanistan lost some 10% of its entire fighting force: about 7,000 Afghan National Army soldiers were killed, another 12,000 were injured, and many thousands more deserted.

One reason the Afghan president is so confident is that he believes that the West does not really understand the real nature of the conflict. His government is not fighting a civil war, he argues, but a drug war.
Taliban is the largest exporters of heroin to the world. Why is the world not focusing on heroin? Is this an ideological war or is this a drug war?" asks Mr Ghani. "This criminalisation of the economy needs to be addressed."

So what is the ultimate aim, I ask.

"A peace agreement with the Taliban," he answers without a breath.

"The whole aim of the strategy is to provide the ground for political solution and a political solution is a negotiated solution. It's imperative that the people are given a chance to live their lives. We have been denied breathing space for 40 years, and in an immense tribute to our people for their resilience, any other state would've been completely broken."

Corruption crackdown
Mr Ghani is full of praise for US President Donald Trump, who finally announced last month that his government was ready to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely. Withdrawal, said Mr Trump, would be determined by "conditions on the ground and not arbitrary timetables".

The US president also said he would send a few thousand more troops to support the current Nato mission. In return, Mr Ghani says he plans a complete overhaul of the Afghan government, including redoubled efforts to crack down on corruption.

"The first principle of tackling corruption," he tells me, "is that you do not engage in it and you have the will to confront it. Whoever engages in corruption, regardless of affiliation, relationship etc, must be subject to the same law."

"A three-star general that I have promoted is now in prison because it was demonstrated that fuel was being stolen," he boasts. "One of the richest men in the country that people thought was untouchable is now in prison. You can ask anyone in the judiciary, I provide full political support."

The Afghan president's message is clear: "Self-reliance is not just words, but deeds."

And, with two years to go before a general election, he says he doesn't care if the price of his reform efforts is his presidency.

"If election is your goal, you're never going to engage in reform. Reform has to be your goal. Election is the means. You run for office in order to do something, not in order to perpetuate yourself. Politicians have become extraordinarily conservative, but our times require imagination and bold action."

Mangal

Country flag
We dont hav supply route to deploy troops there. Thats the main thing. Also we hav nothing to gain by deploying troops there. Afghan society is beyond repair. You can't do anything meaningful there. Best option for us is continuation of status quo
A) We are not going to fight a war there. We need a small contingent to support US. The supply lines can be through air or by land from a central Asian country like tajikastan.
B) US did the same mistake by letting Afghanistan rot and suffered 9/11. The repurcussions for us are going to be much more lethal if we decide Afghanistan to be the hell hole which it is right now. You got to agree that after US invasion the Afghanistan at least areas near Kabul are much more better than Taliban rule. Any thing is better than ISI backed Taliban and ISIS taking over Afghanistan again. Currently US backed forces are keeping tab over the insurgency and ISIS. We need to move in to support it or once it becomes too.much for US they would move out. What we will have than is ISIS sitting on our heads producing opium and financing terrorists in India. We don't want that do we.

SELVAM

Afghan government should find ways to generate revenue on their own. How long they will rely on US for funds to Afghan army. Seems like entire opium money is going to Afghan taliban. If US withdraws from Afghanistan, Afghan taliban will capture Kabul even without assistance from paki army.

Vijyes

Get one thing straight, we care two hoots for whoever/whatever lives in Afghanistan. It does not matter.
We want the land, the resources, plain and simple.
Afghanistan imports 90% of grains as AID from USA. If USA stops giving free food, Afghanistan will face famine. Afghanistan has fertility of 6. Population is growing too rapidly despite being resource starved.

Afghanistan has only 1 major resources - Lithium. Considering the Afghanistan hot climate, lack of food, lack of oil and infrastructure, mining lithium becomes extraordinarily difficult. How will the required machinery, goods train, railway tracks, cranes, water etc be brought from?

I hate to admit, but as Selvam put it, only resource in Afghanistan that is viable for extraction os opium.

Interview of Ashraf Ghani to BBC news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...38;link_location=live-reporting-correspondent

This is the worst job on Earth," he tells me.

And it is true there are no shortage of tough issues facing Afghanistan. The most obvious is security. His country has been at war for almost 16 years now. Yet the Afghan president is surprisingly bullish about how long the country will continue to require the support of Nato.

Nato troops, he says, will be able to pull out "within four years".

Many military analysts will consider that optimistic given that it is only three years since the Nato combat mission ended and the Afghan military took responsibility for the battle against the Taliban and other insurgent groups.
Mr Ghani doesn't deny it has been a difficult three years. "We were like 12-year-olds taking on the responsibility of a 30-year-old; but we really grew in the process. Now in terms of management and leadership things are really falling into place."

He continues: "Within four years, we think our security forces would be able to do the constitutional thing, which is the claim of legitimate monopoly of power."

He expects that some foreign troops will remain in Afghanistan after that period as part of the global fight against terrorism but, when I ask whether he is saying Afghan forces have turned the corner in the fight against the Taliban, there is no hesitation: "Yes," he says.
The Taliban, he says, had two strategic aims: to overthrow the government or to create two "political geographies", by which he means whole areas of the country where it holds sway.

"It has failed miserably in both of these aims," Mr Ghani believes.

Whether that is true is debatable. The latest figures from the US military show that the Afghan government controls less than two-thirds of the country. The rest is either controlled or contested by the Taliban and other militant groups.

What is more, last year Afghanistan lost some 10% of its entire fighting force: about 7,000 Afghan National Army soldiers were killed, another 12,000 were injured, and many thousands more deserted.

One reason the Afghan president is so confident is that he believes that the West does not really understand the real nature of the conflict. His government is not fighting a civil war, he argues, but a drug war.
Taliban is the largest exporters of heroin to the world. Why is the world not focusing on heroin? Is this an ideological war or is this a drug war?" asks Mr Ghani. "This criminalisation of the economy needs to be addressed."

So what is the ultimate aim, I ask.

"A peace agreement with the Taliban," he answers without a breath.

"The whole aim of the strategy is to provide the ground for political solution and a political solution is a negotiated solution. It's imperative that the people are given a chance to live their lives. We have been denied breathing space for 40 years, and in an immense tribute to our people for their resilience, any other state would've been completely broken."

Corruption crackdown
Mr Ghani is full of praise for US President Donald Trump, who finally announced last month that his government was ready to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely. Withdrawal, said Mr Trump, would be determined by "conditions on the ground and not arbitrary timetables".

The US president also said he would send a few thousand more troops to support the current Nato mission. In return, Mr Ghani says he plans a complete overhaul of the Afghan government, including redoubled efforts to crack down on corruption.

"The first principle of tackling corruption," he tells me, "is that you do not engage in it and you have the will to confront it. Whoever engages in corruption, regardless of affiliation, relationship etc, must be subject to the same law."

"A three-star general that I have promoted is now in prison because it was demonstrated that fuel was being stolen," he boasts. "One of the richest men in the country that people thought was untouchable is now in prison. You can ask anyone in the judiciary, I provide full political support."

The Afghan president's message is clear: "Self-reliance is not just words, but deeds."

And, with two years to go before a general election, he says he doesn't care if the price of his reform efforts is his presidency.

"If election is your goal, you're never going to engage in reform. Reform has to be your goal. Election is the means. You run for office in order to do something, not in order to perpetuate yourself. Politicians have become extraordinarily conservative, but our times require imagination and bold action."
Afghanistan is beyond repair and fully broken. It is US military that is keeping Afghanistan out of Taliban and other Islamist. 99% of Afghanis support Sharia law. It is purely American influence that is sustaining Afghanistan.

SELVAM

A) We are not going to fight a war there. We need a small contingent to support US. The supply lines can be through air or by land from a central Asian country like tajikastan.
B) US did the same mistake by letting Afghanistan rot and suffered 9/11. The repurcussions for us are going to be much more lethal if we decide Afghanistan to be the hell hole which it is right now. You got to agree that after US invasion the Afghanistan at least areas near Kabul are much more better than Taliban rule. Any thing is better than ISI backed Taliban and ISIS taking over Afghanistan again. Currently US backed forces are keeping tab over the insurgency and ISIS. We need to move in to support it or once it becomes too.much for US they would move out. What we will have than is ISIS sitting on our heads producing opium and financing terrorists in India. We don't want that do we.
I hav a different opinion on this. We dont hav land border with Afghanistan. So there is no direct threat from Afghanistan. Afghan taliban and isis will create more problems for paki army than us. We can't sustain in Afghanistan without iran help. But Iranians will never allow india to become significant player in Afghanistan. Iranians r now actively supporting taliban against US.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Map_of_Central_Asia.png

there is some thing called Geo politics and in todays world it makes everyone
everyone else neighbor so in that sense India dose share a border with Afghanistan just imagin if Afghanistan falls then what about the rest of the stans those who say that India should ignore Afghanistan are ignorant themselves and are living in a fools paradise or some utopia
if Afghanistan falls then the desh will make mince meat of Pakistan remember this is history repeting itself the first Islamic conquest came from the same area In to India what makes any one think that it will be different but there is a difference this time we have 20 million ??? Muslims in India gods know which way they will swing

there is another reason why I attached the CAR map
if India plays her cards right in this round we could use Tajikistan and Uzbekistan to our advantage
further still India should be the net facilitator to bring the yanks the Iranians and the Russians together to naget the so called " strategic importance" that our next door neighbor keeps harping about
the Iranians would be happy if they can deal with us other than Pakistan in Afghanistan

Vijyes

View attachment 20764

everyone else neighbor so in that sense India dose share a border with Afghanistan just imagin if Afghanistan falls then what about the rest of the stans those who say that India should ignore Afghanistan are ignorant themselves and are living in a fools paradise or some utopia
if Afghanistan falls then the desh will make mince meat of Pakistan remember this is history repeting itself the first Islamic conquest came from the same area In to India what makes any one think that it will be different but there is a difference this time we have 20 million ??? Muslims in India gods know which way they will swing

if India plays her cards right in this round we could use Tajikistan and Uzbekistan to our advantage
further still India should be the net facilitator to bring the yanks the Iranians and the Russians together to naget the so called " strategic importance" that our next door neighbor keeps harping about
the Iranians would be happy if they can deal with us other than Pakistan in Afghanistan
The problem with your approach is that you don't care about merit, competency but just want results. If hindus are unfit, then hindus must go extinct. There are 1.2 billion hindus (including sikhs, jain, buddhists) in indian subcontinent including Nepal, Lanka, bangladesh, pakistan. And yet, if hindus act like retards, there is no reason to say hindus shouldn't be butchered. Only when unfit people die off, will the world be a better place to live.

Muslims are evil but they think. Hindus are insane and don't think. If hindus become sane, they deserve to live. If not, well deserved extinction. There is no point being too concerned about invasion. One must not expect more than one deserves.

Sending troops to Afghanistan will serve no purpose and in fact create more problems. Without land border, we can't transport hundreds of tons of equipment, food, fuel, minerals etc to Afghanistan easily.

Last edited:

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
The problem with your approach is that you don't care about merit, competency but just want results. If hindus are unfit, then hindus must go extinct. There are 1.2 billion hindus (including sikhs, jain, buddhists) in indian subcontinent including Nepal, Lanka, bangladesh, pakistan. And yet, if hindus act like retards, there is no reason to say hindus shouldn't be butchered. Only when unfit people die off, will the world be a better place to live.

Muslims are evil but think. Hindus are insane and don't think. If hindus become sane, they deserve to live. If not, well deserved extinction. There is no point being too concerned about invasion. One must not expect more than one deserves
I look at what has history said and tell it yet again what I meant was that the safety of Delhi lays in Kabul wathere we like it or not I don't want my brethren to be extinct that is why I said what I said

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
I look at what has history said and tell it yet again what I meant was that the safety of Delhi lays in Kabul wathere we like it or not I don't want my brethren to be extinct that is why I said what I said
Agree with u completely. Infact Afghans can be made part of the deal of cutting up Pak. If they want an ever lasting peace Pak has to be cut to size. If Afghans agree Pak can be run over from both sides putting an end to the cancer called Pakistan

SELVAM

View attachment 20764

Why r u so concerned about pakis? If isis gains strength in Afghanistan , then there will be more bloodshed in pakistan. Thats pakis problem

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Why r u so concerned about pakis? If isis gains strength in Afghanistan , then there will be more bloodshed in pakistan. Thats pakis problem
please do not be so naïve we are talking geo politics here @SELVAM not the election of the next mayor for the Greater Madras Metropolitan region the fall of Afghanistan will cause a domino effect that will become a issue for all of us here is a small snippet from history

Arabsumf1.png

SELVAM

please do not be so naïve we are talking geo politics here @SELVAM not the election of the next mayor for the Greater Madras Metropolitan region the fall of Afghanistan will cause a domino effect that will become a issue for all of us here is a small snippet from history

View attachment 20770
We r not in 7th century. The mass invasions and capture of territories will not work in 21st century. Isis will probably kill more Muslims themselves. Friendly government in Afghanistan is good for us. But that doesn't mean we hav shed our blood to keep them in power.

Mangal

Country flag

View attachment 20770
To add to that we have rare chance where anti pak feelings are at their peak all over the world including US, Afghanistan and Iran and not to forget India their true lovers. We move in now we can divide and reduce Pakistan into a land locked nation. Everyone gets a chunk of land under their influence and everyone goes home happy. We we miss this window of opportunity now, we may be committing another historical blunder.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
We r not in 7th century. The mass invasions and capture of territories will not work in 21st century. Isis will probably kill more Muslims themselves. Friendly government in Afghanistan is good for us. But that doesn't mean we hav shed our blood to keep them in power.
Capture of territories and invasions will never go out of fashion. Russia annexed Cremia while unsc kept watching, kurds declared independence and catalans are under process of declaring a separate state. China captured Tibet not too long ago. Israel captured the golan heights from Syria in 67. All this happened in 21st century only. As @Mangal said Afghans can and should be brought together to break up Pak. I m sure they will like to eat abit of Pak too.

sorcerer

Country flag
USA could very well fixate on this and solve Afghan with India.
Taking just some important parts and highlighting here.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/02/201222112203196390.html
Should the US support an independent Balochistan?

A handful of US congressmen support creating an independent Balochistan, carved out of mostly Pakistani land.

This alternative policy centres on backing remnants of the Northern Alliance and Baloch insurgents, who seek to carve out semi-autonomous territories or independent states from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran

As a result of the hearing, witnesses - including Ralph Peters and M Hossein Bor - were able to argue that the dismemberment of Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan would serve the United States' long-term strategic interests. But, even more importantly, the hearing allowed the witnesses to inject their views into the larger debate on US foreign policy in Southwest Asia. This included Bor's controversial assertion (which was later censored in Pakistan) that supporting an independent Balochistan stretching from "the Strait of Hormuz to Karachi" would be a better policy approach than ongoing US efforts to counter the Iranian and Pakistani regimes

In the same breath, Gohmert provided one of the first definitive links between support for the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan and Baloch nationalists in Pakistan: "Let's talk about creating a Balochistan in the southern part of Pakistan. They'll stop the IEDs and all of the weaponry coming into Afghanistan, and we got a shot to win over there."

With these remarks, the two pillars of an alternative Afghanistan-Pakistan (Af-Pak) policy approach were now set: To advance its interests, the US should support the carving out of an independent Baloch state and semi-autonomous Afghan territories - even if it undermined existing US partnerships with the governments of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Baloch nationalists in the US diaspora - have increasingly sought to extend their cause beyond US foreign policy in the Af-Pak region. They appear to recognise the need to latch onto larger foreign policy issues as part of their efforts to garner mainstream support for their cause. Four of the most important include:

I. Punishing Pakistan for supporting terrorism and nuclear proliferation

II. Containing a rising China and an emerging Iran, and preventing Pakistan from achieving strategic depth

According to supporters, an independent Balochistan, "extending from Karachi to the Strait of Hormuz", would help to contain a rising China and an emerging Iran, provide a long-term security guarantee against China, Iran, and Pakistan emerging as maritime powers, and undermine the strengthening of strategic relationships between these three potential adversaries.

III. Providing the West with an opportunity to profit off of Southwest Asia's natural resources

Recognising "the tremendous deposits of oil, gas, and minerals" found within or made accessible through the Baloch and Northern Alliance territories, some supporters have argued that the West should advance the "Berlin Mandate" if for no other reason than self-serving economic interests.

IV. Preventing gross human rights violations and providing post-colonial nations their right to self-determination

While members of Congress have long condemned the Taliban and the Pakistani government for human rights violations, supporters - particularly Baloch nationalists - have used novel approaches in recent months to win over members of Congress. They have increasingly restrained themselves from leading with the genocide argument. Recognising that this argument has failed to win over Congress in the past, they have instead turned to a more complex argument: that the Baloch, like the South Sudanese and numerous minority groups in the former Yugoslavia, have won their right to self-determination because Pakistan and Iran have failed to provide basic human rights protections. Pakistan and Iran have, they argue, thereby forgone their sovereignty over Baloch territories - regardless of historical precedent.
---------
IMO the design deployed in 2012 is under play now

:popcorn:

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Capture of territories and invasions will never go out of fashion. Russia annexed Cremia while unsc kept watching, kurds declared independence and catalans are under process of declaring a separate state. China captured Tibet not too long ago. Israel captured the golan heights from Syria in 67. All this happened in 21st century only. As @Mangal said Afghans can and should be brought together to break up Pak. I m sure they will like to eat abit of Pak too.
let him be @indus there is no use reading the vadas to bull that is ragging to hurt you

@SELVAM
for your Kind information

Kalki_2018

Country flag
India will have troops in Afghanistan after we get back PoK. We need a secure path independent of third nation.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Chutiye nandan, Taliban supporter Taliban supporter hi karta rahega ki game plan bhi samjhaeyga or should we nuke every inch of CPEC like you said.:grin:

Do share a source where it says that Iran will be a partner in India's military adventure.
dear Iran will want Afghanistan in their kitty a stable Afghanistan with a stable government would be in their interest because I said if Afghanistan falls in to the hands of the ISIS then the Blow back for Iran will be huge so the Iranians will be onboard for any adventurism and besides we should deploy for our safety also as I said the safety of Delhi lays in Kabul

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles