Treasure worth over 1 Lac crore unearthed from padmanabhaswamy temple vault

anooj

The Supreme Court ordered preparation of the inventory while staying a Kerala High Court order instructing the state to take over the temple run by a trust controlled by the erstwhile Travancore Royal family. The trust had approached the apex court seeking to cancel the High Court order issued while considering a private petition which alleged that the management of the wealthy temple lacked transparency. Even as it stayed the High Court decision, the apex court ordered preparation of an inventory of the priceless articles stashed away in the temple cellars. One of the chambers opened yesterday was said to have been remained shut for 130 years. It turned out to be a virtual treasure trove of precious gold ornaments, jewels, stone-studded crowns, vessels, platters, lamps, solid gold objects and a wide range of other curios of immense hertiage and intrinsic value. Though the panel members had made it clear that assessing the monetary value of the articles was not their task, temple sources said the articles taken out and listed so far were worth thousands of crores of rupees. Of the remaning two chambers to be searched, one was partly opened but was found to have an inner recess whose unlocking was a delicate job, sources said. Meanwhile, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said security of the temple complex would be tightened in view of the development. (PTI)

anooj

Valuables to be stored in Padmanabhaswamy temple vaults

Thiruvananthapuram, Friday, July 01, 2011: The treasure trove of gold, silver, diamonds and precious stones estimated at Rs 50,000 crore that was unearthed from secret chambers in Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple here, will be stored in the temple vaults itself.

Valuables worth Rs 20,000 crore were found after the examination of vault-A on Thursday. The valuables include around 2000 gold chains, diamond studded crowns, gold bars, idols, coins, etc.

The court direction to prepare the inventory came following a public interest litigation moved by T P Sundara Rajan, who sought greater transparency and accountability in the management of the centuries-old temple, now controlled by a trust of the Travancore Royal family, ruler of the erstwhile Travancore state.

Valuables to be stored in Padmanabhaswamy temple vaults

Last edited:

JBH22

Money hidden away from British hands. $12 billion from 130 years ago shows how rich we were even then before the queen's rule.
They succeeded in hiding it from British but now BABUS will devour everything hehe

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ You read my mind. Now we are going to be deprived of this treasure as well. I wish it remained hidden till Shamocracy collapsed and real democracy came.

sob

Mod
Country flag
As per BBC report the current valuation is Rs 25 billion I.e US$ 500 million. However the exact value cannot be determined as many jewels have an antique value many times more than the actual metal value.

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
I used to be a regular visitor to this temple till late late 1990s(not far away from my home),where the devotees have an excellent view of idol of Vishnu depicted in a reclining position over the serpent Anantha in sanctum sanctorum.The British Government saluted the Lord with a 21-gun salute, a military tradition of colonial days, which was continued by the Indian army until the abolition of the privy purses by Government of India with Indira Gandhi as the Prime Minister.

These latest developments in the last few days augur all sort political parties to be a part of the administrative process of this famous temple.The treasure thats been unearthed was orginally kept by the kings/royal family who ruled those old times kept it as the reserve to the Travancore state.Now this will disappear in NO time..if not taken care of properly.

anooj

yesterday an atheist leader claimed this is not a Hindu property and The government should take over the temple wealth for public use

Last edited:

JBH22

now atheists are claim this is not a Hindu property and The government should take over the temple wealth for public use
Ya I wanted to know about this since it was found in a Hindu temple who has the moral and legal right on it and if the govt gets this should Hindus get this (I don't know how) or to the average Indian

anooj

Gold coins dating back thousands of years, gold necklaces as long as nine feet and weighing about 2.5 kg, about one tonne of the yellow metal in the shape of rice trinkets, sticks made of the yellow metal, sack full of diamonds, gold ropes, thousands of pieces of antique jewellery studded with diamonds and emeralds, crowns and other precious stones lay scattered in the chamber marked 'A'.

Friday threw up far more surprises in the form of 17 kg of gold coins dating back to the East India Company period, 18 kg of coins from Napolean's era, precious stones wrapped in silk bundles besides over 1,000 kg of gold in the form of coins and trinkets and a small elephant made of the yellow metal, sources said.

anooj

Ya I wanted to know about this since it was found in a Hindu temple who has the moral and legal right on it and if the govt gets this should Hindus get this (I don't know how) or to the average Indian
yes Hindus are owners of temple property , ,but they (atheist group) are claiming this is part of royal treasury and stashed it in temple to protect these riches from invaders

Last edited:

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
They succeeded in hiding it from British but now BABUS will devour everything hehe
State govt is already drooling. Why should the HC interfere in the trust? Surely, govt control will not mean ptranspency but more fudge.

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Legally and morally it belongs to the temple trust and trusttes are best placed to utilise. Govt control means muslim and xian control, whose partis make up 31 seats in the cailotion strength of 72. Money will go pay the salary and pensions of imams.

anooj

State govt is already drooling. Why should the HC interfere in the trust? Surely, govt control will not mean ptranspency but more fudge.
supreme court stayed that verdict of kerala high court .

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
If this money is of a royal family then it will be involved in litigation by the descendents

Only if it is offerings made to the temple by the devotees then the temple administrators can be the guardians of this property . But how many devotees come here

They should do something Like the Tirupati temple which is well administered and they help charitable institutions

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
If this money is of a royal family then it will be involved in litigation by the descendents
It is in the temple vaults and hence belongs to the temple.

Only if it is offerings made to the temple by the devotees then the temple administrators can be the guardians of this property . But how many devotees come here
That fabublous wealth was offered by the Rajas, different Rajas. Not only of Travancore but most likely others too.

They should do something Like the Tirupati temple which is well administered and they help charitable institutions
And TTD spends oney on xian churches and mosques and gives funds for imams's salary. This came out in a RTE querry. Same will happen here too.

Why TTD model is not imposed on dargahs like Ajmer?

pankaj nema

Country flag
Offerings made by Hindus at temples whether such offerings are done by Kings ( ie crores of rupees ) or by a poor man ( just one rupee coin) is basically given to God in GOOD faith for public welfare

Thereafter what happens to the money is the temple administrators responsibility

Whether they siphon off the money or use it wisely and then bring more devotees to the temple

We are NOT going to see a queue of people saying I want my money back

The government can use it for education , health and other such purposes AND if the money is really HUGE as some are saying Rs 50000 crores Then it can be even used for wiping out Kerala's DEBT

All state govts these days are having huge debts

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Does it belong to state govt to spend as they wish? Is it the responsibility of the temples to wipe off the govt debts? Then why not usurp the wealth of muslim shrines and xian church, incidentally the largest landlord in India?

Temple authirities can start education programmes, hospitals etc. Does Satya Sai Baba trust have not welfare programmes.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles