Transforming India's Concept of Marriage

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Zebra, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/india-arranged-marriages-matrimonial-websites.html?_r=0

By GARDINER HARRISAPRIL 24, 2015

3. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

it is still an arranged marriage, what the author wants Indians to be? divorcing at stage where they have 2-4 kids , having extramarital relations ? everything present in western world is not gold and honey.
    sofar the arranged marriage system has done good for Indian society, the veto of to be groom and brides is a good concept too.

4. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

Well, I think this is better.........

Swayamvara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

anupamsurey likes this.
  5. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Gardner Harris? No thanks I'd rather drink turpentine than read his drivel.

Free Karma likes this.
  6. Samar Rathi

Samar Rathi Regular Member

I am 26 and gonna marry soon and if someone will give me guarantee if i do love marriage i will be happy ever after then i will do it otherwise west can shut up and i am gonna follow our tradition.

Love is not the only pillar you need in marriage but understanding/respect/loyalty/similarities etc lots of things who matter more than love. It's just my views and i don't force them on anyone.

Mad Indian, warrior monk and Peter like this.
  7. Rashna

Rashna Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  8. Samar Rathi

Why so.......... ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  9. Rashna

lol. didn't u read his thread on saturday. He is an amalgam of sikh, hindu, jatt, rajput and various other entities and he says his army is ready to enforce khap panchayat systems in India. He is dead agains sagotra marriage. He bombarded me and @banglorean with private messages too. lolz.

10. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

I think there was a study that showed that arranged marriages tend to be more stable than love marriages. IMO the stability of marriages depends on the culture of the countries. Asian societies generally place the family over individual. This is the reason why India has a low rate of divorce. Divorce is never good as the kids from broken families suffer the worst. This is the reason why I think arranged marriages are better. However I do not support casteist discrimination in marriages.

11. Samar Rathi

Define sagotra marriage?

Lol he is one of those ,however khap can't be governing institute as it's social one but that's off topic regarding this thread.

12. Peter

JattHindustan considers love marriages as pratilom marriages. He also calls south Indians as dirty half castes. To him the entire white world is full of dirty MALECHS. :rofl::rofl:

Actually I cannot stop laughing when I read his posts. :laugh:

13. Samar Rathi

There is no casteist/religious discrimination my friend if someone don't want to marry someone than it's not discrimination but selection. Also money is new religion/caste these days i hope you understand my point.

Well yes indian place family over individual but when you marry someone in India she become part of your family so how can someone place family over family ?

14. Rashna

Hindus have a gotra system which disallows marriage in to the same gotra. It means u cannot marry your paternal cousin. Likewise if u find some match whose gotra and yours is same then during the horoscope matching it will be thrown out.

15. Samar Rathi

get his address i will present his case to khap and they will punish him :rofl: (fyi i am also jatt)

16. Samar Rathi

Yes we do and my family does it too. It's also related to health as if you marry your cousins then due to similarities in DNA your next generation will not be healthy.

that's why we don't marry our kins.

17. Peter

Ofc if people choose someone from their own caste then they are free to do so. However there are many reports that inter caste marriages in North Indian states are boycotted by their families. The OP`s article itself has mentioned such a case. I am against such practices.

18. Rashna

I agree, otherwise we would have had an in-bred retarded society.

Samar Rathi likes this.
  19. Samar Rathi

Of course my friend i am not denying it doesn't happen as i can you give you many case and i can give many case where family resisted in the start but toes in the line later. change in people mind takes time and we will overcome that in future as we are the next India generation. Education do wonders if you get it right.

But caste marriages also have pros as similarities in people thinking match and there is no compatibility issues after marriage , people don't think about small matters but they have the biggest impact after marriage life.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Peter likes this.
  20. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Love is only skin deep.

What is essential is compatibility.

There can never be compatibility in all factors.

But it should be for factors that are priority for the individuals.

In the US there is this social purity movement. I was seeing a TV channel showing the movement and its activities. Purity Balls are father-daughter dances celebrating moral purity. Abstinence until marriage is the focus for the girls, and living morally upright lives the focus for the dads. The girls pledge and a ring is put around their finger and they are told that only when they marry this ring will be replaced with the wedding ring.

The Purity Ball movement has moved beyond the evangelical Christian community and entered the American cultural mainstream.

Therefore, even such a swinging nation as the US is realising that 'swinging' is not the answer.

What happens here?

Prince of Morocco is near bred to the burnished sun. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Rashna and Peter like this.
  21. Rashna

Absolutely. Arranged marriages do lead to disillusionment too but the disillusionment is greater in love marriages. Love isn't necessarily compatibility.