Tragic Tale of a Pakistani Vegetarian

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I have seen Nigellea's show.

She is a bit of a dhongi or nayka chandi (in my language). A very false flash of smile and she uses tinned and canned stuff and that is hardly cooking!

Meat adds to muscle fibre, while that is less pronounced amongst vegetarians.

The art is eat less and don't listen to old wives tales of 'pet bharkar klhana'.

I knew of an officer who was 6 ft tall, muscular and very well built. His grandmother seeing him told him "Beta, tu to shukur gaya" :rofl:

It all depends on what one think is ideal!

noob101

Fruit Bat meat.

Bat Tracks | Down To Earth

I had it only once in childhood. Tastes great with lots chilly powder. cooked outdoors near a forest.
But beware some varieties carry rabies.
lol true bats do carry rabies but you cant get rabies by eating a bat.... the virus is in the salivary glands of the animal and only when it is directly injection in to the blood stream by a bit can you get rabies.... even if you were to eat a bats salivary gland the virus would either be destroyed by your stomach acid if not would just pass through you digestive system without causing any damage...

pmaitra

Brahmins in Bengal eat only fish. They consider FISH to be sacred.
Not only fish, but also mutton and beef (from Buffalo). You could visit Kalighat and offer an animal as sacrifice. Offering animals to Godess Kali is not limited to Bengal and the meat from such offerings is usually distributed as prasad, and as tradition goes, the Priest also has this prasad.

Fish is part of the diet of Bengalis because fish is a staple food of the region. Moreover, there is no rule anywhere that a Brahmin has to be vegetarian.

Fish is considered sacred, yes, in a sense. After Vijaya Dashami (end of Durga Puja), it is forbidden to eat Hilsa, and Hilsa consumption is resumed on Saraswati Puja. In fact, Hilsa is cooked on the day of Saraswati Puja and eaten after the Puja is complete. This rule was enforced through religion with the objective of keeping the population of Hilsa stable because winter is the breeding period of Hilsa.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is no animal sacrifices in Kalighat.

It has been banned by law!

Fish plays an important part of religious ritual.

Even for marriage, a huge fish is sent along with the exchange of gifts from the groom's side to the bride's sides.

pmaitra

Even for marriage, a huge fish is sent along with the exchange of gifts from the groom's side to the bride's sides.
That is news to me. I did visit Kalighat long time back and I have seen animal sacrifice being done there. Thanks for the info. When was it banned? Also, what is the status at Kamakshya Temple? I had seen animal sacrifice there as well.

Param

Even for marriage, a huge fish is sent along with the exchange of gifts from the groom's side to the bride's sides
LOL is it a live fish or a frozen one?

sukhish

One should have both because it is balanced diet rather than only eating vegetables or meat.

i have seen bengalis claiming to be pure vegetarians and then feasting on fish :rofl:
looks like i'm in minority on this forum.

Param

Not only fish, but also mutton and beef (from Buffalo). You could visit Kalighat and offer an animal as sacrifice. Offering animals to Godess Kali is not limited to Bengal and the meat from such offerings is usually distributed as prasad, and as tradition goes, the Priest also has this prasad.

Fish is part of the diet of Bengalis because fish is a staple food of the region. Moreover, there is no rule anywhere that a Brahmin has to be vegetarian.

Fish is considered sacred, yes, in a sense. After Vijaya Dashami (end of Durga Puja), it is forbidden to eat Hilsa, and Hilsa consumption is resumed on Saraswati Puja. In fact, Hilsa is cooked on the day of Saraswati Puja and eaten after the Puja is complete. This rule was enforced through religion with the objective of keeping the population of Hilsa stable because winter is the breeding period of Hilsa.
This should be an eye opener to those who site the Vedas for vegetarianism.

Btw, I consider Chicken as being sacred.

Last edited:

pmaitra

LOL is it a live fish or a frozen one?
Oftentimes, it is the Hilsa and a Hilsa is always dead. It is a deep water estuarine fish and they do not survive even in water with low pressure.

pmaitra

This should be an eye opener to those who site the Vedas for vegetarianism.
Well, there are plenty of examples of rishis eating meat, even human corpses in our religious texts. Even Agasthya Muni attained enlightenment after seeing a butcher and you can read this story in Mahabharata. Those that cite Vedas for vegetarianism actually don't know or have not read the Vedas. Even Chandogya Upanishad clearly states that all plants and animals are provided for humans to exploit and eat by Lord Vishnu.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Religious scripts are open to interpretation in all religions.

There are a variety of views on each aspect of religious nuances.

pmaitra

The Vyadha Gita (meaning, teachings of a butcher)

The Vyadha Gita (meaning, teachings of a butcher) is a part of the epic Mahabharata and consists of the teachings imparted by a vyadha (Butcher) to a brahmin sannyasin (monk). It occurs in the Vana Parva section of Mahabharata and is told to Yudhisthira, a Pandava by sage Markandeya.[1] In the story, an arrogant sannyasin is humbled by a Vyadha, and learns about dharma (righteousness). The vyadha teaches that "no duty is ugly, no duty is impure" and it is only the way in which the work is done, determines its worth. Scholar Satya P. Agarwal considers Vyadha Gita to be one of the popular narrations in the Mahabharata.[1]

Story

The story has only three characters—a brahmin sannyasin, a housewife and a vyadha (butcher).[1] The story begins with a young sannyasin going to a forest, where he meditates and practices spiritual austerities for a long time. After years of practice, one day while sitting under a tree, dry leaves fall on his head because of a fight between a crow and a crane. The angry sannyasin had developed yogic powers and burnt the birds with his mere look.[2] This incident fills the sannyasin with arrogance.[1] Shortly thereafter, he goes to a house, begging for food. Here the housewife who was nursing her sick husband requests the sannyasin to wait. To this, the sannyasin thinks, "You wretched woman, how dare you make me wait! You do not know my power yet",[2] to which the housewife says that she is neither a crow nor a crane, to be burnt.[2] The sannyasin is amazed and asks her how she came to know about the bird. The housewife says that she did not practice any austerities and by doing her duty with cheerfulness and wholeheartedness, she became illumined[3] and thus could read his thoughts.[2] She redirects him to a dharma-vyadha (meaning, the righteous butcher) in the town of Mithila and says that the dharma-vyadha would answer all his questions on dharma.[4] The sannyasin goes to see the vyadha and overcoming his initial hesitation,[2] listens to his teachings, which is referred to as Vyadha Gita—and even puts them into practice.[1]

Source: Vyadha Gita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

arya

Country flag
veg is an good option but rest depends on personal choice

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
LOL, fish is non-vegetarian; although in Germany, fish and shrimps would fall under vegetarian.

In any event, even milk should considered non-vegetarian because it contains animal protein. Therefore, paneer and other milk products also fall under non-vegetarian category.
Now that's an intresting topic since different versions of Vegetarianism are found in different cultures/countries like Lacto-Vegetarian, Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian(or Eggetarians), Pescatarian(Fishetarian),Vegans,Fruitarian etc etc.

btw I have created a NEW thread specifically for this discussion so that we can spare this thread as it belongs to "Tragic Tale of a Pakistani Vegetarian".

Vegetarian & Non-Vegetarian Discussion Thread (myths,facts,knowledge)

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
vegetarianism annoys me.
Does it annoy you more than the time you saw a goat dumping on your mountain i mean god? Vegetarianism has its own logic, at the end of it vegetables and fruits have an seed inside, dont ask me the question animals reproduce too then why can not we kill them, use your own critical thinking before you put lazy fu(ward questions to me.

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
I guess eating the flesh of animals would be a necessity in places where plants and fruits are not available, such as in desert regions, colder regions where winter kills all vegetation etc. In India vegetarianism might have come about due to our equable weather wherein we have vegetables and fruits throughout the year in most parts.

Vegetarianism is definitely good for Mother Earth as it is less wasteful of natural resources to grow grains, fruit and veggies than beef and other livestock.

Arunpillai

Cant help empathising with the author. I too get the same looks and reactions from my friends n relatives when i tell them i'm a veggie.. Most people's reaction vary from shock(as if i told em i got cancer) to concern(kyu, kya hua, sab theek to hai?) to being offended(kya khana acha nahi hai?)..

TheLord

I have consumed...

Mutton, Chicken, Fish, Crab (both from salt water and pure water), Prawn, Snails (those living in water), Quail, Termite flies, Pork, Beef

and trying to eat..

Bats, Monitor lizard and many more.

Twinblade

Country flag
I have consumed...

Mutton, Chicken, Fish, Crab (both from salt water and pure water), Prawn, Snails (those living in water), Quail, Termite flies, Pork, Beef

and trying to eat..

Bats, Monitor lizard and many more.
You, my friend, deserve this T-shirt :)

I am getting one for my monthly brunch get together :D.
Nothing pleases me more than pissing off vegetarians, teetotalers and people who pretend to cough when they see me smoking.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles