Tracking Indian Economy till general elections 2019

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
DeMonetization was done to reduce terror funding. Fine.
What was ReMonetization done for? To increase terror funding?
Expected a better explanation from a person like you. Anyways, a few data points for you.

There is a difference b/w terrorists pushed from Pakistan and home-grown terrorism. The Demonitization can only affect the latter. The terrorists killed year did not put up much of a fight due to lack of sophisticated arms.
This stat:
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/8X...-Sharma-set-to-begin-Kashmir-peace-talks.html

According to the Union home ministry’s statistics, while 2017 (till 30 September) recorded 564 cases of stone-pelting, 2016 recorded 1,742 such incidents.
I suppose, I don't have to explain the reason to you.

Based on YoY stats, this has been the best year for the Indian Army for hunting down terrorists, you just can't say 2012 based on the casualties ratio.

@hammer head bhai, I suppose you will be able to explain this better.

Personally, I am glad we had Manmohan SIngh at the top in 2008 (year the recession manifested), and not this lousy leadership we have today.
This is one of the funniest things I have read recently on DFI. Now, almost any sarkar would have gotten through it. For understanding why we got through the recession, you should understand Indian society in general, and you'll get the reason why it survived. Indian society is deeply entangled with the Indian Economy. I really hope you don't fall in the pit created by economists.

pmaitra

My data is my boots which are on the ground here, No new weapons and sophisticated gears so does they lack informants ..
So, you have no data. Good.

Sorry Kunal, I prefer to believe in the statistics over de facto anonymous claims.

pmaitra

Expected a better explanation from a person like you. Anyways, a few data points for you.

There is a difference b/w terrorists pushed from Pakistan and home-grown terrorism. The Demonitization can only affect the latter. The terrorists killed year did not put up much of a fight due to lack of sophisticated arms.
This stat:
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/8X...-Sharma-set-to-begin-Kashmir-peace-talks.html

I suppose, I don't have to explain the reason to you.

Based on YoY stats, this has been the best year for the Indian Army for hunting down terrorists, you just can't say 2012 based on the casualties ratio.

@hammer head bhai, I suppose you will be able to explain this better.

This is one of the funniest things I have read recently on DFI. Now, almost any sarkar would have gotten through it. For understanding why we got through the recession, you should understand Indian society in general, and you'll get the reason why it survived. Indian society is deeply entangled with the Indian Economy. I really hope you don't fall in the pit created by economists.
The objective should be to look at the facts, not to defend a claim that is patently false. What the defense minister said is a false statement.

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
The objective should be to look at the facts, not to defend a claim that is patently false. What the defense minister said is a false statement.
How so? What are the facts?

The fact is that this has the been the best year of outing for the Indian Army in kills. This year there has been a 300% reduction in stone-pelting incidents compared to last year. This year has seen Hurriyat clamoring due to shortage of funds. This year has seen a drop in LWE activities

LWE.jpeg

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Oh, yes, you are right.

This guy is busy releasing short bursts of sweet nothings to the press. Everyday, I see some news about this. Looking forward to a white paper from him.

Today, even the Defence Minister jumped in the fray: Demonetisation 'choked funds to terrorism': Defence minister

While the Ministry of Finance does not come under her jurisdiction, the Ministry of Defence does. So, she has a legitimate position to comment from.

We were told, DeMonetization was done to reduce terror funding.

Has it worked?

A look at the data indicates that there has been no significant reduction in terrorist attacks or casualties.

Coming to casualties, if we look at the past 5 years (excluding 2017, because it is not over yet), the best year was 2012.
View attachment 21478

So, we come back to the original claim:

DeMonetization was done to reduce terror funding. Fine.
What was ReMonetization done for? To increase terror funding? :crazy:

Now, if demonetization is linked to terrorism, then the casualty count should also include those killed standing in front of queues. I don't think Jaitley would be particularly enthusiastic about this idea though. [emoji4] He is busy attacking Manmohan Singh instead.

Personally, I am glad we had Manmohan SIngh at the top in 2008 (year the recession manifested), and not this lousy leadership we have today.
So all the enforcement directorate cases against Hurriyat must be a miracle then....

Let’s all praise the lord....

Clue: all these cases against Hurriyat got solidified when a hawala guy was arrested in Delhi during demonetisation.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Let it be clear, It just your view ..

Their is nothing wrong with the statistics you have posted, I never said anything against your statistics, but rest is in your post which i find false, Their is nothing wrong our RM said or ground commander who updated her ..

If you are tracking developments, then you should know that all links regards to such developments are already posted in CT threads, you should give a read into it ..

So, you have no data. Good.

Sorry Kunal, I prefer to believe in the statistics over de facto anonymous claims.

pmaitra

How so? What are the facts?

The fact is that this has the been the best year of outing for the Indian Army in kills. This year there has been a 300% reduction in stone-pelting incidents compared to last year. This year has seen Hurriyat clamoring due to shortage of funds. This year has seen a drop in LWE activities

Thank you. I appreciate you providing data. This is a better way to debate.

Civilian casualties have gone down. SFC casualties have gone up. Insurgent casualties have gone down too.

Frankly, I do not see any significant improvement. It is a mixture of good and bad.

mayfair

pmaitra

Let it be clear, It just your view which is apart from rest in armed forces or let it be majority of citizens ..

Their is nothing wrong with the statistics you have posted but rest is in your post which i find false ..
My view is with the statistics. You admit there is nothing wrong with the statistics. So, thank you for that.

I don't know who exactly speaks for the armed forces. The majority of citizens swing opinions based on how much propaganda they are fed.

If you have any official statement that contradicts the statistics, then please share. Anecdotal claims are not conclusive.

pmaitra

You have quoted the stats for Anti-naxal ops. They are also skewed due to the Sukma ambush where we lost 25 jawans in one go.

For J&K, this is the table you should be looking at

http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries/india/states/jandk/data_sheets/annual_casualties.htm

But even this table combines all SF casualties into one i.e. those from CI ops and those due to LoC firing.
The link you posted is the link I had posted in my initial post. However, @Nanjesh Patel is free to post that table he has posted.

The reason I posted that link (that you also posted) is because Nirmala Sitharaman is the Minister of Defence, not the Minister of Home Affairs.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Bank Transaction Tax (BTT) is the best form of taxation as it is auto-compliant, and without any discrimination and political influence. We demand that the complete existing taxation system is replaced by a single, effective Tax- the BTT.
Idea is good but impossible to implement. Some economists have commented that this so called transaction tax is a foolish idea and a joke!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Your view add more than the statistics ..

You follow up this portal, It talks about the RM`s statement when this rule was put in effect, Its not feasible for me to dig out such a old story now ..

Follow : https://www.facebook.com/Indianarmy.adgpi/

My view is with the statistics. You admit there is nothing wrong with the statistics. So, thank you for that.

I don't know who exactly speaks for the armed forces. The majority of citizens swing opinions based on how much propaganda they are fed.

If you have any official statement that contradicts the statistics, then please share. Anecdotal claims are not conclusive.

pmaitra

Your view add more than the statistics ..

You follow up this portal, It takes about the RM`s statement when this was rule was put in effect, Its not feasible for me to dig out such a old story now ..

Follow : https://www.facebook.com/Indianarmy.adgpi/
Then ignore my views. That you agree with the statistics is good enough for me.

I cannot take the Defence Minister's statement as a baseline source of truth when I am challenging the claims from the Defence Minister. She is a politician after all.

P.S.: I am not on Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter (but I do follow some accounts on Syria). So, I am not primed by information.

Last edited:

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
You have quoted the stats for Anti-naxal ops. They are also skewed due to the Sukma ambush where we lost 25 jawans in one go.
Yes. When I posted the pic, I thought I should state that fact, but then thought it was implied and understood.

Civilian casualties have gone down. SFC casualties have gone up. Insurgent casualties have gone down too.
SFC casualties went up due to one Sukma incident, but an incident nevertheless.

Idea is good but impossible to implement. Some economists have commented that this so called transaction tax is a foolish idea and a joke!
It is possible to implement. In fact, with BTT in place, the govt. can earn much more revenue than almost any other tax, and it would give way for income tax abolition. And the economists who have made fun of BTT are the same who say DeMo was a failure.

KumarG

Country flag
Thank you. I appreciate you providing data. This is a better way to debate.

Frankly, I do not see any significant improvement. It is a mixture of good and bad.
Without taking any sides in the argument, I would like to add that casualties as indicators of effectiveness of reduction in terror funding is probably a flawed statistic:
  • Smaller number of incidents can have large casualties, aka "fat tail" distributions
  • Counter-intuitively, the number of incidents prevented pre- and post- could be a better indicator. But such stats would be classified
  • Amount of "new" weapons or ammo confiscated pre- and post- could be another useful stat
  • Number of arrests or tips-off could be another one

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
So where is #StartupIndia after PM Modi had launched it in January 2016.

* 15 states now have policies. Of which 11 had formulated after launch

* 4500 plus startups recognised so far and 74 given tax exemptions

* Rs. 10000 crores available through SIDBI to raise another 45k crores in next 7 years

* Upto 80 crores (facilitating raising an equivalent of 320 crores capital) disbursed

* Getting patent in less than one year (actual 273 days) as opposed to usual time of upto 5 years. This is by far the most remarkable thing in IPR that has been done.

* 67000 plus queries mostly from Tier 2 and 3 cities answered. Exchange programs with other countries conducted.

* Startup yatra - we go to Tier 2 and 3 cities in Engineering colleges and invite upto 200 to 300 students to offer their ideas and directing them to incubators and mentors.

* Startup India Hub - a LinkedIn, Quora, cum FB group type platform combined for Startups, connecting mentors, Incubators, Angel Investors and fellow Startups in one place.

We understand the job doesn’t end with the introduction of policy but starts with it so we keep listening and make changes accordingly and provide incubators and mentors right from the school levels to identify and encourage entrepreneurship

~ Aditya Sharma, Startup India, Invest India of DIPP in #TiECon2017

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this is not the best, but a start.

sorcerer

Country flag
Agri sector's contribution to GDP up by 2%: Arjun Ram Meghwal

Union Minister of State for Water ResourcesArjun Ram Meghwaltoday said the
agriculture sector's contribution to the country'sGDPhas increased under the present government's rule.

Speaking at the closing ceremony of global agritech meet here, the minister also encouraged farmers to focus on growing horticulture and commercial crops to increase their income.

Meghwal said the role of agriculture sector in GDP has increased by 2 per cent and now the efforts will have to be made to further enhance it.

He said the state government is taking all steps and initiatives to double the income of farmers by the year 2022 and the farming community should also focus on horticulture and commercial crops to get more income.

Union Minister of State for Law P P Chaudhary highlighted the steps taken by both the Centre and the state government for the welfare of farmers.

He said that more than seven crore soil health cards have been distributed and the government has taken steps to check black marketing of urea which has benefited farmers.

The state agriculture minister, experts of the farming sector, farmers and others were present on the occasion.

The event began on Monday which was participated by experts, farmers and companies.

The government also signed an MoU with companies in the area of food processing, cold storage and ware house, training and education, green house farming, among others.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-2-arjun-ram-meghwal/articleshow/61583924.cms

sorcerer

Country flag
India plans 20GW solar tender, eyes domestic manufacturing boost

New Delhi: India plans to invite bids for setting up 20 gigawatts (GW) of solar power capacity—the world’s largest solar tender—at one go, in an attempt to spur domestic manufacturing of solar power equipment.

The effort will help further lower the country’s solar power tariffs and provide a boost to the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government’s Make in India plans.

Most solar power developers in India have been sourcing solar modules and equipment from countries such as China, where they are cheaper. This has resulted in domestic manufacturers accounting for only around 10% of the market despite India having an ambitious 175GW clean energy target by 2022, of which 100GW is to come from solar projects.

“We are planning to introduce the idea of mega bids to boost solar equipment manufacturing in India. This may also result in a substantial reduction in tariffs,” a senior government official said on condition of anonymity.

According to the contours of the tender being worked out, the ministry of new and renewable energy (MNRE) plans to award these contracts to developers who will quote the lowest price at which they will sell electricity in the auction process for the grid-linked capacity. The projects are expected to be commissioned in phases.

“The tender is being conceptualized by MNRE. These contracts will be awarded in one go with developers to construct projects in phases. Once people see visibility of such projects, then manufacturing can kick in,” said a second person aware of the development, who declined to be named.

Solar modules, or panels, account for nearly 60% of a solar power project’s cost. For China’s solar panel manufacturers, with a capacity estimated to be around 70GW per year, the major markets are the US, India and China itself.

Solar tariffs fell to a record low of Rs2.44 per kilowatt hour (kWh) in May, and firmed up to Rs2.65 per kWh in an auction by the Gujarat government in September. These tariff levels are lower than the average rate of power generated by coal-fuelled projects of India’s largest power generation utility, NTPC Ltd.

“The mega tender has been in discussions. For it to be effective, a holistic view needs to be taken with reference to land availability and the evacuation of the electricity generated,” said another government official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity.

The consultations have started, but there are issues in terms of land and evacuation of power, added the first government official.

Raj Kumar Singh, minister for power and new and renewable energy, has announced that 20GW each of wind and solar power contracts will be auctioned to help India achieve its ambitious clean energy target by 2022. “It is a good plan but will face the challenges of who will sign the PPAs (power purchase agreements) of this quantum? That has to be planned,” said the second person cited earlier.

The solar industry welcomed the move; firms are hoping problems associated with the sector are adequately addressed.

“It is a great move. Bidding pipeline has gone dry for quite some time and this is very much welcome. This reinforces the government’s commitment to solar... I would also hope that issues related to land acquisition, electricity evacuation and PPAs are simultaneously addressed,” said Sanjay Aggarwal, managing director at Fortum India Pvt. Ltd.

The tender comes against the backdrop of concerns that declining green energy tariffs may result in electricity offtake commitments from wind and solar projects at higher tariffs not being honoured.

“One needs to accept the new reality that with the current module prices and looking at their trend in coming months, it’s hard to imagine that tariffs would be sub-Rs3 per unit,” added Aggarwal.

Queries emailed to an MNRE spokesperson remained unanswered.

Seized of the issue, the government has planned a legal route for power sector reforms that include enforcement of signed PPAs, making it mandatory for any power distribution company to have PPAs covering 100% of the annual average demand, penalties in the event of electricity generators’ dues not being cleared in time and statutory renewable purchase obligations.

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/Ck...lar-tender-eyes-domestic-manufacturing-b.html

Country flag
It did stopped terror funding to a great extend & Its effects are still on ..
Earlier Pakis would print Rs 1000 and 500 in Pakistan and send to Kashmir directly, now they have to loot ATMS and Banks.

The secret template India uses to print currency notes has been "compromised" and that is possibly why fake but real-looking Indian currency notes are being pumped in to subvert the country's economy, says the Central Bureau of Investigation.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...plate-compromised-CBI/articleshow/4890917.cms

MUMBAI: Hundreds of crores of rupees that have apparently never been printed have mysteriously made it to the vaults of the Reserve Bank of India over the years. Records show that millions of ghost notes - notes that have not been produced at our nation's mints - are somehow reaching the RBI.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Millions-of-notes-not-printed-in-mints-land-in-RBI-vaults/articleshow/21586723.cms

10 years of UPA was a period of cancerous treason and It happened right from the PMO, I have no hesitation in saying that.

Country flag
Do you even recall what Manmohan Singh did back in 2008 ?
  1. He announced a financial Package of almost 4 lakh crore for Industrialists.
  2. The package brought liquidity in the market and created a big bubble.
  3. This brought inflation above 10-12% in some quarters even 16%.
  4. Interest rates became very high and the output of 4 lakh core had no buyers.
  5. This is why many power station are running below capacity an empty flats and half constructed apartments are yet to find any buyers.
  6. The government debt in all this swelled exponentially and account deficits ran from 11% to 7.9% every year.
  7. By 2013 India had some 270 billion $$ in reserves which was not enough to even by the annual Oil, Coal and Gold, requirements yes India was heavily importing coal those days second only to oil, you should go and ask Manmohan Singh why ? Because it was related to his office.
I am not an economist But the way the situation post 2008 crisis was handled was outright mismanagement where they didn't even try to do course correction once things went wrong, I still recall the Press conference of the then FM in 2013/14 where he laid out his plans for a further package of 1.2 lakh crore for even more coal based power plants.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles