Too little too late, says singer S Janaki turning down Padma Bhushan

KS

Bye bye DFI
http://www.firstpost.com/india/too-little-too-late-says-singer-s-janaki-turning-down-padma-bhushan-602995.html

Veteran playback singer Sreeramamurthy Janaki said she will not accept the Padma Bhushan national award that has been announced on the grounds that too few people from south India seemed to figure in the awards list and that the award had been conferred too late.

""I refuse the Padma award"¦ I have been singing for the last 55 years. I consider the recognition of my fans in various languages as the highest award," she told reporters at Ottappalam in Kerala.

However, 75-year old Janaki, who has over 20,000 songs in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Hindi to her credit, said she had no grouse against the government.

Janaki has a large volume of work in multiple languages. Image courtesy ibnlive
"I have been singing for the last 55 years. I have sung a variety of songs in many languages. They all appreciated my songs. Even you Malayalees often say that my pronunciation is correct. So what else I require than the recognition from the people," she said.

"I have no complaint towards the government. I don't think the government has done anything wrong. But I have decided to refuse Padma award," Janaki said.

Janaki, who had won four national awards, was chosen in the art category among the 24 Padma Bhushan awardees in different fields announced on the eve of the Republic Day.

Her son Murali Krishna, talking to PTI over phone, said the honour to his mother came too late.

"It has come too late. She should have got it long long time ago. She has refused to accept the award with due respect," he said.

He also said they were not informed about the award being given to her and they learnt about it only through "some body else".

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Re: Too little too late, says singer S Janaki turning down Padma Bhush

This is why before awarding the Nobel Prize, a private intimation is sent to the winner asking him whether he would accept it. Only if he says yes is his name publicly announced and he's invited to the ceremony. If he says yes, but later refuses the prize, he comes out looking like a fool. :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles