Today is Swami Vivekananda's 150 Birth Anniversary! India Celebrating?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It has become a fashion to hound any one who talks about Hinduism (Sanatan Dharma), any country keeps sensitivities of majority in mind, but in our country it is fashionable to ridicule it.

Nagraj

He is someone who taught me to use common sense when it came to religion.
thanks to him i am almost an atheist instead of a mindless zombie.
A great guy:thumb:

ashika@PiramalGroup

Swami Vivekanand made several contributions to our country. He revealed the true foundations of our culture and thus clearly defined and strengthened the sense of unity as a nation. We should certainly celebrate this occasion.

A great leader.

Oracle

Happy Birthday to a great human being. Let's keep politics aside, atleast for this person.

niharjhatn

One of the greatest sages to ever grace the earth in the modern age.

His address to the world parliament of religions in Chicago in 1983 is still one of the most beautiful speeches I have read.

My thanks, also, to some of the speakers on this platform who, referring to the delegates from the Orient, have told you that these men from far-off nations may well claim the honor of bearing to different lands the idea of toleration. I am proud to belong to a religion which has taught the world both tolerance and universal acceptance. We believe not only in universal toleration, but we accept all religions as true. I am proud to belong to a nation which has sheltered the persecuted and the refugees of all religions and all nations of the earth. I am proud to tell you that we have gathered in our bosom the purest remnant of the Israelites, who came to Southern India and took refuge with us in the very year in which their holy temple was shattered to pieces by Roman tyranny. I am proud to belong to the religion which has sheltered and is still fostering the remnant of the grand Zoroastrian nation. I will quote to you, brethren, a few lines from a hymn which I remember to have repeated from my earliest boyhood, which is every day repeated by millions of human beings: "As the different streams having their sources in different paths which men take through different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to Thee."
Vivekananda at the 1893 World Parliament of Religions

But he wasn't a blind supporter of hinduism - his scathing remarks regarding the evolution of Brahminism and its corruption of original ideas is testament to that.

A well travelled man, who had visited France and Japan and other Oriental countries as well.

I thoroughly recommend everyone, hindu or not, indian or not, to purchase a copy of his speeches and read them - they are in beautifully eloquent english, and he conveys some of the purest ideas I daresay you will not be able to get anywhere else.

Nagraj

Dude Do introduce yourself :) in a new thread.
Swami Vivekanand made several contributions to our country. He revealed the true foundations of our culture and thus clearly defined and strengthened the sense of unity as a nation. We should certainly celebrate this occasion.

A great leader.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I am happy that his birthday or his work is not celebrated by mainstream Indians. I am happy that political parties are not making capital of his image to fight with each other. I am happy those faithless goons are not celebrating his birthday, like that could be any value addition. I am happy that he is out of any controversy created for political/social scoring.

Person like Swami Vivekananda does not need materialistic symbolism which Indians eat everyday to feel good about their existence. If you read him, one can easily understand that his thoughts were universal rather than specifically related to Hinduism. I don't see him from glasses of religion, maybe that could be only me.

Having said that, I did not know if today was Swami's 150th Birth Anniversary. But his teachings & thoughts will always be with me, thanks to my late grandfather who used to take me to Ramkrishna Math in Dhantoli & buy me those books in childhood.

Vyom

Seeker
If you read him, one can easily understand that his thoughts were universal rather than specifically related to Hinduism. I don't see him from glasses of religion, maybe that could be only me.
Hinduism (Sanatam Dharm) is anyway universal There is no specificity about it, it has evolved naturally.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Hinduism (Sanatam Dharm) is anyway universal There is no specificity about it, it has evolved naturally.
There is obvious difference between other writings & that of Swami Vivekananda's teachings.

Tamil Arasan

Sisters and Brothers of America....I am proud to belong to a religion which have thought the world both tolerances and universal acceptance, we believe not only in universal toleration but we acceptance all religion as true...I am proud to belong to a religion which has sheltered the persecuted and refuges of all religions and nations of the earth. I am proud to tell you that we have gathered in our bosom the purest remnant of the Israelite who came to Southern India and took refuge with us in the very year in which their holy temples was shattered to pieces by Roman tyranny...

please watch the below video for the further speech of Swami...

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
And which is?
I wouldn't deviate the topic. I found the difference. Obviously it is individual perception. If do not find it, then it is your opinion.

Vyom

Seeker
I wouldn't deviate the topic. I found the difference. Obviously it is individual perception. If do not find it, then it is your opinion.
I am merely curious as to what Vivekanand brought to forefront that is different?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Today is Swami Vivekananda's 150th Birth Anniversary.

How many know that?

Is India celebrating the occasion?

Yet, we quote him whenever we want to moralise and mount the high horse!
Sometimes it almost seems as if there is a concerted effort by the government to make Indians forget the fiery orators and revolutionaries in every discipline we one had , we have long promoted the story of mahatma Gandhi at the cost of all our other great leaders like swamiji

(swamiji though not a political leader had and has a mass following to rival even the greatest politicos of his time)!

lemontree

Professional
The Ramakrishna Mission is a legacy of this great philosoper and sprititual guide. His is responsible for enlightening the western world about Hinduism and there are very few societies who are as secular like the Ramakrishna Mission.

It would be nice for people to visit this mission first before even commenting that Hindu supporters are hounded about in this country. Walk the talk...

SpArK

SORCERER
Today is Swami Vivekananda's 150th Birth Anniversary.

How many know that?

Is India celebrating the occasion?

Yet, we quote him whenever we want to moralise and mount the high horse!
Saw the thread late.

I was very honored to be in part of a meeting inside Kowdiar palace , TVM with the king of travancore as guest to commemorate the anniversary .

The Krishna shila (black rock) where swami vivekananda rested was brought to the palace premises.

The function was of a small one with cultural greats and few political dignitaries participating. .

All in all it was a great experience to be part of it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles