Tipu Sultan and The Hindu Ring

ghost

The ring, belonging to the Muslim ruler Tipu Sultan, was inscribed with the name of Ram, a Hindu God

A ring belonging to an 18th Century Indian ruler has been sold at an auction in London amid criticism from heritage groups.

The jewelled golden ring was sold for £145,000 by Christie's auction house.

It belonged to Tipu Sultan, a Muslim king, and is notable because it was inscribed with the name of a Hindu God.

Tipu Sultan is best known for fighting against British rule in India. The ring is thought to have been taken from him by a British general as he lay dead.

The 41.2g ring was sold to an undisclosed bidder for almost 10 times its estimated price at the auction in central London, according to Christie's website.

It is inscribed with the name of the Hindu God Ram in raised Devanagri script. Some say this shows that the king was more sympathetic to Hindus than previously thought.

The ring was allegedly taken from the slain body of Tipu Sultan at the end of the 1799 Srirangappattinam battle he fought against the British East India Company's forces.

The auction listing noted that "it is surprising that a ring bearing the name of a Hindu god would have been worn by the great Muslim warrior".

BBC News - Controversial Indian ring auctioned at Christie's

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Good he murdered and plundered Hindus, hence he reaped what he sowed :)
he doesn't killed hindus but brahmins
peshwa betrayed him and signed treaty with british without even asking him (peshwa and tipu with nizam were in alliance against british) so angry tipu murdered brahmins , may be that sing was used by him before this incident

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
he doesn't killed hindus but brahmins
peshwa betrayed him and signed treaty with british without even asking him (peshwa and tipu with nizam were in alliance against british) so angry tipu murdered brahmins , may be that sing was used by him before this incident
Brahmins are hindus.Killing anyone is an evil thing if the cause is not justified.
Anway I don`t think we can judge Tipu`s actions from today`s perspectives. He fought against the cruel British and died a martyr`s death. That is all that matters.

JBH22

Brahmins are hindus.Killing anyone is an evil thing if the cause is not justified.
Anway I don`t think we can judge Tipu`s actions from today`s perspectives. He fought against the cruel British and died a martyr`s death. That is all that matters.
Martyr death. You must be joking. He fought to retain his kingdom, but glad that British overran and slain him.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Martyr death. You must be joking. He fought to retain his kingdom, but glad that British overran and slain him.
Whatever he fought the British. India as a political union we know today did not exist in the times of Tipu Sultan. Everyone was fighting for his/her kingdom. There was no French/Westphalian nationalism existent then. Everyone was busy saving his own skin.

Yes I do admit his oppression of Hindus was probably a blot on his work but one cannot deny that he was a martyr in the fight against the British.

Last edited:

Arun thevar

Guys what the hell are you'll talking about.
I have been here in this forum for much longer than many around and am a silent observer of the happenings across the spectrum.
I generally stay away from commenting and threads like these when start getting derailed, hurts me.
To know and understand Tipu the Tiger, you guys will need some good fact finding and rethink on your perceptions.
Tipu was not a Hindu killer as it is portrayed, he fought with various rulers during his life time as all others in the region did, Please dont make it a Hindu-Muslim subject of debate.
Secondly, he has assisted many rulers down south who were Hindu for their rightful fight against the British, notably Palazhi Raja of VENNAD(Kerala).
He was one of the first rulers to oppose the British outright calling them invaders and unlike many in north who had revolted only when their interests were compromised.
Third for those who have no clue, one more interesting fact other than this ring, Tipu's palace had a Mandir in the courtyard, and he offen visited to seek blessings.
Please as Indians get your facts right brother.
Salute and Respect to the Great Tiger TIPU SULTAN.

Last edited:

Ajesh

He had supposedly killed a lot of Hindus in Malabar, Kerala. He was obsessed about the gold in the temples

Arun thevar

He had supposedly killed a lot of Hindus in Malabar, Kerala. He was obsessed about the gold in the temples
Brother, i myself am a mallu, The killlings were more of a result of invasion and it used to happen in cases of Hindu kings invading others too, take the case of Pandiya's-Chola's, Maurya-Kalinga and so on, the plundering of temples were more of a local commander level happenings, and again not just restricted to Tipu, many hindu kings the past have looted temples and even taken away the Deity to there own land, such happenings are filled throughout the History of our nation across regions, you don't have to paint it with a religious color that's what i ment, as this case is totally different from the case of Arab, Turkish and Afghan invaders, Tipu and his father Hyder Ali were one of the few Indian muslim rulers who ruled over parts of our country.
Please don't judge things with prefixed notions, You must take into consideration various happenings and the political scenario of our country back then.
Te concept of a united union of India didn't even exist then.

Ajesh

Brother, i myself am a mallu, The killlings were more of a result of invasion and it used to happen in cases of Hindu kings invading others too, take the case of Pandiya's-Chola's, Maurya-Kalinga and so on, the plundering of temples were more of a local commander level happenings, and again not just restricted to Tipu, many hindu kings the past have looted temples and even taken away the Deity to there own land, such happenings are filled throughout the History of our nation across regions, you don't have to paint it with a religious color that's what i ment, as this case is totally different from the case of Arab, Turkish and Afghan invaders, Tipu and his father Hyder Ali were one of the few Indian muslim rulers who ruled over parts of our country.
Please don't judge things with prefixed notions, You must take into consideration various happenings and the political scenario of our country back then.
The Whole Nair Population in Malabar was reduced to around 10 or 15 % because of Tipu Sultan and British Nexus. EVentually Tipu turned against British but at those time they worked in tandem to infiltrate Malabar and kill a lot of Local Population.

But its obvious that these things those affect you, the reason being .......?

parijataka

Country flag
Tipu Sultan has a chequered record w.r.t. religious tolerance - within his own kingdom he maintained good relations with all communities. In areas which he invaded however he demolished churches and temples, forcibly converting Hindus and Christians to Islam.

Ajesh

First of all, call yourself as a Malayali not a Mallu. Have some pride Man.

Next,There were many atrocities committed by Tipu Sultan in Malabar, Many were forcibly converted, temples were looted and destroyed.

I am surprised you have a positive outlook against Tipu Sultan.

This is what he said about his Malabar invasion

"Don't you know I have achieved a great victory recently in Malabar and over four lakh Hindus were converted to Islam? I am determined to march against that cursed Raman Nair (Rajah of Travancore) very soon. Since I am overjoyed at the prospect of converting him and his subjects to Islam, I have happily abandoned the idea of going back to Srirangapatanam now."[57]

Arun thevar

The Whole Nair Population in Malabar was reduced to around 10 or 15 % because of Tipu Sultan and British Nexus. EVentually Tipu turned against British but at those time they worked in tandem to infiltrate Malabar and kill a lot of Local Population.

But its obvious that these things those affect you, the reason being .......?
From where are you getting your stats man.
Regarding Nair population, offcource they were warriors and in a battle lifes are lost.
Tipu himself in future course of history assisted Palazhi Raja, himself a Nair King.
What am saying is that we don't need to paint Tipu on communal lines, Wars were common all throughout the period, and its not just Tipu's men who killed many in malabar, the madurai Maravar(one of the three clans in Thevar) were then assisting the British, what about that?
And last but not the least, I myself am a Nair(Mother being a Ilatu Nair), so am not taking any sides, its just basic facts.
Tipu Sultan is highly misunderstood and his personality highly plagued by misinformation and propaganda throughout History, be it the Britishers who ensured his legacy to become just a Muslim ownership or the Independent Indian government who ensured that none of our Great Heroes got their dues, except for the members of National Congress and the Moghul's(for reasons known to them).
Kings like Tipu, Krishnadevaraya etc etc are viewed as if some small time Kings of some petty kingdoms.
Unfortunate.

Arun thevar

First of all, call yourself as a Malayali not a Mallu. Have some pride Man.

Next,There were many atrocities committed by Tipu Sultan in Malabar, Many were forcibly converted, temples were looted and destroyed.

I am surprised you have a positive outlook against Tipu Sultan.

This is what he said about his Malabar invasion

"Don't you know I have achieved a great victory recently in Malabar and over four lakh Hindus were converted to Islam? I am determined to march against that cursed Raman Nair (Rajah of Travancore) very soon. Since I am overjoyed at the prospect of converting him and his subjects to Islam, I have happily abandoned the idea of going back to Srirangapatanam now."[57]
Hahahah!
Dear Ajesh, give me one single quote of Tipu, that is recorded by then Indian court-men or historians, take it for written you won't find any, all the quotes of aggression and religious intolerance etc etc that shows Tipu in wrong light will all be of English source, not even French, but English.... They were masters in divisive rule and very successful indeed.

Ajesh

From where are you getting your stats man.
Regarding Nair population, offcource they were warriors and in a battle lifes are lost.
Tipu himself in future course of history assisted Palazhi Raja, himself a Nair King.
What am saying is that we don't need to paint Tipu on communal lines, Wars were common all throughout the period, and its not just Tipu's men who killed many in malabar, the madurai Maravar(one of the three clans in Thevar) were then assisting the British, what about that?
And last but not the least, I myself am a Nair(Mother being a Ilatu Nair), so am not taking any sides, its just basic facts.
Tipu Sultan is highly misunderstood and his personality highly plagued by misinformation and propaganda throughout History, be it the Britishers who ensured his legacy to become just a Muslim ownership or the Independent Indian government who ensured that none of our Great Heroes got their dues, except for the members of National Congress and the Moghul's(for reasons known to them).
Kings like Tipu, Krishnadevaraya etc etc are viewed as if some small time Kings of some petty kingdoms.
Unfortunate.
If a person kills the native population, loots temples and engages in forced conversion why shouldn't I paint him on religious lines?

You asked for a non English quote, I will provide it

As it is, whatever the truth may be, truth cannot stay hidden

Arun thevar

If a person kills the native population, loots temples and engages in forced conversion why shouldn't I paint him on religious lines?

You asked for a non English quote, I will provide it

As it is, whatever the truth may be, truth cannot stay hidden
Sure, my friend, and yes truth can't be hidden.
Hence if you will provide me with non-colonial power references and those that weren't written keeping the colonial masters in mind and in a process to assist there objectives, i will accept my mistake and humbly change my opinion.
Though i have these points that am listing down which makes me think otherwise.
1. If Tipu was responsible for forcible conversions, why not mysore and large parts of his land not dominated by muslims, in fact Hindu's are found extensively and in way larger numbers than muslims.
2. Top commanders of Tipu and Hyder Ali were Hindu.
3. If Tipu was soo cruel and brutally murdered hundreds of Keralities, why would Palazhi Raja a self righteous and courageous King, who himself belongs to Nair clan, accept his assistance.
4. Why is it that Temples of more than 500 years old, still exist in regions that were Tipu's stronghold.

There are many more counters, but these many i believe are sufficient to shed some light on the truth.
Moreover, brother, your statement about killings of native, as i have said before, such happenings weren't just restricted to Tipu, kings before and after him have engaged in expansionist ways.
What about the brutality Chola's committed on Chera's( giving you these examples to be able to relate to Kerala).

Anyways keep sharing your views man.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles